Some Tech Questions?

Hi, I'm not exactly technologically illiterate, and usually can figure things out once someone has pointed the way, but I'm lost on a couple of issues.

1. How do you save screenshots?

Does it matter if I'm using a Mac vs. PC?

I'm sure this is posted somewhere on this site, but I couldn't find it with a quick search. If so, please just provide a link.

I've found that the screenshots some have posted here to be pretty educational, and I've got a couple that I'd love to share/ask questions about.

2. How do you share a saved game so others can play it?

I just rolled a very fun start with Inca (Immortal, standard speed, huge map, everything else random). They have their own island, full of hills and mountains, and the GB Reef is within easy reach on the SW shore. There's enough room on the island for 4-6 cities (depending on one's preference). I think that this would be a wonderful challenge and I'd love to see how others play this set-up.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There are multiple ways to have screen shots.

A lot of digital cameras can take photos of the screen that are almost as good as screen shots when the site is going to compress anyway (if the person is careful doing so)

If you have any Microsoft Word, MS Excel, or MS Outlook you can take a window screenshot within Microsoft Office. (In the first two cases this does embed in within a word or excell document and in the last case incorporated into an email.)

If this is using Steam App (this will always be the case for PC, but not always for Mac) then pull up the steam overlay, and there is an option to take a screen shot there, when you do it will be automatically uploaded to your steam account. [To get it back to your desktop you then use more options there to download it back.)

2. Post the save file, the 4000 BC initial save will be within the autosaves folder.
They must at least the same DLC that you did to load it [unless you had disabled some of your DLC before starting the game in the first place.] So on the thread you use to post it you need to state the DLC you have.

Screenshots can be taken by pressing f12 or print screen.
If you save a game during game, you can find a saved file in saves folder of civilization 5.

I just use the Print Screen button, and can find the captured screenshots in the same My Documents-based Civ5 folder as save games, etc., are stored in (PC).

For some reason they save in an unusual format, so I use IrfanView to convert them into jpegs or whatever.

I just use the Print Screen button, and can find the captured screenshots in the same My Documents-based Civ5 folder as save games, etc., are stored in (PC).

For some reason they save in an unusual format, so I use IrfanView to convert them into jpegs or whatever.

If you use Steam overlay, then it will be uploaded as a JPEG even if you don't have that software.

There are multiple ways to have screen shots.

A lot of digital cameras can take photos of the screen that are almost as good as screen shots when the site is going to compress anyway (if the person is careful doing so)

If you have any Microsoft Word, MS Excel, or MS Outlook you can take a window screenshot within Microsoft Office. (In the first two cases this does embed in within a word or excell document and in the last case incorporated into an email.)

If this is using Steam App (this will always be the case for PC, but not always for Mac) then pull up the steam overlay, and there is an option to take a screen shot there, when you do it will be automatically uploaded to your steam account. [To get it back to your desktop you then use more options there to download it back.)

2. Post the save file, the 4000 BC initial save will be within the autosaves folder.
They must at least the same DLC that you did to load it [unless you had disabled some of your DLC before starting the game in the first place.] So on the thread you use to post it you need to state the DLC you have.

I guess I should have been more specific. The methods the replies refer to probably would have worked on my PC, but I don't think they will on my Mac. For whatever reason, when I log into Steam and load Civ 5, I can't see any of my tool bars. This means I can't access Word, Excel, or even the program I put on my toolbar (Grab) for such activities. On a PC, I still had a toolbar, but not on the Mac. Yeah, I'm guessing there is an easy solution to this, and I'll feel like an idiot when someone points it out to me, but I really don't know how to get the toolbar up while I'm in the game.

As for saved games, I'll come back to this later…….let me tackle one problem (that makes me feel stupid) at a time.

I've only been using a Mac for less than a year, so don't know all of the shortcut keys. Escape would have pulled up the toolbar on a PC….doesn't work on a Mac.

Again, thanks for the help, but none of the solutions offered work unless I can get the toolbar up. Now I feel like I'm rambling.

For whatever reason, when I log into Steam and load Civ 5, I can't see any of my tool bars. This means I can't access Word, Excel, or even the program I put on my toolbar (Grab) for such activities.

I am on a Mac, but I don't think F12 works (even though some other hot-keys use the Windows default). I use Grab (like I would for any other program), but I am not sure how (or if) that would work for a full screen app (Grab has a timer count-down option though). You don't have to run Civ5 full screen unless you want to. Video options can't be changed while playing a game.

I am on a Mac, but I don't think F12 works (even though some other hot-keys use the Windows default). I use Grab (like I would for any other program), but I am not sure how (or if) that would work for a full screen app (Grab has a timer count-down option though). You don't have to run Civ5 full screen unless you want to. Video options can't be changed while playing a game.

Does Command-Shift-3 not work in game? It will save a PNG to the desktop.

Top Bottom