Why would you ever turn units from a mil CS off?

Barking Iguana

Chieftain
Why not just gift them right back (or to another CS) to help keep influence up? Having your allies militarily stronger will usually be good, Unless you're planning to take out the CS later yourself, which is not generally a thing to do.

I can't think of any "optimal strategy" reason. But if you're just playing out the last dozen turns to a Science Victory, the extra units can get annoying.

You're right, that the optimal thing would be to take the unit then gift it (or delete it for gold).

Each military CS specialize in an UU and they will give you unit every a certain number of turns, which I can't remember.
Say if the CS is specialized in longbow and it will give you an unit on next turn but there's two more turn before machinary . Therefore, it's better to stop for one turn and resume after machinary finish research to get longbow.

I hardly ever ask military CS to not donate troops because their troops eventually become useful. Units become so useful that even disbanding them gives you gold. The only issue is that you have to pay the maintenance per unit which is an excuse why you could ask a mil CS to not give me any units.

Units cost maintenance, so if you have 2-3 military CS allies gift you a new unit in one turn you can be like 15 gold in the negative. Might not be a problem for some players with thousands in the bank, but someone might have a research drop because of this. You can sell those units of course right after you have received them.

Each military CS specialize in an UU and they will give you unit every a certain number of turns, which I can't remember.
Say if the CS is specialized in longbow and it will give you an unit on next turn but there's two more turn before machinary . Therefore, it's better to stop for one turn and resume after machinary finish research to get longbow.

Longbow's are awesome. An early game unit with a 3-tile range?

It's like early game artillery.

Say if the CS is specialized in longbow and it will give you an unit on next turn but there's two more turn before machinary. Therefore, it's better to stop for one turn and resume after machinary finish research to get longbow.

Thanks, that's very clever! This should be used IMHO anytime you are close to a tech that unlocks units with a high upgrade cost, for example, right before industrialization.
XB -> gats is like 240 gold. Lancers to anti-tank, also expensive. Really not worth it for a unit with no XP.

I can't think of any "optimal strategy" reason. But if you're just playing out the last dozen turns to a Science Victory, the extra units can get annoying.

You're right, that the optimal thing would be to take the unit then gift it (or delete it for gold).
Agreed.

Allying militaristic CS is most definitely more economical than rush buying land units. The catch is the "now" factor and having to be a little flexible on your unit types. Heroic epic could change my mind, though: I would take a rush buy there more than paying some CS without a gold CS quest.

Many types of units make sense to build and/or rush buy even when close to obsolete. But units you get from a CS? Why not pause a couple turns to get the upgrade free?

Because, I'll forget I paused it. :D
Or, I didn't see my influence and stop to be friend with this CSafter the new tech. :rolleyes:

All else being equal, you're right.

This.

Thanks, that's very clever! This should be used IMHO anytime you are close to a tech that unlocks units with a high upgrade cost, for example, right before industrialization.

I tried this in my current game, got a pike the turn before I would have gotten a lancer type CC. I reload from the turn before, stopped spawning units, and turned it back on the next turn. It took a long time before the UU showed up. I was friends/allies the whole time. I think hitting the button resents the clock to zero. I guess one would have to turn it off several many turns before. But I think the timing has a random element, so no good way to game this.

Top Bottom