Some fun with Cyrus (emp)

Pengu

Prince
So, I thought I'd post this game I had with Cyrus.
Not that it was super hard, but just a very eventful game.
If you want an eventful game yourself try it and you might find out why... :)

Spoiler :

The leaders in the game are ... interesting

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    68.2 KB · Views: 39
Just a note, following up on earlier discussions, if you are going to continue using BUG as standalone and continue to post games here, it would be very helpful to point that out. This would go for any standalone mod used when posting a game.

I don't think it has quite sunk in with you yet that it is kind of annoying to load up a game only to have it crash. (ha..every time you post a game here you do notice that you basically only get responses about how folks can't load your game..and then that basically becomes the discussion instead)

Sigh :-(
So annoying I can't start up the game normally with Bug mod....

Sigh :-(
So annoying I can't start up the game normally with Bug mod....

Well, if you are having issues, Pengu, then you need to have a dialogue with us. I gave you some advice in your last thread, but don't know what came of it. Some of the things you mention I don't quite understand..you are not being descriptive enough.

Anyway, my point above is that there is nothing wrong playing BUG mod "standalone", but if you do post games using a "standalone" mod you need to let folks know this before they download the save. And also note that some folks simply won't have BUG installed that way (although there is no issue having it installed both ways)

Folks here always like to join in games others folks post on here for fun, but they don't like downloading a save and having it crash

Well, as far as I can tell it probably has something to do with my Windows username as bug mod (and bat) can't handle any letters beyond the "normal "26".
Don't know how to fix it though. :(

Since people weren't eager to share your amusement with your game yet, could you outright tell us what the funny/interesting issue was?

Ok..

Well, the other leaders are Shaka, Monty, Rag, Toku, Celts and Fredrick.
And you are right between Shaka, Monty and Toku. Safe to say everyone of them will dow you :)

Well, as far as I can tell it probably has something to do with my Windows username as bug mod (and bat) can't handle any letters beyond the "normal "26".
Don't know how to fix it though. :(

Just go in the control panel and change your username to something normal like admin-of-god, ruler-of-the-universe or creator-of-worlds. Maybe something with slightly sless hybris, but the examples were just to illustrate some usernames that are without special signs.

Doesn't work since the folder in which my documents are, is still named after the original windows username.

Easiest way:

Create a 2nd windows user, install civ for him or anybody on the PC, make sure BUG-mod installs in the right directory when you re-install it.

Doesn't work since the folder in which my documents are, is still named after the original windows username.
Huh.

Doesn't Windows change, e.g., YourUserName

C:\Users\YourUserName

to

C:\Users\YourNewUserName

if you change your username? And likewise even if you changed the default location of your documents folder?

If you set a custom documents folder location you could manually update that even if Windows doesn't do that for you.

No, windows doesn't change the name of the folder if you change your windows username. It still has the name of the original username....

Feels like a real hassle creating 2nd users, reinstalling game etc etc.

No, windows doesn't change the name of the folder if you change your windows username. It still has the name of the original username....

Feels like a real hassle creating 2nd users, reinstalling game etc etc.
Yes...

But it's a simple matter to fix this.

A) rename C:\Users\YourNewUsername\Documents to C:|Users\YourNewUsername\foo

B) move C:\Users\OldUsername\Documents

to

C:\Users\YourNewUsername\

Or some similar variant thereof.

========

And this is extremely strange.

Several other folder names are located under your username -

Documents as has already been covered

And I believe - Music, Pictures, Downloads, and perhaps more....

At any rate, if you create a new user and then fix these issues it will work - a bit of a hassle to be sure. But doable.

OtOH - it's really weird that Civ4 is able to find a lot of things under your username with extended characters - e.g., Saved Games, but cannot load mods if they are underneath this same directory. Yeah, it's possible... but weird.

Anyhow, I'd recommend going with a new username and fixing the "My Documents", "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Video". issues - shouldn't be hard with renaming/moving.

Also check "downloads" and maybe some other things.

Once you move everything I'd delete the entire old username directory altogether.

If any errors crop up it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
=================

As an ex-Microsoft developer... I really find the behavior of not renaming the default username directory when you change your username very strange.... maybe there's some wired security issue I'm not aware of.

But absent this.... really?.... stranding all of your old documents/games/videos/pictures if you decide to change your username.... makes zero sense.
==================
Edit:

I guess I'd actually first try renaming

C:\Users\YourNewUsername to

C:\Users\foo

then recreating

C:\Users\YourNewUsername

and then moving

C:\Users\YourOldUsername\*

to

C:\Users\YourNewUsername

That should absolutely work and moreover will take care of any unexpected references to things under the user name directory.

You might also need to fix security descriptors so that your new username account will have access to all the moved stuff... again, pretty easy if you've any experience with this sort of thing....

But yeah, for an average user, having to jump through all these hoops if you simply want to change your username is.... strange.

Top Bottom