God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

I second that, ironically enough, I am buying this expansion primarily because of the religion xD (did I finally used the word "ironic" correctly?

Third-ed... It feels like as soon as we were told we are getting religion everyone want to turn it off because they are atheists in real life.

Isn't the joy of civ that we can play that Aztec Confucian megalomaniac communist in his bid to.... Build the first spaceship in the world?

I also nuke cities a lot in civ... It doesn't reflect my world view. I'd be limiting my self to the gam if I played like that, but each to there own:)

True.

I believe that at the last third of the game religions are losing it's greater effect becoming literally obsolete, or something like that.

I believe that at the last third of the game religions are losing it's greater effect becoming literally obsolete, or something like that.

The way I've interpreted what I've read so far, it seems like they will create 3 periods in the game:

1st 1/3 - Religion is most important, Espionage is non-existant
middle 1/3 - Religion starts to diminish, Espionage comes into play
final 1/3 - Religion wanes, Espionage flourishes and comes to the forefront

True.

Well I doubt they would become literally obsolete. Other factors may be more significant, though.

Basically I see the new impacts of the game

1. Religion
2. Religion+Espionage
3. Religion+Epionage+Late Game Social Policies (some of which interfere with Religion)

Some of that may be because Piety will probably enhance the effects of religion, but in the later game
1) you take Rationalism
or
2) you take Free Religion in Piety (meaning religion might be very important, but nort as much diplomatically)

It's better gameplay if they become "obsolete". There's only so much the mind of the human player can focus on.

Early Game: Exploration + Expansion + Founding Religion
Middle Game: Focus (Science, Culture, Conquest) + World Religion + Funds for City States/Rest Expansion
Late Game: Victory Race + World Wars and Nukes + Espionage

It makes perfect sense gameplay wise if Religion is replaced by Espionage. That doesn't mean it needs to become obsolete and have no function anymore. But rather since Religion seems to be built upon, you will create it in the first stages of the game and with some technologies (obsoletion of missionaries/inquisitors), the social policies and the size of the map, at some time the religions will be spread and set in stone and there are few decisions left to make there. But the bonusses stay of course. You can obviously decide to draw out that and keep with the religion, but you will miss out on better espionage probably, sort of like a soft barrier.

It's better gameplay if they become "obsolete". There's only so much the mind of the human player can focus on.

Early Game: Exploration + Expansion + Founding Religion
Middle Game: Focus (Science, Culture, Conquest) + World Religion + Funds for City States/Rest Expansion
Late Game: Victory Race + World Wars and Nukes + Espionage

It makes perfect sense gameplay wise if Religion is replaced by Espionage. That doesn't mean it needs to become obsolete and have no function anymore. But rather since Religion seems to be built upon, you will create it in the first stages of the game and with some technologies (obsoletion of missionaries/inquisitors), the social policies and the size of the map, at some time the religions will be spread and set in stone and there are few decisions left to make there. But the bonusses stay of course. You can obviously decide to draw out that and keep with the religion, but you will miss out on better espionage probably, sort of like a soft barrier.

Well I agree with that, in the sense that religion may (and probably should) obsolete in the sense that you can't get any new benefits out of it.

I don't think they should reach a "set in stone" point... you should still be able to spread your religion in the later game.
However,
1. It will probably be hard
2. It will probably have little diplomatic effect

But If the AIs in your game don't adopt any of those 3 late social policies, and they all have Piety... then I would like to see a highly religious modern world as a possibility.

They did talk about Religion becoming "less important" how it works I have no idea.

I doubt you're gonna lose the effects and stuff, but it's just won't be as necessary to spread it and such.

When they said it was less important, it seemed like they were speaking in terms of diplomacy, not the efficacy of the Beliefs.

Third-ed... It feels like as soon as we were told we are getting religion everyone want to turn it off because they are atheists in real life.

Fourth-ed.

Well I agree with that, in the sense that religion may (and probably should) obsolete in the sense that you can't get any new benefits out of it.

I don't think they should reach a "set in stone" point... you should still be able to spread your religion in the later game.
However,
1. It will probably be hard
2. It will probably have little diplomatic effect

That's what I am saying, Soft Barriers = Less and less returns for the investment; the same as one culture in the beginning of the game is much more worth than one culture in the end, regarding bordrer expansion and social policies. Soft barriers are almost alway better thand hard bans.

My set in stone was more pointed towards the belief-system where once all are picked there's not much left to do there... This actually means that Religion is really a race towards the benefits.

I just made a startling discovery

The first religion screenshot completely lacks the "Espionage" button" (I doubt it's gonna 'appear' the moment Espionage becomes available)

I noticed that too. I just assumed that different features were being showcased on different test builds.

I just made a startling discovery

The first religion screenshot completely lacks the "Espionage" button" (I doubt it's gonna 'appear' the moment Espionage becomes available)

Having it "appear" strikes me as something logical, actually.

Having it "appear" strikes me as something logical, actually.

I know.. but I think it's 'stupid' I don't mind it being "greyed out though"

I'm also wondering how the "embassies" are going to work, like, how do we build them? via Diplomacy? or Via the Espionage Button?

It is something that requires your target's compliance, so I assume it's a diplomatic agreement.

Top Bottom