LOTR Mod Downloads and Discussion thread

So I tested Rohan out again yesterday on a tiny lakes map, and found 2 problems:
1: The Rohan UB doesn't add culture to the pastures as it says it does. Furthermore I've never seen a mod-made building add culture to a tile when it is supposed to. Perhaps it is impossible?
2: For some reason, many of the map tiles were not what they appeared to be. There was a mountain (part of a E-W range, north of a city-state) that was actually plains (moria much?), allowing passage through the range, and many other tiles had similar inconsistencies. I don't know if this was a problem with the mod or with the map, but I'm guessing the mod. Has anything like this ever happened to anybody else?

...please dont tell me its dead:(

How is it dead? I released a new civ under a week ago and updated the others as well...

And bandersnatching, I'll look into 1 now but I'm 100% sure that 2 can't be my mod. There's nothing in there that could possibly do that. It must just be some strange bug.

Edit: But I do have a very exam intensive fortnight coming up so don't expect responses very soon until thursday of next week. And I really do need help. As you all know, I'm hopeless when it comes to art. I really hope Semprini's just taken a break and hasn't actually left. Obviously for now I'll carry on doing the xml for the Dwarves and waiting for the art

Hey,

Thanks for making these LOTR Mods.. I just downloaded Rohan, Gondor, Isengard a week or so ago off of steam.. Big fan of the movies n books so it was awesome to play.. Im currently about 460 turns or so into a North vs South map battle.. Im Gondor and im team up with AI Rohan Vs Two Isengards ... Talk about a battle the whole game so far.. Have been in some awesome ones.. We are now all 4 huge Civs with massive armies.. Nukes, Bombers etc.. Lol weird playin these super old middle earth civs with modern tech ....

Would really like to see the Elves get a Civ sometime soon.. I wouldnt worry about splitting them up ... Elves are well Elves.. They should just be one bad A civ altogether.. A few special buildings, Some special ranged units (Archers Etc), Some speed, range, visablitly increases and stealth.. Maybe something to do with the jungle, forests also..

Thanks again...

Awesome!! im learning the art part of modding, so when i finish learning i could help u. i only thought it was dead because u said the other quit...thanks for not giving up!! ill help when when im ready

Awesome!! im learning the art part of modding, so when i finish learning i could help u. i only thought it was dead because u said the other quit...thanks for not giving up!! ill help when when im ready

That's awesome, thanks! I hope that he hasn't left but why don't you try making a couple of icons and then show me what you've done? Take your time, like I said I'm busy for the next couple of weeks s there's no rush.

Right then, next up: The Dwarves.

Leader: Dain II Ironfoot

Ability: All land units can move through mountains, +1 gold and culture from mines. (May be nerfed, quite OP at the moment)

UU: Axe thrower - Crossbowman replacement, stronger in both melee and ranged but requires iron.

UU: Stronghold Guardian - Longswordsman replacement, bonus on defense and slightly more powerful

UB: Dwarven Blacksmith - Forge replacement, needs either Iron or Mithril nearby (new resource!), +1 production for each. Only +10% production when building land units (as opposed to 15%) but all land units built in that city gain the 'Advanced Armor' promotion giving them a 10% combat bonus on defense.

Mithril will be similar to gold and silver. Base yield of 2 gold but also 1 production. Improved with a mine. Counts as a luxury resource and will give happiness when improved like other luxuries

Hey,

Thanks for making these LOTR Mods.. I just downloaded Rohan, Gondor, Isengard a week or so ago off of steam.. Big fan of the movies n books so it was awesome to play.. Im currently about 460 turns or so into a North vs South map battle.. Im Gondor and im team up with AI Rohan Vs Two Isengards ... Talk about a battle the whole game so far.. Have been in some awesome ones.. We are now all 4 huge Civs with massive armies.. Nukes, Bombers etc.. Lol weird playin these super old middle earth civs with modern tech ....

Would really like to see the Elves get a Civ sometime soon.. I wouldnt worry about splitting them up ... Elves are well Elves.. They should just be one bad A civ altogether.. A few special buildings, Some special ranged units (Archers Etc), Some speed, range, visablitly increases and stealth.. Maybe something to do with the jungle, forests also..

Thanks again...

Didn't even see this post... I'm glad you're enjoying the mod :) The elves will be added, don't worry. But I will split them up. Making them one civ would be like making men one civ, there were just too many of them throughout Arda for me to be able to do justice to them with one civ. But I'll try to keep them to 4 maximum, don't want too many

Yeah, everyone knows that Sauron and Aragorn were always best of friends...

But seriously, I coded him to be almost impossible to make friends with and this happens?

Attachments

• Friendly Sauron.jpg
    Friendly Sauron.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 585
Hey l found this mod with really cool models and units, maybe u could ask the author if u could use them for this mod! http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8905982#post8905982
And I also found this tutorial that shows how to bring civ4 units into civ5!! I'm still learning it but it would be epic if you could use these units! http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=394056

Actually there's a lot of awesome units in the civ4 fantasy units section!!

Wow, some of those units look really good! I did try to convert some civ4 units into civ5 a while ago but not with much success because the files I was using were incomplete ones from the Civ4 Lord of the Rings mod. If you'd like to try and convert some, then that would be awesome!

First of all, well done on the work that has already completed on this Mod! I'm eagerly looking forward to the finished product.

I personally had started to work on one myself before I found your work, and abandoned my project. I'm pretty newb with mod-work, but if I can help in any way then I'm willing.

------ ------ ------ -------

That said, I have some ideas to offer since I was going through this creative process myself.

1.) Civilizations: I think the Elves could rest at just three splinter groups: Lothlorien, Mirkwood, and Rivendell. The Grey Havens could be a city state that offers culture bonuses to other elf civs and sea resources to any allied civ, and Alqualonde could offer Happiness bonuses to elf civs for having units gifted to it. Valinor could be a city-state that spawns powerful military units like Wizards (to replace Paratroopers) and Eagles (to replace Fighter Planes) to an ally, corresponding to how Manwe sent the Eagles to help the Fellowship and how Gandalf was a Maya commissioned by Valinor in the LoTR storyline .

2.) Hobbit Uniques: I like the idea of the Shire being rewarded for trade (Merchant Civ) and seeking luxuries for Happiness bonuses. The Shire could have a penalty for higher population but a bonus production of resources that use plantations. Since you're adding Mithril already (which the Dwarven Blacksmith can use), perhaps the Pipeweed or Tobacco resource could be added that the Hobbits can leverage somehow. For military units, it would make sense to have Hobbit units be weaker, but perhaps they could uniquely sneak across rival territory without an Open Borders agreement or sneak past Barbarians, as a nod to the way the small Hobbits frequently slip across the LoTR world in the storyline.

3.) Monsters: Barbarians could be used to throw down some interesting monsters like trolls, goblins, and dragons. It'd be great if Smaug could get worked in, guarding a Wonder (his treasure), but that's some complex coding.

4.) Mirkwood Uniques: I had the idea of Mirkwood civilian units (settlers, workers, Great People) moving across woods like they are a road (warpath, essentially), and Mirkwood archers that deal additional damage to units if the archer unit is on a forest tile. Since it wouldn't make since for Mirkwood Elves to demolish their own forest, I strongly suggest replacing mines / farms / plantations with unique improvements that are overlayed on top of forested tiles without clearing them: perhaps Orchards (farms), Groves (plantations), and Timber Mines (mines). This would be repeated for Lothlorien and the Ents. Also, Mirkwood Elves should have a start bias for forests.

5.) Lothlorien Uniques: I had the idea of Lothlorien civilian units (settlers, workers, Great People) having no terrain penalties, and Lothlorien archers having a increased range of 1 more tile. Just like the Mirkwood Elves, it wouldn't make since for a computer-controlled Lothlorien civ to wipe out the forest around it, so it could employ the same unique improvements that I suggested for Mirkwood and the Ents. Like Mirkwood (and the Ents), Lothlorien should have a start bias for forests.

6.) Rivendell Uniques: Rivendell is a very transit-oriented place. Elves pass through on the way to the Grey Havens, and Rivendell has a lot of connections with other places. This could be represented by Rivendell having a bonus for Open Borders deals (culture, perhaps) or a movement bonus within elven territory (even if it isn't their own). In the film, Rivendell elves are featured using swords, and Elrond is the caretaker for Aragorn's eventual sword - perhaps a special elven swordsman unit would work well here. Since Rivendell also is associated with healing, perhaps Rivendell units heal faster while in friendly territory.

7.) Dwarves: I love your plans for the Dwarves immensely! The only thing I might add is the possible use of terraced farms by dwarves since they are more likely to live in the hills than the plains...and for that matter, a start-bias for them to begin games in hilly terrain or near mountains.

8.) Magic: Have you given any thought to magic? I know that primarily this is a function of the storyline's Wizard race, but elves and dwarves also are connected with magic in the books. I'm not sure how this would be done (though I have ideas), and the animation effects might be a pain. If Wizards get a cameo anywhere, this would definitely be worth looking into.

Hope this offers some creative refreshment! Thanks again for all the hard work you've already done! I look forward to any feedback you have. :)

First of all, well done on the work that has already completed on this Mod! I'm eagerly looking forward to the finished product.

I personally had started to work on one myself before I found your work, and abandoned my project. I'm pretty newb with mod-work, but if I can help in any way then I'm willing.

------ ------ ------ -------

That said, I have some ideas to offer since I was going through this creative process myself.

1.) Civilizations: I think the Elves could rest at just three splinter groups: Lothlorien, Mirkwood, and Rivendell. The Grey Havens could be a city state that offers nice bonuses to other elf civs, as well as Alqualonde. Valinor could be a city-state that offers extreme bonuses and simply be a hard-to-get-to place.

2.) Hobbit Uniques: I like the idea of the Shire being rewarded for trade (Merchant Civ) and seeking luxuries for Happiness bonuses. The Shire has a lower population, so perhaps some disencentives from population increase. I think bonus production of resources from plantations and happiness bonuses on luxuries, coupled with (if this is possible) some sort of bonus reward from trade deals (like a culture boost). Higher unhappiness from war is a good idea too. For military units, perhaps the small size of hobbits could allow for some unique hobbit units to sneak through enemy territory unnoticed or past barbarians.

3.) Monsters: Barbarians could be used to throw down some interesting monsters like trolls. It'd be great if Smaug could get worked in, guarding a Wonder (his treasure), but that's some complex coding.

4.) Mirkwood Uniques: I had the idea of Mirkwood civilian units (settlers, workers, Great People) moving across woods like they are a road (warpath, essentially), and Mirkwood archers that deal additional damage to units if the archer unit is on a forest tile.

5.) Lothlorien Uniques: I had the idea of Lothlorien civilian units (settlers, workers, Great People) having no terrain penalties, and Lothlorien archers having a increased range of 1 more tile.

6.) Rivendell Uniques: Rivendell is a very transit-oriented place. Elves pass through on the way to the Grey Havens, and Rivendell has a lot of connections with other places. This could be represented by Rivendell having a bonus for Open Borders deals (culture, perhaps). In the film, Rivendell elves are featured using swords, and Elrond is the caretaker for Aragorn's eventual sword - perhaps a special elven swordsman unit would work. Since Rivendell also is associated with healing, perhaps Rivendell units heal faster while in friendly territory.

7.) Magic: Have you given any thought to magic? I know that primarily this is a function of the storyline's Wizard race, but elves and dwarves also are connected with magic in the books. I'm not sure how this would be done (though I have ideas), and the animation effects might be a pain, but worth some thought.

Hope this offers some creative refreshment! Thanks again for all the hard work you've already done! I look forward to any feedback you have. :)

Thanks for the feedback and ideas! I'll take more time to look into them later, like I said I have a ****ton of revision at the moment so very little time, but nice ideas. The main problem of course is that lots of the cool stuff (like the grey havens giving bonuses to elves) is impossible without source code... But I will try!

Thanks for the response! That was quick.

Please note that I have edited my previous entry to reflect a cleaner version of my suggestions along with a point or two I had forgotten to mention. I know you're busy, but feel free to reference it as you go along!

If you are looking for other ideas on how to implement fantasy in CiV, I suggest looking at the Faerun scenario. I don't think there's a thread for it, but the person who made it completely revised the tech tree, lots of buildings, most units, etc. You can get it from the in-game mod browser. I bring this up because Rohan teaming up with Isengard and taking out Gondor with stealth bombers seems a bit anachronistic, and I think that it would be cool if the middle-earth mods were more immersive. Anyway, thanks for the work you've done on this. The mod has great potential.

If you are looking for other ideas on how to implement fantasy in CiV, I suggest looking at the Faerun scenario. I don't think there's a thread for it, but the person who made it completely revised the tech tree, lots of buildings, most units, etc. You can get it from the in-game mod browser. I bring this up because Rohan teaming up with Isengard and taking out Gondor with stealth bombers seems a bit anachronistic, and I think that it would be cool if the middle-earth mods were more immersive. Anyway, thanks for the work you've done on this. The mod has great potential.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll check the steam workshop (no In-game browser any more) to see if I can find it. I think total conversion will probably come once I've done Hobbits and Dwarves, then I can carry on adding civs

So I found this mod like an hour ago, haven't even downloaded it yet but it sounds like the greatest thing ever. I'd love to help out any way I can. I do electronic art and I'm somewhat decent at game design so I'll see if I can brainstorm some civ ideas. Just let me know what you need and I'll try to get it done.

Top Bottom