LINESIII- Forth from the Light

Please let this live!

RL is certainly more important, and I hope things become better things for Iggy.

That said, I'm also crossing my fingers for this NES. I have a civilization I've been wanting to do for a little while now, and with modifications for this world I absolutely love it. Very different from those cultraphilic Bladeists. I'm excited to be able to NES for the summer.

I'm cool with double posting. Here is my civilization. Ideally I would start near the Umbra and Sasaharan cradle, but not in the vicinity of the big, salt Lake Atsu. That cradle explains the agricultural technology of the Fermen (as most is already present), and I tried to reflect those cultures influences in the larger scale institutional thinking of the Fermen (religious and governmental). Additionally, I was going to incorporate their gods into the pantheon the Fermen recognize (the Umbra Nightlord is not scorned but heavily associated with Botulism and Miscarriage, as the Long Night is when those tend to happen). If the cradle's area isn't a possibility the RoHok area would also seem to fit. I wanted to introduce some bovine for the Fermen (for cheese and yogurt and protein) but I didn't want to be too presumptuous yet. The 'nation' is really held together only by their shared cultural practices, the irrigation system and need for the Eighkasi Dub Cult, which is basically an unofficial ecclesia that is controlled by the Flourishbrewer, who holds the secret of when to declare the Pahti, the drunken breeding fest/orgy/ritual so that children are born with the sun. Totally offtopic: If anyone needs a name for their dance punk band, Eighkasi Dub Cult would be a fcuking awesome one.

Fermen
Cities: Eighkasi, mostly decentralized farming villages
Leader: The Flourishbrewer/Swissempire
Culture: Highly communal, cooperative agricultural society with an emphasis on happiness. Pantheistic with the majority of worship channeled to Dub, the goddess of fertility and beer.
Government: Religious depotism, loyalty to The Flourishbrewer and the Eighkasi Dub Cult. On a village level, consensus decisions made by community.
Economy: 2- 2/0
Population: To be determined by me
Army: To be determined by me
Navy: To be determined by me
Technology: Advanced irrigation and agricultural techniques, very basic metalworking (scythes), artistic pottery techniques for jugs, bowls, ovens.
Wonders:
Description: Fermen are a civilization that coalesced around the process now named after them - fermentation. The majority of the society exist in communal farm villages, living off of a diet consisting primarily of beer, bread and fermented vegetables (red cabbage during the Long Night and fermented "day cucumbers" during the Long Day). Village life is marked by specialization of labor (brewers, farmers, bakers, childrearers, hunter/guardians) which is neither inherited nor final - villagers can switch occupations every dawn if they so choose. Matrimony, family and monogamy are foreign concepts - most romantic and sexual needs are addressed through fluid same-sex relationships. A raucous festival is thrown annually as a celebration of the gods/goddesses of fertility, pleasure and beer. During the notorious drunken orgies, women who choose to are impregnated. Festivals are timed by the Flourishbrewer so that all children are born roughly around dawn. From there they are midwifed and raised by the village as a whole and incorporated into the community. All villages have a loose fealty to The Flourishbrewer, a matriarch/priestess figure who functions as a direct connection to Dub and as a voice for the Fermen when they need to speak as one. She and her harem and servants tend to Eighkasi, a religious site that functions as a large storehouse/marketplace and is a major meeting point for their complex irrigation systems.

Top Bottom