Choosing civilizations..

Liberty isn't as inferior to tradition as it seems. It has policies that provide improve stability, and IMO is almost in every way superior then tradition accept for one aspect, happiness. Although liberty is great, I would advise picking up the pyramids so you can try and stay on top of the happiness issue you'll have.

Oh I meant more in relation to those Civs. Rome for example goes into negative GPT if you go gonzo with his UA unless you offset with a great variety of lux.

For Celts, Piety seems a better opener. If I try Liberty I try to be aggressive with Landgrabbing and for Rome that seems to get a bit too severe and with the Celts it just doesn't need to happen.

For Civs like Poland, Attila etc Liberty is downright sexy but replace them with Rome and for some reason I get weaker outcomes.

Carthage has that Phoenician heritage which allows your units go over a mountain with the cost of 50 hp if your unitends up on top of a peak. You can sneak up on wworkers that are on the other side of a mountain with a scout and take away workers if needed. Free harbors can establish trade routes early if you have your capital on the coast which most likely will happen from coastal start and your other city in the same coast without having to make a road.

Trying to play every civ.

Cant seem to bring myself to play these leaders though, the only ones i havent played (past the classical) as yet.

Shaka
Pedro
Oda
Nebuchadnezzar
Kamehameha
Hiawatha
Harun
Harald
Genghis
Dido
Darius
Attila
Askia

I like France. I play France with a focus on a commerce and warfare while racking up culture.

So how do you make their UA good, exactly?

I never really understood how to optimize theming. For one thing, it's really hard to do. And the bonus culture seems paltry.

I am currently playing JFD's Lincoln Mod. This is one of the most fun Civs I have played as yet.

UA: Cities autobuild gold buildings (it's pretty crazy)
They also get a bonus military UA when there is a DOW.

UBs: Parrott Rifle (Cannon replacement.Like Korean Hwa'cha it is buffed vs units/nerfed vs cities)
Ironclad replacement (forgot what it's called)

Great for Diplomatic victories and defensive warfare!

Poland, Morroco and The Shoshone are my favorite.

Poland is awesome because of the free policies. I find it pretty easy to win with them on Emperor.

The Shoshone have the great expanse which is awesome imo but I really like the Pathfinders. Ive had 3 Pathfinders before turn into Composite Bowman before it was even possible to study the technology. It's a huge boost in the beginning.

Morroco is my favorite civ to build a gold powerhouse with.

In my opinion best civilizations is Babylon, Korea and Austria.
Babylon and Korea are pretty good in science and I managed to win with them on every difficulty except deity.
Austria is really good civ because super good UA and really good UB.

So how do you make their UA good, exactly?

I never really understood how to optimize theming. For one thing, it's really hard to do. And the bonus culture seems paltry.

If you hover over the bonus bit it tells you how to get it. It's simple to match up with swapping. Then finish off aesthetics and get double, double bonus..so Louvre has a bonus of 4 when matched, up to 8 with France's AU and up again to 16 with the finisher

a lot of people choose germany... is that because they are tank rushers?

I like portugal. you can earn so much money! its crazy!!!

In my opinion best civilizations is Babylon, Korea and Austria.
Babylon and Korea are pretty good in science and I managed to win with them on every difficulty except deity.
Austria is really good civ because super good UA and really good UB.

The problem I have with Austria's UA is the sub-optimal placement of city states. Very rarely do I see a city state and think "That looks like perfect place for a city!". It's always a few spaces away from a great position, always missing a couple of fish or banana tiles just outside of its 3 tile border which would make it good. Generally the exceptions are if natural wonders are in the borders.

The problem I have with Austria's UA is the sub-optimal placement of city states. Very rarely do I see a city state and think "That looks like perfect place for a city!". It's always a few spaces away from a great position, always missing a couple of fish or banana tiles just outside of its 3 tile border which would make it good. Generally the exceptions are if natural wonders are in the borders.

play on a map with maximum CS and choose patronage and do whatever it takes to get money. use your merchants to fill your capital with merchant houses. don't make any DoF ever. you can basically buy the entire world without ever going to war or building a military unit (they are gifted so often while you save to buy your military CS ally).

I'm more of a builder/explorer/diplomat/defender than a Warmonger, special units are therefore not really something I look for. I prefer to hang back and mess around with City States, briberies and the World Congress.

My favourite civs therefore reflect this ;);

Ethiopia
Egypt
Greece
Korea
Shoshone

Indonesia is my favourite. They are deceptively powerful, but above all, they're just really damn fun :p I enjoy building a wide intercontinental trading empire a lot :p.

Morocco come second, and are my nation of choice on a Pangaea/Continents map, although I find those map types rather dull, as particularly on Pangaea navies are largely unimportant. Small Continents and Archipelago are much more interesting, despite a rather dodgy naval AI at times.

Recently i played with More civilization's Burma mod, and i won domination victory... also had over 100% influence on other leader...
Besides, i love playing with Zulu, Maya and Morocco...

I like cultured civillizations the most.
Favourite's got to be Greece, because I love their ancient culture, however, Carthage, Byzantium, Rome and Japan, among others, are also great to play as.
Dislike those which I do not consider real civs, especially the Huns.

Top Bottom