Empire: Total War length

salty mud

Deity
Does anyone know for certain how long the campaign game will last? The game is set during the 18th century, and a rumour I heard stated that the game will last 200 turns: 1700-1800, with each turn lasting 6 months. To me, this is far too short. I know it can easily be modded, but it seems that the game will be shipping with a major flaw - the game is too damn short, kind of like MII:TW.

Thoughts?

I point out that since you're dealing with colonies as well as Europe, each round will likely be a lot longer than it would be in Medieval II or Rome.

Though 1800 isn't when the game stops, that's just when it's no longer possible to complete objectives or research technology.

I would think you can continue to research technology, just the tech tree doesn't extend past.

Having seen pics of the world map, 200 turns might be plenty. I really really hate the map, far too few regions. I love EUIII for it's regions, and TW for it's battles.

I actually prefer few regions. Siege battles were boring as hell and you needed to do like one per round if you were a fast player. I prefer the fact that field battles are actually what matters now, though I suppose since the Germanic places are like 30 different regions, that conquering them would just be a siegefest.

I actually prefer few regions. Siege battles were boring as hell and you needed to do like one per round if you were a fast player.
Considering that in many periods of warfare, what actually occasioned a set-piece field battle was an attempt to relieve a siege, this isn't actually that far off. Usually if I want to go fight a set-piece battle I'll just cheat the AI some money and besiege one of their cities, and wait for them to bring up a relief army.

Considering that in many periods of warfare, what actually occasioned a set-piece field battle was an attempt to relieve a siege, this isn't actually that far off. Usually if I want to go fight a set-piece battle I'll just cheat the AI some money and besiege one of their cities, and wait for them to bring up a relief army.

As historically accurate as it may be, they're still boring as hell. One every twenty rounds is acceptable, I'd say, but not one per.

I actually prefer few regions. Siege battles were boring as hell and you needed to do like one per round if you were a fast player. I prefer the fact that field battles are actually what matters now, though I suppose since the Germanic places are like 30 different regions, that conquering them would just be a siegefest.

I don't see why people seem to think that more regions will mean more sieges. As taking the capital may mean simply marching into it once the enemy forces have been driven away and any forts taken.

There will be many outlying cities and stuff in the region to take, but you have to take the regino capital to take the region. However the regions are absolutely HORRIBLE, France is a SINGLE region! Same with Spain and portugal and Norway. Britain and Sweden are 2. Where as the ottoman Empire has a dozenish.

Wait and see how capturing regions work before you make a judgment about them. I highly doubt that you can conquer France just by conquering their two capital cities.

Wait and see how capturing regions work before you make a judgment about them. I highly doubt that you can conquer France just by conquering their two capital cities.
If you can't conquer any French territory without taking those two cities, though, I will be irked.

If you can't conquer any French territory without taking those two cities, though, I will be irked.

Yeah, I highly doubt that. Generals will apparently have a circle of influence, and I think that if they're in enemy territory, you basically control everything in that sphere.

But I want to be able to retain that land after making peace, which does not seem the least bit likely.

Well that makes sense, given the historical period. France and Britain had powerful governments, so it's unlikely that somebody would take a chunk of England and then the war would be over. But that was the case with the Germanic regions.

Well that makes sense, given the historical period. France and Britain had powerful governments, so it's unlikely that somebody would take a chunk of England and then the war would be over. But that was the case with the Germanic regions.
What? What if I want to relieve France of, say, Franche-Comte, Picardy, or Alsace? Oughtn't I be able to do that instead of being forced to annex the entire country?

If I beat France in a war they won't be so strong afterwards and;

What? What if I want to relieve France of, say, Franche-Comte, Picardy, or Alsace? Oughtn't I be able to do that instead of being forced to annex the entire country?

Alscae is a separate region. France isn't going to give up the other two, though.

Alscae is a separate region. France isn't going to give up the other two, though.
...which is ******ed. They only got Franche-Comte a few decades prior. What's the legal status of Lothringen in this game? Simply ahistorically annexed to France or is it something else?

...which is ******ed. They only got Franche-Comte a few decades prior. What's the legal status of Lothringen in this game? Simply ahistorically annexed to France or is it something else?

They didn't lose Franche-Comte after that. And I think Lothringen is part of the Alsace region, I think.

They didn't lose Franche-Comte after that.
Irrelevant. The Romans didn't lose Apulia during the time period of RTW but as a province it's in the game anyway.
LightSpectra said:
And I think Lothringen is part of the Alsace region, I think.
Aaargh. Time to just stick to Sweden.

Top Bottom