Is naval balanced with land now, in your opinion?

Is naval balanced with land now, in your opinion?

• Naval play is very strong now.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Naval play is useful sometimes.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Naval play is situational and often an afterthought.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Naval play is inferior to land-based play.

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters
Cargo ships are OP as hell. Each one is basically a hanging gardens. So, yes, naval play is way strong.

I however avoid island maps due to them being luck based. Get iron = win, Don't get iron = lose(No Frigates)

Cargo ships are OP as hell. Each one is basically a hanging gardens. So, yes, naval play is way strong.

I however avoid island maps due to them being luck based. Get iron = win, Don't get iron = lose(No Frigates)

Iron IS crucial to Renaissance naval power, but there are other ways to get iron. You're telling me you regularly can't deal with lack of iron by:

1. Settling a city on iron (even if 1-tile snow island or whatever)
2. Allying CS with iron and protecting said CS
3. Trading with a player for iron
4. Allying (and signing a defensive pact) with another (honorable) player since you have no iron
5. SPAMMING privateers
6. Ultra-fortifying your coastal cities with cannon and arty (ignoring navy until the Oil era)
7. Deciding to build your cities inland once you find out have have no iron in Classical, thus making them impervious to coastal attack
8. Paying for (or getting a player to gift you) their frigates+the iron (done this a few times myself)
9. Conquering an enemy city that has iron with a surprise invasion

...Civ 5 is a game of overwhelming options.

I'm assuming you're playing MP in the above suggestions since Archipelago with the AI is kind of a joke.

In the past, I always panicked when I lacked a resource, like iron, coal or oil, but if you work towards having good relations with a few civs, it is quite easy to trade. You can sometimes even trade horses for oil or coal, or iron, 1 for 1. As long as you get some resources, you have something to trade for, or you can buy 1 resource for 2 gold as long as they are reasonably happy with you, but you may have to buy them 1 at a time.

As a whole i feel that naval power is very strong and suffers from the general issue with all ranged units which is that they are very hard to counter and made even worse by their high mobility. Once you get logistic with any ranged ship they pretty much become untouchable.
In my current game the main runaway had aircraft long before i had aircraft and carriers to transport them yet i was able to easily take all his coastal cities without fear because i could move into range, fire and move back out of range again so even his aircraft couldn't target my navy. I even managed to take his near coastal cities also.

This used to be more balanced in vanilla in particular where you had to take cities with land units at least and they were very vulnerable but the balance of power started to shift in G&K with the addition of melee ships so you didn't even need a land army in some cases anymore and then even stronger in BNW where all land units could defend themselves and be stacked with a naval unit, not that you really need land units a lot of the time as i already mentioned.

In some situations it isn't really a feasible option, most specifically a pangea map as usually very few important cities are coastal and you have to invest even more in land power but the majority of the time even a small naval force can make a huge difference.

Totally agree - all through history navies have run scared of onshore batteries that could invariably out-range and out-power them. One solution could be to increase range by a hex for land units on a hill firing out to sea.

Perhaps the solution would be to give to siege units a "naval promotion", bonus against ships? In real life, coastal batteries were equipped with naval guns. On the Atlantik Wall, most of the improtant batteries were manned by the Kriegsmarine, maybe because they had some skills in shooting on moving targets :)

Top Bottom