New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I gave up on breaking Russia into smaller nations, it created too many to deal with. I believe their were about 98 nations in the world even after I eliminated a bunch. With school started now I can actually focus more on developing a Nes, and I've though of one . It's a modern age Nes, as before, set in about the year 2045. Nuclear technology is still available but all nuclear warhead have either been dismantled or confiscated by a world organization. This organization turned rogue and now has become deep in shadow, though they still do their best to prevent nuclear warheads from being developed, their isn't much to stop other nations now that this organization has lost the support of nations. Rebel groups do run a muck, it's like an age of terrorism I suppose. No/few nations are safe from these terrorist cells, and they are very hard to find and destroy. And well, that's all I have so far, but more is coming to me as I think. Im curous as to what you think of the idea so far.

I had an idea for an NES, it's really quite clever actually:

It set in a random world(well for you all, I'm quite used to it :) ) with 1840s technology. But that's not all! There's magic too! Not overly complicated magic: Most troops know a few simple spells, and there are wizards, who mainly power ship/airship(think a ship that flies) cannons with elemental spells.

It's already set in nation-style, so I think it'd be easy turning into an NES, the problem is making the magical workable. And I'm wondering, would anyone actually play in an NES like this?

I got the idea from it; FF9 mainly. Nations and most of the races are unique however.

Drake Rlugia said:
I had an idea for an NES, it's really quite clever actually:

It set in a random world(well for you all, I'm quite used to it :) ) with 1840s technology. But that's not all! There's magic too! Not overly complicated magic: Most troops know a few simple spells, and there are wizards, who mainly power ship/airship(think a ship that flies) cannons with elemental spells.

It's already set in nation-style, so I think it'd be easy turning into an NES, the problem is making the magical workable. And I'm wondering, would anyone actually play in an NES like this?

Sounds absolutely great! I love Fantasy-reality airship inspired games!

@Iggy: It'd be a story NES, I have no idea how to work other kinds of NESes.

I'm glad I some people find the idea interesting. I want to make sure some people will join before I go through with it.

I've been thinking of making a fairly basic rules NES [with a twist, of course] based around a near-future Mars Colonization scenario, honestly. And this time, I might actually go through with it as I have no fear of grounding this year. Since I'm, uh, actually doing my school work...

I'm working on the rules of My NES, which are done(I'm doing nations now). I just need to work on a condensed history of the game for you guys, then I can post a preview. Perhaps tomorrow or Sunday a preview will be up.

EDIT: Okay finished a bit earlier than I thought..expect a preview tonight!

Would anyone join an Aegean NES like the one Sheep had just about the time I joined up (on page 5)?

I just looked over that Agean NES. Looked interesting, although the rules seemed, for lack of a better word, bad. I would be interested in joining a NES based on the same concept if the rules were drastically changed.

Oh, by all means. I was thinking of centering it more on war, and making it a little more realistic, that is, no catapults (if the Spartans had had catapults, the Peloponnesian War, the greatest classical era war ever, would not have lasted 27 years), none of that god stuff, because either we have a good list with all of the gods used as patrons (like Athena, a popular one) for their cities, or none at all, and they are just referred to in stories or diplo. No swordsmen, just the phalanx, peltasts, psiloi, and very weak cavalry. The phalanx wasn't a bad attacker at all, its uses were just very limited...just triremes for the navy, because biremes were really just scout ships by that time...Limited number of hoplites, based on your population. Territory would probably be that of 431 BC, and all of the Athenian Empire's possessions can act for themselves, but they can refuse to pay up for tax assessments, or to not send troops or ships, or revolt, just like in OTL. I'd like to flesh out the rules a little more, and that map needs to be reworked.

Either that, or I could just make a Toukon NES-style thing with the Hellenistic states.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of starting a NES some time soon.

STOP!

Don't think "Oh, look at this, noob NESer starting one month after joining the community!"

I'm not going to start it right away. I'm going to get more NESing experience first. But anyway, here's the basic idea:

LINES- World of Magic

This is an althistory of sorts, but the point of diversion is so far back that it will be played as a fresh start. Basically a mass of intelligent particles are knocked off course while drifting through deep space. They eventually hit earth, instead of narrowly missing as they did in OTL. Different particles blasted away from each other, and spread all over the earth.

These sentient particles need more description. They are capable of working together to move physical objects, or subtly changing the minds of creatures. They are lured towards intelligent life, where they can base themselves on and apply their powers. They found an infant race, just beginning to develop civilizations: Humans.

Humans quickly learned to bend the particles to their own uses. Although all humans had small magical capablity, some would teach themselves to turn their gift into tremendous power. Early magic users took up certain types of magic, but since different types of magic react violently with each other, a nation can only use one type.

Some types of magic: Nature magic, Pyromancy, Necromancy...

I have more types planned, but that's the general idea. Each magic type will have its bonuses.

From the beginning, magicians would also change animals to suit their purposes. Possibly the most formidable creature they created was the dragon. (Hey, what's a magic NES without dragons?) Some grew giant spiders, or other mythological creatures. Though I think I'll let everyone use dragons, more minor legendary creatures will be UUs. Picture it! Giant Spider cavalry! YEE-HAW!

Sorry.

Regular military will still be useful, but they will be supported by wizards and rare mythological creatures. Regular military will be divided up by general troop type (spearmen, archers, swordsmen...), and upgrades will affect the entire army and navy.

The eco. system will be fairly simple, points to spend on training military, increasing culture, etc. 1 point per turn can be invested into raising the economy to the next level, where you have one more spending point.

The nation you create can be totally made up, since earth's history was changed so drastically.

Stories will get you bonuses, the better written, the better bonus.

The eco. system will be fairly simple, points to spend on training military, increasing culture, etc. 1 point per turn can be invested into raising the economy to the next level, where you have one more spending point.

Trade will be as it is in many other NESes, 2 eco. to start a trade route, and one eco. earned every 3 turns from the trade.

So that's my idea. Constructive criticism and opinions are more than welcome, I'm begging for them. It's the only way anything improves.

And has anyone ever used this idea before? If so, tell me how it went and how it should be changed.

HORAY!!!!! finaly a magic NES!! W00T!!! i cant wait, the eco system should be improved obviously maybe use Kamilians system (i like it a lot lol) more indepth units, certaint types of magic and what not

Yes, I like the general idea too.

Lord Iggy- Thanks for taking my advice and taking out Druidism. But I do think that Hoodoo should be included (I am planning on taking either Louisiana or Haiti, and Hoodoo would definately be my choice for that). I also thought of another typ eof magic to include, Shinobi. Shinobi is a Japanese magical system associated with Ninjitsu. If you need any help/advice/information on any of this stuff, PM me. I have researched on a lot of this and would be more than happy to help.

No way Israelite! I'm a big fan of hollywood voodoo! I claim the zombie empire of southern north america! And I suggest that people invent/introduce their own magic/religions.

Tossi- I am guessing that you did not read what I posted in the other thread Lord Iggy posted his idea in. Vodun (or as Hollywood has dubed it, Voodoo) is a traditional African religion that is practiced by just about (literrally) 100% of Haiti's, Benin's, and Togo's populations, along with many people in other African countiries and communities in West Africa and the Carribean. I am friends with several people who would sooner see Hollywood dead for creating this image of Vodun than see themselves inherit several million dollars (one of these people is actually thinking of joining the NESing community here BTW). Hoodoo on the other hand is a folk-magic system practiced mainly in the bayou country, but also in West Africa (forgot to mention this in my other description of Hoodoo). I think using existing systems of magic is a good idea, but they should be flexible. For instance, if I use Hoodoo, I should be able to include elements of other systems when I come into contact with others.
Lord Iggy- I think that you should watch people's stats and make sure that they aren't doing anything outrageous. For instance, the Egyptians should not be using Shinobi and the Japanese should not be using Hoodoo.

eck!! to much technical stuff for more
anyway making up religions and magics would be UBER KUHL!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
i was going to say, maybe put some other land masses along with the world map, making it bigger or just different

Top Bottom