Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Atari

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • A shoebox

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
even if 360 adds a bluray they can not start making games on blu ray discs. Since then everyone would have to get a new 360. And thats where ps3 is going to get stronger then xbox 360. And if they add a external player I would not get it because it's ugly. Why not get a real blu ray player instead.

ps3 can stream content from a pc and at better support then xbox 360. Since xbox cant even play divx movies.

Later this year ps3 will start with downloadable hd movies. And additional content had been possible since day one.

ps3 is the gaming machine of the following 6-8 years :p

I still don't see how blu-ray discs automatically make the ps3 stronger than the 360...1 blu-ray discs costs more than 20 DVDs, thus it is still cheaper to just make a multidisc game, if you really need that much space.

As for getting a real blu-ray player as opposed to a Blu-Ray add-on...a blu-ray player is over $400, while an add-on will be less than $200...I'll take ugliness over $200 more bucks any day.

The 360 had an update that allows divx movies, and I highly doubt the PS3 has better networking with windows than the 360 does :lol:

even if it does, it has worse networking with other PS3s than the 360 has with other 360s. There's not a single game for the PS3 that I would want to buy if it was also available for the 360, simply because of the better quality networking, multiplayer, and online store.

Sony's been claiming they'll have downloadable movies for a couple years now, I doubt any release dates they mention until it actually goes online...as for 6-8 years from now...there'll be a new Wii and a new 360 by then, so I doubt Sony has the edge then.

yeah, Sony has been bragging for the past few years and so far, they're SUPER far behind in sales and the PS3 is too expensive

I still don't see how blu-ray discs automatically make the ps3 stronger than the 360...1 blu-ray discs costs more than 20 DVDs, thus it is still cheaper to just make a multidisc game, if you really need that much space.

As for getting a real blu-ray player as opposed to a Blu-Ray add-on...a blu-ray player is over $400, while an add-on will be less than $200...I'll take ugliness over $200 more bucks any day.

The 360 had an update that allows divx movies, and I highly doubt the PS3 has better networking with windows than the 360 does :lol:

even if it does, it has worse networking with other PS3s than the 360 has with other 360s. There's not a single game for the PS3 that I would want to buy if it was also available for the 360, simply because of the better quality networking, multiplayer, and online store.

Sony's been claiming they'll have downloadable movies for a couple years now, I doubt any release dates they mention until it actually goes online...as for 6-8 years from now...there'll be a new Wii and a new 360 by then, so I doubt Sony has the edge then.

I bet Im a bit lazy to switch discs ;) Blu ray is making it easier for developers to output full hd. If you are going to say that xbox 360 is having 1080p on all their games I answer with most games really does upscale from 720p to 1080p. Look at halo3 for example, halo3 runs at 640p(not even real high definition) but is listing 1080p.

The quality of games are kinda the same. some framerate issues because the developers has been lazy with porting. But that is getting better now. I dont think there will be much different now.

I dont really care about networking with windows, I dont use my ps3 to write documents and I can already play most movies and music from the network. All games I played online had no problem with lag or anything. Which xbox doesnt have either from what I have seen.

But anyway, for civilization it does not matter if you have xbox or ps3. It will be the exactly same game.

yeah, Sony has been bragging for the past few years and so far, they're SUPER far behind in sales and the PS3 is too expensive

You are blind, in usa ps3 is not as popular, but 2007 ps3 sold more then xbox 360 did worldwide.

http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2008/02/rothbarts-rant-80-microsoft-screwed-up.html

"Let’s talk about numbers, shall we? Not just any numbers mind you, but sales numbers. Sales numbers that show Microsoft sold 7.73m Xbox 360’s in calendar 2007. While Sony sold 8.83m PS3s during that same period. The sources of these numbers are Microsoft and Sony"

Still xbox had a year longer to sell, so ps3 does have less consoles on the market.

[KC]Bantams;6635280 said:
http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/05/15/xbox_360_to_get_bluray_drive.html

I am 100% sure the 360 will have a add on blu ray player by Christmas 2008 if not before then

does the Ps3 allow for downloading Additional content and HD movies and is the ps3 capable of streaming content from a Pc?

360 wins i rest my case :p

Actually you can stream from a PC to a PS3 using the right software :)

This is a very useful thread for those, like me, who are 'in-console-able/console-less' at this time. The long lead-in to CivRev's launch is giving me ample time to decide whether to get a PS3, XBox 360 or NDS. Very difficult 'tho. CivRev looks good for a large-screen display, but then there's the portable aspect and the giant user-base of the DS. I think that it will eventually come down to longevity and whether the chosen console easily downloads new content for single-player as wells as supporting people playing in the same room.

You are blind, in usa ps3 is not as popular, but 2007 ps3 sold more then xbox 360 did worldwide.

http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2008/02/rothbarts-rant-80-microsoft-screwed-up.html

"Let’s talk about numbers, shall we? Not just any numbers mind you, but sales numbers. Sales numbers that show Microsoft sold 7.73m Xbox 360’s in calendar 2007. While Sony sold 8.83m PS3s during that same period. The sources of these numbers are Microsoft and Sony"

Still xbox had a year longer to sell, so ps3 does have less consoles on the market.

um...I don't think anything someone says in a 'MS is screwed up' rant is going to be accurate.

How about we try these numbers:
MS sold 8 million 360s before the Wii and PS3 launched.

The current numbers for each system are as follows:
Wii: 20.7 million
X360: 17.8 million
PS3: 8.8 million

those are worldwide numbers, and provided by this site. Since Sony always states their 'shipped' numbers as 'sold' numbers, I believe that my numbers are more accurate for actual sales. Because of this, I'd say it looks like Sony sold 7 million systems in 2007, while MS sold 9.8 million since Sony's launch(which would give them roughly 8 million in 2007, which is very close to what your person said, he's just comparing the wrong numbers) So in 2007, both systems were fairly close, but handily destroyed by the Wii(in fact, it looks like the Wii sold as much as both of them combined in 2007)

But in the end, it is not the number of systems sold that will determine a winner(per se, that is) but the amount of money the companies make in this generation. At this point, I'd almost say Nintendo is the winner by default, as it is the only company to make a overall profit this generation...MS has made one the last 6 months, but hasn't caught up to its loss from the first 18 months. Sony has made a small profit once, and then only because they sold their credit card division for 3 billion bucks.

I think Sony will start to make money soon(on games, they are still hemorraging money from their console itself), but MS already is making money...I'm not sure either one will catch Nintendo though...they've already make multibillions of dollars, and it looks to still be increasing in speed.

I'm a total 360 freak.....IMHO the system is better, the online experience is solid and it's all American baby! However, there is NOWAY that CIV will be as good on the 360 OR PS3 than it is on the PC.......actually I'm excited about this because it's coming to the Nintendo DS (Yes I own a DS.....but, hey Microsoft has not developed a handheald yet).

CIV on the go.......CIV at work.......CIV on vacation.......CIV at my mother-in-laws house! Even if it is a scaled down version....NO PROBLEM I'LL TAKE IT! :goodjob:

I'm a total 360 freak.....IMHO the system is better, the online experience is solid and it's all American baby! However, there is NOWAY that CIV will be as good on the 360 OR PS3 than it is on the PC.......actually I'm excited about this because it's coming to the Nintendo DS (Yes I own a DS.....but, hey Microsoft has not developed a handheald yet).

CIV on the go.......CIV at work.......CIV on vacation.......CIV at my mother-in-laws house! Even if it is a scaled down version....NO PROBLEM I'LL TAKE IT! :goodjob:

Maybe they'll make Civ Rev for the ZUNE! :lol:

My gaming clan might support this title. If we do, A centurian will be assigned the task of organizing a battleteam. If anyone is interested in playing this title competitively on the 360, follow the link below and check us out.

www.tooclan.com

TOO stands for "The Obsidian Order" - (A special part of Ancient Rome's famous Pratorian Guard) We have been around for approximately 3 years, have about 80 members:hammers::hammers:......and 26 Citizens:gold::gold:

I prefer the playstation 3 over the xbox, for 3 main reasons:

1) Sony have provided quality console entertainment for longer.
2) The PS3 has so much more graphical potential than any other system.
3) The Xbox360 is as ugly as sin.

1) I don't consider the PS2 to be a 'quality' system, when nearly 1/4 of all systems lasted less than 3 years before dying
2) The PS3 has 7 cpu's and a great gpu...the 360 has 3 cpu's and a great gpu...the biggest difference though is the bandwidth available in both for the cpu and gpu to talk...the PS3 has 800MHz. That's not enough enough for run of the mill P4 desktop computers to talk to the gpu. The 360 wins because of its higher bandwidth allowing the cpu and gpu to work closer to their potential(instead of waiting around forever for the bandwidth to transmit their information to each other like the PS3)

3) since when did looks matter? the PS2 and PS1 were pretty ugly too. Since the only two pretty consoles ever are the Wii and PS3, I'd say that #3 doesn't matter at all

I preferred ps3 over xbox due to all the japanese rpgs. Sadly today's consoles mostly bring FPSes as titles which imo are meant for mouse and keyboard really. Now the PS3 has functionallity for this and we can see it in UT3 which I own. However it seems the PS3 is giving a very limited share of the bus for reading mouse values as the mouse is lagging in UT3 and I really doubt they would let that pass if you could have a smooth mouse movement.

As of now there are actually more RPGs for the XBOX even though they are more western styled rpgs. Still if you look back at the PS1 and 2 there were so many great RPGs coming out exclusively for the PS systems. At least I get to play those with the backwards compatibility :p

I think the PS3 will bring more games that I like in the end anyway, many of the xbox exclusives (meaning not on PS3 or Wii) end up on PC and I've got a PC. But your three reasons on why the PS3 should be preferred are nothing that really matters for someone who should choose between the two consoles. But what does it matter? CivRev is coming on both now and they have said it will practically be the same game (except for video chat which isnt in PS3 due to GameSpy exclusive technology)

1) I don't consider the PS2 to be a 'quality' system, when nearly 1/4 of all systems lasted less than 3 years before dying
2) The PS3 has 7 cpu's and a great gpu...the 360 has 3 cpu's and a great gpu...the biggest difference though is the bandwidth available in both for the cpu and gpu to talk...the PS3 has 800MHz. That's not enough enough for run of the mill P4 desktop computers to talk to the gpu. The 360 wins because of its higher bandwidth allowing the cpu and gpu to work closer to their potential(instead of waiting around forever for the bandwidth to transmit their information to each other like the PS3)

3) since when did looks matter? the PS2 and PS1 were pretty ugly too. Since the only two pretty consoles ever are the Wii and PS3, I'd say that #3 doesn't matter at all

1) I didn't say ps2 was perfect, i said that sony has provided consoles taht worked and had good game for much longer than microsoft, stick with the devil you know.

2) What was that gibberish, the PS3 can produce much better quality of games graphically, this is a fact.

3) The look of the console is very important, would you buy a console that took up half you living room, and had dangerous spikes on it that could kill your children (extreme but you wouldn't purchase it)

I preferred ps3 over xbox due to all the japanese rpgs. Sadly today's consoles mostly bring FPSes as titles which imo are meant for mouse and keyboard really. Now the PS3 has functionallity for this and we can see it in UT3 which I own. However it seems the PS3 is giving a very limited share of the bus for reading mouse values as the mouse is lagging in UT3 and I really doubt they would let that pass if you could have a smooth mouse movement.

As of now there are actually more RPGs for the XBOX even though they are more western styled rpgs. Still if you look back at the PS1 and 2 there were so many great RPGs coming out exclusively for the PS systems. At least I get to play those with the backwards compatibility :p

I think the PS3 will bring more games that I like in the end anyway, many of the xbox exclusives (meaning not on PS3 or Wii) end up on PC and I've got a PC. But your three reasons on why the PS3 should be preferred are nothing that really matters for someone who should choose between the two consoles. But what does it matter? CivRev is coming on both now and they have said it will practically be the same game (except for video chat which isnt in PS3 due to GameSpy exclusive technology)

My three reasons were for why i would buy a PS3, they weren't meant for you or anyone else.

Why The 360 is best for me?

- I'm a working guy with a family....I almost always log onto these forums while at work. I've got maybe 2 hours a day afterwork before the wife and kids get home.....So ASAP I want to immediatly start shooting things and blowing stuff up. For me It's all about First person shooters. I'm talkin, Halo, COD2,3,&4, Frontlines, Battlefront, Gears of War, Battlefield, Bioshock, and so on. Microsoft has the drop on that game type. I'm just not the type to come home and load up some kinda fairy-dust japanation Final Fantasy GAY Micky Mouse hupla:nono:. I want a man's game on an American system....and the 360 delivers all the testosterone flavored goodness I can handle.

- I'm a working guy with a family....I almost always log onto these forums while at work. I've got maybe 2 hours a day afterwork before the wife and kids get home.....So ASAP I want to immediatly start shooting things and blowing stuff up. For me It's all about First person shooters. I'm talkin, Halo, COD2,3,&4, Frontlines, Battlefront, Gears of War, Battlefield, Bioshock, and so on. Microsoft has the drop on that game type. I'm just not the type to come home and load up some kinda fairy-dust japanation Final Fantasy GAY Micky Mouse hupla:nono:. I want a man's game on an American system....and the 360 delivers all the testosterone flavored goodness I can handle.

Then why are you on the Civ forums, i'm sure civ would come under the more of an intellectual gamer's choice, as does rpg games. Where as first person shooters are mindless violence releasing games.

Personally i enjoy a bit of both, sometimes i play games that make me think and/or have a nice story to them. (that gay mickey mouse hupula) and sometimes i jsut like to go nuts and let my trigger finger blast away everything in sight.

The PS3 doesn't have one single title released in the western world with what you are using your pink text for. As for FPSes, the PS3 has about the same amount of them. You would be surprised.

2) What was that gibberish, the PS3 can produce much better quality of games graphically, this is a fact.

um...no it isn't. Seriously, if you look at any gaming site other than Playstation Magazine or Sony's website, you'll see screenshots and reviews that state explicitly, over and over again, that games that have come out on both systems look better and play better on the 360.

The PS3 has a more powerful GPU and more CPUs than the 360...THAT is a fact. The 360 has more bus speed and bandwidth, allowing its GPU and CPU to talk faster, thus improving performance to equal or better than the PS3..THAT is a fact.

Just because you dont' understand the workings of computer systems, doesn't mean it is gibberish you can discard in favor of your preferred 'facts'

and...that is the reason why the Xbox had such a sorry lack of RPGs. Sure, FPS games are great...and if you want a lot of FPS games, the 360 is where its at...especially for multiplayer. However...I don't think I've ever heard of Final Fantasy being compared to Mickey Mouse(since when did Mickey Mouse visit a slumlord/pimp to try to gain access to the entrance for a world-killing energy-sucking megacorp?)

Sure, there's Kingdom Hearts...but that's an entirely different type of game for an entirely different audience....if you want a 'man's game', then try Mass Effect, Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata(it is more animated, but the entire game is about death). None of those could be considered gay mickey mouse type games....and they can also provide plenty of adrenaline.

I like FPS games, but my bread and butter games are strategy games and RPGs...games with story and substance will win the battle for my play time hands down....no matter what genre they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom