How to make laptop run faster

moldy78

Chieftain
I have a Sony Vostro 1510 and run Vista Business. I was wondering what I could do to make the game run better. I'm already running minumum video quality and everything, but the game is pretty slow and choppy. It is certainly playable, but I would like to get it going a little faster. TIA

actuaaly thats not true. I have a laptop from 08 with vista and 3 gb of ram (orignally 2) though that one gb of ram helped, the biggest thing that helped made my computer better is updated my graphics driver via NVIDIA.com. Also i searched online to get directx 10 and windows service pack 2 with other windows updates. I must say doing this has significantly enhanced my computers gaming speed. Before i couldnt play a full game in the normal view unless it was pre industrial era or on a tiny or duel map. Now i can run it on all except huge, and even on huge its a whole lot better than before.

The other option besides buying another laptop could be stressing your computer with Overclock.
You might gain some FPS, sometimes by a large amount, however OC must be done very carefully and if you're not sure, it's better to not do it. Perhaps you could contact a professional on that.

actualy thats not true. I have a laptop from 08 with vista and 3 gb of ram (orignally 2) though that one gb of ram helped, the biggest thing that helped made my computer better is updated my graphics driver via NVIDIA.com. Also i searched online to get directx 10 and windows service pack 2 with other windows updates. I must say doing this has significantly enhanced my computers gaming speed. Before i couldnt play a full game in the normal view unless it was pre industrial era or on a tiny or duel map. Now i can run it on all except huge, and even on huge its a whole lot better than before.
Who doesn't put enough RAM in their computers along with up to date graphics drivers and updated OS?

Who doesn't put enough RAM in their computers along with up to date graphics drivers and updated OS?

Pardon my lack of technical savvy but some of us who are new to computer gaming don't fully understand all of this.

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as Moldy78.

I was given a POS (from what I can tell) HP Pavillion zd5000 and started to play Civ IV on it. And like Moldy78 it is definitely playable but really starts to bog down as the map clears and more units are built.

So if it is possible to upgrade certain components of my laptop to make the game smoother, can anybody refer us to which components need to be upgraded and more information on how a novice can go about doing this?

Thanks for you help ... Civ_King ...

Top Bottom