MigratioNES: The Grandest Tale Ever Told

Alright, I figured I'd do an additional update on the appearance of humans at this point.

Right now, humanity is 3 species. Two I have named: Homo natans and Homo reptans. These are the Cao and the Mnayakgu respectively, and both have spatially limited ranges. The rest of humanity is one species which I haven't explicitly named. A modern human scientist might describe the fossil remains they found as being similar to Homo heidelbergensis or Homo antecessor.

The following image shows the rough family tree of humanity.

Spoiler :

Although there are many overlaps and admixtures, you can see that humanity falls into four broad groups.

The first is the Apalo. These people are gracile, hardy and excellent at long-distance walking: all traits that have helped them to become the dominant people across the northern reaches of the continent, and most of the coastlines and major rivers. Most are dark skinned, though this is mostly a product of the low latitudes to which they are native: Apalos who have had time to adapt to higher latitudes grow relatively paler.

An Oebhwaho Fisherman

The second of these is Myukyap/Tiryap. These people generally have a medium skin tone and are relatively more hairy than their northern cousins. They are also generally shorter and more muscular than the Apalos. Red and black hair are common among these people.

Spoiler :

A Tyumru Hunter, mixed Fumo-Tiryap

A Tiryat Sealer

A Timika Gatherer

The third is the Amalyap. Amalyaps have mixed Apalo-Myukyap heritage. They are the most robustly-built humans, and are shorter still than the Tiryaps. Stout and heavy-featured, Many Amalyaps are quite hirsute, although the southern Amalyafv have lost much of their body hair. Homo reptans emerged from this group, developing more dramatically divergent features and becoming reproductively isolated over time.

The fourth is the Fumo. They are similar to the Apalos in many ways, but have a more average build and fewer of the adaptations that have prompted the Apalos to wander as they do.

A Vomma Forager, mixed Fumo-Apalo

Awesome Update and Stuffs Iggy! :D

Time of Chilling Orders

Vomma-Fumos-Kuku

Brief: Vomma->Vamalo move into Apalo lands. Different niche: large community almost caravaneers. Trading between Gero, Itaro, and Abhwal cultures. Develop Moon Festivals as symbol of change and movement. Use linguisitc flexibility to facilitate learning of languages. Fumo-Kuku, being least aggressive, become best trading partners. Larger, more advanced Fumo-Kuku communities form. Kuku in general develop own flourishes on Ku underwater entrance structures.

Other: Vomma have a societal and linguistic advantage over the Apalo. Generally a “Spirit Brothers” group of Vomma travel in a rough band several kilometers apart, almost amoeba like in scouting and consulting with each other during increasingly regular moon-festivals. In fruitful areas they stay or develop tribal memories to return during “harvest” or most productive times. In less fruitful areas they move through quickly. Trading lets them access more food sources and more cultures and more technologies, as well as make relationships and even alliances. A Vamalo “Spirit Brotherhood” at war would be able to entreat friends and warriors from many cultures.

The Fumos-Kuku receive a technological boost from this trading activity. Being the least warlike and most sociable of the Itaro cultures, they become favored Vamalo stopping areas. In particular, the Fumos begin preparing large, temporarily inhabited and somewhat spiritual areas to give Vamalo hospitalities as they the Vamalo begin developing lunar cycles and trade routes.. The Kuku may be able to move out of the Itaro cradle. But otherwise, the non-Ku Coeh and Goeh Kuku begin developing their own versions of the underwater-entrance structures. In particular, the Goeh, perhaps from their savage depredations, perhaps from the example of the Ikzil, are skilled in making booby trapped or fake or temporary structures to help defend themselves.

To be sure, the average Vamalo Spirit Brotherhood does not range from the Gero itself all the way to the Itaro. But a chain of them, along with hospitality and/or replacement of the Apalo and other sedentary spiritual sites, allow for more rapid spread of technology into the Itaro.

Potential New Names
Vamalo - Apalo Lands Trading Vomma

Myakap

Brief: Start migrating into the undeveloped mountains just inland of the Wabaho coasts. Other Myakap begin trading between inland Tiryapic tribes and the coastal Wabahoic tribes. Societally, begin using pack tactics picked up from southern Tiryats. Maintain societal/spiritual distinctiveness from Tiryats.

Potential New Names:
Myakyp - Trading, following southern herds amongst the Tiryapics
Myapo - Mountain, Colonizing the heights above the Webaho and perhaps even the Webwayo cultures

Makapo

Brief: Spiritual and hunting associations shift from land based herds to sea based herds, sea creatures like sharks and whales, or river-based runs of breeding fish. If Wabaho makes it across the strait, try to make it as well. (try to make it across the strait I’m saying).

Other: Start developing their cultural around the “Herds of the Sea” (schools) or even sharks and whales. Especially Whales. Others focus more on seasonal flows of fish in the rivers. If the Wabaho makes it across to that distant land there, I’d like if some Makapo make it as well and provide some distinctness to this branch of Wabaho colonizaiton. Compared to the other Wabaho, the Makapo are more spiritual. For technologies, making use of whale blubber/leather/baleen and using harpoon/scrapers might come into prominence. For societal, making use of whaling tactics to try to beach the whale may come in handy. “Humans have engaged in whaling since prehistoric times. The oldest known method of catching cetaceans is simply to drive them ashore by placing a number of small boats between the animal and the open sea and to frighten them with noise and activity, herding them towards shore in an attempt to beach them. “

Potential New Names:
Makpo -> Whalers
Makabo -> School Hunters/Shallows Divers
Kabopo -> Riverside Fishrun follwers

Note: No need to use all new names, but they are fun to make and you can always save themf or later. Also, holy crap this went longer than expected.

EDIT: (I just have to get this out of my chest. Everytime I see "Waba" I think...)

Spoiler :

The Amalyafv will continue doing what they've been doing: drive neighboring groups out of their forests and hunting grounds, north to the mountains and as far west as they can. Their chirping language is joined in with early musical wind instruments made of animal bone, and primitive forms of paintings (notably a huge focus on blown tracings of hands, feet, arms, etc.) on cave interiors. Through expansion they'll interact more freely with more advanced groups, hopefully gathering better knowledge of advanced stone core and hafted hunting tool technologies. In the event of major glaciation, flee with the food.

Orders
Gero
The influx of cultural and technological influence from across the continent causes several huge breakthroughs, culturally, in the ethnic melting pot of the Gero Valley. Ceremonial burial results from southern storage methods combining with the religious beliefs of Gero shamanist ritual, the first crude mud and stone shelters are built, so as to seek shelter from the lowering temperatures, and improved hunting as a result from the influx of many different types of tools and weapons results in larger population. Art is also greatly enhanced, as influences from across the continent inform spiritualism and shamanic art. Gero gatherers accidentally breed stronger, hardier grain plants through fecal pollination, allowing the nomadic populations to become even more sedentary.
Kippal
The culture of the Kogan mountains is somewhat integrated into the Kicca network, and Gero religious culture influxes inspiration for arts, as well as the first religious idols. Metal and stone are crudely carved, as found in the mineral-rich Kogan range, which experienced another major period of glacialization that exposed even more fertile and rich stone and land. The river below was also flooded with rich soil from the glaciers melting, resulting in high nutrition grains.
Akal
The Akger River is less advanced than the Gero Valley, and is quite drastically different culturally than the latter. Northern influences are far more relevant, with the raft people of the wild jungles informing the naval tradition of the Akal. Though not as nutritious, the diets of the Akal are more diverse, and while not as diverse, the populations are close to the vast intelligence, of the Gero.

All three of these groups react to invasions adaptably. Any conflicts or attacks are met not with violent invasions but integration of groups, which makes the general southeast very diverse ethnically and therefore very intelligent. Apa'al brains are big, and the southeastern region, led first and foremost by the Gero, are nearing huge mental/physiological breakthroughs. With the possible exception of the Agals, who are not as developed as their cousins, although who have made large strides towards animal domestication.

Orders
Gero
. With the possible exception of the Agals, who are not as developed as their cousins, although who have made large strides towards animal domestication.

FYI, we are still 10s of thousands of years from the dog, which itself was domesticated many tens of thousands of years before anything else.

Otherwise, I'm excited to see where these cultures advance. I can totally see the hero and waba rivers being the Nexus of sedentary, agrarian, society

FYI, we are still 10s of thousands of years from the dog, which itself was domesticated many tens of thousands of years before anything else

I actually did research this (which is rare), and I figured after another 500,000 year update we might be ready for that. But maybe two updates, I'm not sure.
I found from my (sparse) research, however, we're about one or two updates from Homo Sapiens, which is exciting and could mean only about three from agriculture. Hype

Oh, don't make too many guesses about how long it'll be until agriculture, especially since the length of each turn is going to be steadily decreasing. We are getting closer though!

The way I see the Akals is that they live very closely with the herds they hunt, but it's not yet in a way that resembles domestication.

The way I see the Akals is that they live very closely with the herds they hunt, but it's not yet in a way that resembles domestication.

This totally works, of course. Pretty much anything I try to do with that far eastern group is basically just a stepping stone towards plains roaming horse archer peoples.

Or should I say

A steppeing stone

Many of the weaker Wabahn, recognizing their inability to compete with their neighbors, depart into the trees with their families. This results in roving pods of 30-40 who travel for the express purpose of avoiding other sentient species. It is a peculiar event that drives these groups deeply inland and isolated from one another. They become experts in navigation and backpacking, and develop a deep distrust of other groups. They are the Wavro, "The Lost".

The Ikzil, in addition to their usual development of tools and tactics for warfare and defense, begin to seriously study the stars. They have recognized some patterns, though they struggle to express them, and give names to the most common heavenly bodies. Their cave paintings grow ever more elaborate.

Another group fixated on the night sky is the Ikyah, derived from the Ikyp and Timika. In their early religion, they have come to see the Sun as an evil destroyer. They roam the desert at night, sleeping during the day. Their neighbors consequently develop legends of "Traders of the Twilight", strange men who can be found only as the sun's last rays are fleeing. As such, their wares are held in higher favor than equivalent wares from others. The Ikyah prosper as much as one can reasonably expect in the harsh Iki Desert.

Tiryap 6: Boaring Time

The Diryaj have with time grown increasingly large, with hulking body mass and a muscular torso. They have adapted to hunting other human sub-species and are increasingly gravitating to an all meat diet, though there is likely enough intermingling to retain successful interbreeding. Sexual dimorphism also grows less pronounced, with Diryaj females becoming taller and more muscular, and muscle mass distributions resembling the males more. Bifurcation of roles will largely be based on size/age/place in the dominance hierarchy rather than on gender.

Increased Diryaj size also results in a larger brain case, though perhaps less efficient socially than other variants of the human species. Bone fetishism grows increasingly sophisticated, with long lines of bones strung together with sinews draped around the necks of buried chieftains during this period.

The Diryaj will make a final push to extinguish all of their smaller, less muscular Itar Sea neighbors. In particular they will target the smaller, more docile Ku subspecies for hunting, as well as the northern Coeh, making extremely primitive adze-carved log canoes. It is possible that the more advanced Diryaj will prefer to live among other groups of humans as apex predators rather than hunting them to extinction, but I'll leave that up to you.

A northern variant of the Diryaj, the Diafhe, will begin to push into the northern Apalo savannahs with the advent of the new technology and adaptations. They will mostly focus on out-competing the Apalo for game rather than engaging in direct combat. Some Diafhe may venture as far as the northern jungles.

The Tharyav (and associated cousins) will cross to the other side of the rift sea, settling the southern temperate zone more thoroughly as well as pressing out the last of the Mnalyaba to live in the lowlands, though they will not venture high into the rifts. The Tharyav will war amongst themselves, separated by the natural boundaries of the steep coastal valleys.

A very confused and lost sect of Ikyp will make their way into the far northern jungle mountain ranges. Since they have more advanced technology than the lowland jungle dwellers they will manage to establish themselves, but the lighter skinned desert wanderers will mostly stick to the mountains, foraging and hunting the beasts that the lowlanders dare not chase. This variant will come to be called Akp. The highest density of Akp populations will be in the great rift valleys south of the Oebhwaho. They will mostly wear the skulls of giant jungle snakes.

Having advanced collaborative tech far beyond that of their ancestors, the Tiryat will finally begin to expand into neighboring zones. If the world is freezing they will likely migrate north, if not they will begin to push back against the Amalyafv, crossing the great river. They will continue to battle wolves over the carcasses of fallen wooly rhinoceroses, gradually shifting into a commensalist type relationship with the wolves rather than a competitive one.

Special shout out to NK, for making me redraw all the coastlines I'd just finished, and thomas, for suggesting dropping an ice comet on the planet to raise sea levels to even higher than their original levels. You guys will be the death of me. and humanity at this rate

Update 6: 100 000 Years

One year, the snow is late melting off of the mountaintops over the valley of Yafzaz's clan. It is midsummer, the birds had come and passed, and the butterflies dance in the alpine meadows... and the snow still glints in the long, summer sunlight hours.

Fall comes just before it was gone.

After ten years, the mountaintops gleam a dirty blue-white. Each summer, the snowpack had failed to melt in its entirety. Each winter, it grows a little further. Each year, it deepens, crushing itself into ice with its own weight.

After five hundred years, Yafzaz's descendants had moved, displaced from their ancestral vale by the advancing wall of half a millennium's snowpack, pushing its way down the mountaintops and into the highland valleys. They have made their way into the foothills. Many conflicts are fought over this land, with other Amalyafvs, and against bloodthirsty Tharyavs from the south. Why have they come here?

The ice continues. The mountains, now distant, grow ever smaller as a sea of ice builds itself around them. In time, no one even knows that mountains stand there, as they drown below the ice sheet's implacable advance. Millions upon millions of tons of ice grind, scrape and chew away at the landscape beneath them, churning the immortal mountains themselves into dust.

Tens of thousands of years later, thousands of miles north of their ancient homelands, Yafzaz's descendants roam across a cold, dry tundra. They are bundled thickly in furs. One woman , heavy with child, pauses a moment at the top of a low ridge, and stares at the horizon ahead. A wall of cold, cracking, dirty white stares back.

An Ice Age is upon us.

Northern Continent (Wabana)

The different branches of the founder Waba culture have spread very widely. In the far northwest, the Ap people have arisen from Wobao stock, taking advantage of the furs of the local fauna and their own body fat to survive in cold, northern regions. Their skin is somewhat paler than that of their relatives, an adaptation to the limited light found at such high latitudes. The Wobaoh have settled on the opposite, interior slope of the mountain range. The Wab have expanded far inland from the great delta. Here, they have populated the narrow habitable strips formed by a system of humongous rivers, carving their way through the continental desert. In the central jungles, the Wabahn-derived Bana have expanded inland. Here, they have developed forms of body art, adorning themselves in the colours of the rainforest and even creating the first tattoos from quills and natural pigments. Alongside and to the north of the Bana are the Wavro. Very mobile overland, like their ancient progenitors the Apalo, the Wavro buck the sociable trends of their bretheren and isolate themselves from outside contact. And on the eastern extreme, the Wabban have migrated beyond the jungles, populating a pleasant, temperate region.

Across this whole, vast range, some 16 thousand kilometers as the Waban wanders, a degree of connectivity, however tenuous, remains, as trade from group to group ultimately allows for the diffusion of goods, genes and memes.

Southern Continent

In most of the world's equatorial and warmer temperate zones, the ice age had relatively minor impacts, beyond a slightly drier, cooler climate on average, and slightly lowered sea levels. In coastal regions, the sea level dropped by a few hundred meters. While many areas saw relatively little major impact from this, a few areas that had previously been vast, shallow continental shelves became exposed to the air, over the course of tens of thousands of years. The most notable areas impacted were the great bay of the Webwayo, which dried up and turned into a rich, lowland river estuary, and the central eastern coast, from the Wabaha Delta to the mouth of the Akger River. Here, the coastline extended out up to 1000km further than it had once stood, creating a vast, fertile lowland region.

The Querhua and Wabaha were best place to exploit this new land, and exploit they did. Of course, this exposed shelf did not appear at once. Rather, the sea retreated, almost imperceptibly slowly, observed only by the odd long-lived Wabaha elder, who may have recalled the coastal guardian stone as being closer to the shore when she was a girl. This region will be discussed later.

The Hwabhwa people arose from the union of Abhwals and Wabahas, and came to dominate a stretch of river downstream from the Abhwals, as well as the surrounding coats. The Wabahas, in the meantime, remained extremely widespread, with the bulk of their population in the great delta.

The Weway, meanwhile, share an odd mixture of Wabaho, Wabaha and Webwayo heritage.

A few parties of Webwayo were drawn far out to see by a storm and strong currents, managing to survive long enough, by rafting their simple watercraft together, to see land. The place they arrived on was an unfamiliar coast, one without other humans. And so, with trepidation, did these people become the first of their species to establish a population on a third continent.

Wabahos, on the eastern coast, often assimilated into the primarily-Oebhwaho groups they lived amongst, although the interactions that they had began certainly remained. One major group that emerged from this ethnogenesis refer to themselves as Obaho. Further to the south emerge the Wabakos, who live alongside the Makapo people on the southern coast.

Despite the cooperation and longstanding coexistence between these two people, they have remained culturally distinct from one another. The Wabako tend to be more mobile, but otherwise both groups live quite similarly, and coastal Makapos frequently take part in cooperative sea mammal hunts, attaching great significance to the 'herding of the seas'.

Further inland, things have been rather fraught. In the north, a Myakap group, the Myapo, has settled in the inland mountains. A northern offshoot of the desert-dwelling Ikyp, the Akp, have also settled the same range. The northernmost representatives of the Akp have penetrated into the edges of the jungle. Expansion into this strange land has been slow, and the Akp have developed a profound fear and reverence for the fearsome beasts that reside in the endless, steamy forests. Hail Snake-God! May Akp be swallowed last!

Another Ikyp offshoot, Ikyah, have migrated deeper into the desert. A nocturnal folk who curse the scouring sun, the Ikyah navigate by starlight, and by discovering a series of oases and more survivable routes across the desert, have come to occupy a band of lnad, opening up indirect contact between teh Apfal and Timika seas.

Meanwhile, in the south, the Myakaps have been confronted with a great number of northward-migrating Makyerfs, fleeing the advance of the ice sheets. The Makyerfs survive today in the southern boreal zone and tundra, a greatly contracted range compared to the vast expanse over which they once wandered.

The Mkyaph have migrated northwards and downriver, clashing with the Timika. As climate bands shifted, forests gradually began to grow where it had previously been too dry for them to thrive. The Timika have adapted to their new conditions as well as one might hope, although they have lost ground to the huge influx of southern migrants.

The Nekra generally stay out of everone's way, shifting gradually northwards with the steppes, and the migrating herds who live between the cold forest and the desert.

Some groups, such as the Temekyaps and Hemiceps, disappeared as coherent entities altogether during the great northward migration. Their corner of the world was particularly harsh during this time, in no small part due to a humongous northward migration by the Tiryats. The most widespread of the southwestern Tiryaps by far, the Tiryats were funnelled by the southern mountain ranges down a limited range of corridors. Already very familiar with how to survive in colder conditions, the Tiryats, advancing alongside packs of their canine followers, have become a dominant culture in the basin which was once the sole purview of the Timika.

The Apfals remain in their relatively isolated corner of the world, retreating to the rivers and sea shores as their lands desiccate. Their isolation is coming to something of an end, with Falmo now regularly interacting with them from the east, and Ikyah approaching from the south.

The Vomma have given rise to two more nomadic groups, the Falmo in the west, and the Vamalo in the east. While the Falmo are notable mostly for opening up greater contacts with the Apfals, the Vamalo expand widely across the plains of the Apalo. With greater social organization and a tendency to travel long distances in groups, the Vamalos help to increase the connections between the Itar Sea and the coasts. With the Diryaj being somewhat hostile inimical to the existence of other humans, most of these trading exchanges have gone towards the northern Fumos and their Coeh and Goeh neighbours.

The Itaro's long, bloody history continues. The cannibalistic Diryaj are a physical terror, tall, large and violent. While they have their own, surprisingly elabourate culture, they are simple monstrosities to most of the people around them. High nutritional requirements leads to them having smaller populations, and generally associating with smaller social groups. Well-armed, and possessed of increasingly elabourate technologies thanks to the indirect transfer of goods by the Vamalo and others, the Diryaj have put the first crude canoes into the inland sea, using them to bring the fight to isolated Coeh villages. The near-offshore islands, which had long been a place of refuge for the water people, were at last breached and ravaged by outsiders.

The Diryaj, however, have done very little to gain friends, which put a firm stopper in their gradual encirclement of the Itaro Sea. The Fumos-Kuku, often in collaboration with various Vamalos and Apalos who shared their hatred of the Diryaj, put up a solid front against the man-eaters. Vamalos, with their noted vocal abilities, often served well to organize such alliances, temporary and small-scale though they were, and the ancient Fumo ideas of cooperation also helped in the assembly of these organizations.

With the surviving Coeh and Goeh now existing within a Fumos-Kuku complex, the Ku (and a few Cao), living on the most isolated islands in the central western Itaro Sea, remain the only swimmers still living on their own, free of entanglements with other humans..

The northern conflict was only one theatre in the ongoing struggle for the Itaro Basin. Driven northwards by the ice age, a great wave of Tiryaps, Tiryats and Taryabs descended from the Ypta Mountains, in search of land. This great migration was merely the eastern end of a grand movement of Tiryats, across a front of over 6000 kilometers. The western Tiryats, driven by the freezing of the southern seas and the advancing ice, had pushed up into the Ypta Mountains, only to find the homelands of the Tiryaps also sinking into glaciation. Much blood was shed over land that was son lost to ice, but in the end, three great branches of the Tiryap kindred moved north, en masse, towards the ancient cradle of humanity.

The Taryabs, the least numerous of the three, were overwhelmed by the Diryaj, and were mostly eaten or enslaved, or scattered to insignificance. The Tiryaps and Tiryats, however, were able to make major advances. Recognizing that they would not be safe in these new lands, the newly-arrived southerners set out to exterminate the Diryaj. Meeting violence with more violence, the southern shores and forests of the Itaro remain a cannibalistic bloodbath.

The western Itaro has been downright peaceful in comparison. The Tyumru and Ikzil remain steady, while the Ziags are displaced somewhat by the migration of their distant Tiryap and Tiryat cousins. In spite of scuffles with the new arrivals, the Ziags do not incur the same level of hostility from them as is directed against the monstrous Diryaj.

Thus is the Itaro split between four major groups. The Tyumru, of Fumo and Tiryap heritage, control the west. Ziag, Tiryaps and Tiryats are scattered amongst each other in the south, Diryaj dominate the east, and Fumos, with their Kuku allies, retain a hold in the north.

The Diafhe, smaller cousins of the Diryaj, have moved into the Apalo plains, which now play host to an odd mixture of Apalos, Vamalos, and now Diafhe. The Diafhe have also managed to gain a toehold in the upper reaches of on of the tributaries of the mighty Gero River.

The final major migration from the south has been that of the Amalyafv. With hostile Tiryaps entrenched in the central Ypta Mountains, the Amalyafv were forced through two routes: one, the gap between the Ypta Mountans and Amalya Range, the other between the Amalyas and the long sea. The former group fell into a huge conflict with the local Diryaj, with stupendous loss of life, while the latter pushed into the Tharyavs and Daryava, and ultimately into the Ambaro of the Kicca Plains. The huge wave of southerners largely absorbed their northern Amalyap cousins, who were less accustomed to the harsh conditions. By the present date, the Amalyafvs have secured themselves a new range, with the Diryaj to the west, Amalyo and Ambaro to the north, and the Tharyavs and Daryava to the east. Some Amalyafvs have secured themselves land in the upper Gero Basin, where their numbers have begun to rapidly grow. Here, in close contact with the advanced humans downstream, the Amalyafvs have begun to catch up technologically and culturally, producing simple art and music.

In the far east, a group of Tharyavs who have crossed the rifts have become known as the Saryaz, who have begun to expand across the small temperate zone. On the southern side of the rift sea, an invading group of Tharyavs has merged with part of the local Nyamaba population, creating the Zarayaba. Peoples of mixed Amalyap-Tiryap heritage now dominate the coastlines of this region, with the Mnalyaba and Nyamaba being relegated to the interiors. Meanwhile, the southern Matagya have become distinct from the Mnalyaba, after thousands of generations of separation.

The Agals regard the Saryaz newcomers with some distrust and concern, being fellow people of the land. Kippals, on the other side of the rift, are more settled and in closer contact with the cultural and technological hub of the Gero River, and begin to produce art of their own.

The Akals of the Agker River are heavily influenced by the Geros and Wabaha, but still maintain a fairly distinct culture of their own.

Finally, let us at last discuss the hotbed of humanity that is the Gero River Basin. The river has fully doubled in length, and the new flatlands that have appeared around the lower river are rich and fertile. The population in this region has exploded. Querhuas and Geros remain the predominant ethnic groups on the lower river, while Amalyos dominate the upper reaches. However, many other people come from outside to this region, making it one of the most diverse areas in the world, alongside the Itaro Sea. Wabahas come down the coast, from the northern jungles, Vamalos form a corridor to the Itaro, while Ambaro bring goods from the rifts. Akals, Ambaros, Amalyafvs, Diafhe, Apalos, Vamalos, Avenecs and Hwabhwa can all be found overlapping in this part of the world.

While conflict has always been present in the region, it has never quite reached the debilitating levels of the Itaro. It has, however, maintained dynamism, and ensured fast adoption of new technologies. Even if the basin is not the origin of a technology, it is inevitably swift to adopt newly-arrived techniques. Materially, the cultures of the basin are now in the Upper Paleolithic. Simple shelters of mud and sticks have been constructed, ceremonial burials are conducted, art and ritual grows ever more complex, and populations in the richest areas are able to live rather sedentary lives.

Biologically, the people of the Gero Basin are growing more distinctive. Their foreheads are less slanted and more vertical, aiding in both non-verbal communication and in holding a higher-volume brain. At this point, their mental capabilities are comparable to those of a modern human from Earth.

It is a mixed time for the world. In some places, humanity expands freely, in others, people are desperately short of space and fodder, and fight to the death for a chance to secure a chance of survival. While large swaths of humanity's former range lie under kilometer-thick ice sheets, other areas thrive as they never have before, Edens ceded by the retreat of the Great Outer Ocean. The faintest hints of things to come are present: the crude constructions of the Geros, the alliances of various Fumos, Kuku and Vamalos, and the wolf-partnership of the Tiryats.

The world doesn't even know what's coming.

Spoiler :

Last edited:
Apa'al Orders
Gero
The first archery appears around this time (if anthropologically viable) interestingly not as a hunting method but as a hunted method; nomadic cannibals in the south, or at least stories about them, scare improved weapons technology out of the Gero.
Gero shamans also become more relevant in this period, with a growing religious center of social culture shaping the increasingly sedentary populations; organized, hereditary social hierarchy appears based around complex conceptual spiritualism.
If possible, agriculture too. Probably not yet though.
Akal
More Waba influence on Akal culture improves shipbuilding techniques, and the river is tamed more by the growing regional population. Overall, the Akal develop a stronger tradition around trade, influenced by the northward cultural expansion of the Kicca plains nomads, and Akal traders spread cultural and technological advancements from the general southeastern region of the original continent-- perhaps, due to its uniqueness, considered its own continent-- throughout said continent's own reach, as well as to the new land in the north and the coastal river populations of the jungles.
Kippal
Sculptures and monuments from this time indicate a cultural and metallurgic renaissance. So too do the tools, jewelry, and trinkets found in the burial sites of some chiefs. Akal traders have integrated the religious and philosophical advancements of the Gero Valley peoples with mountain technology from the east. The Kogan mountains are some of the more important advancement's source, but overall the integrations of the entire subcontinent's technology and culture feeds and feeds from everywhere.
Following the freezing of much of the Kogans, the river becomes central to Kippal populations. If agriculture happens in the Gero, it's likely to spread quickly to the Eastern people, due to the trade diffusion in the Kicca.
Agal
The freezing forced Agal populations from their plains; they either leave the area or die. Some go to the northern continent aboard Wabaho boats; this population spreads among the southern plains here, as the Gala. However the native Agal die off. Their descendants in the new continent continue to chase horses.

Agal cried as he ran from the village.

There were many reasons for the tears. He was weak, he was small, he was not good with his hands, his tears came too easily. He was a burden, and his cousins wasted no opportunity to remind him.

“You should go out into the cold and die, you’d be more use to us that way.” His elder cousin, Baku, had told him today. Baku had lived twelve moons, and was practically a hunter already. Agal had been five moons when his parents had been killed by a large cat, and his mother’s sister took him in.

Agal almost missed it, choked with tears as he was. But, there, at the edge of his hearing, again, he heard a pitiful mewling. Forcing back a sob, Agal followed the sound. It led him from the forest to the side of the river, where a dark cave loomed.

Agal hesitated, but only for a moment. The mewling sound was insistent, desperate.

Agal plunged into the depths of the cave. The mewling stopped. His eyes adjusted to the darkness as something moved towards him. Agal scrambled backwards, tripping and falling on his back. The shuffling in the darkness came closer, and agal closed his eyes, ready to be eaten as his parents had.

Instead, he felt something wet and rough... lick his fingers?

Agal opened his eyes cautiously. Near his outstretched right hand were three wolf cubs.They looked to be barely a few weeks old, eyes barely opened. Agal laughed, and put his fingers closer. The wolf cubs nestled against his warmth. Agal stuffed the three cubs into his shirt, giggling as he felt them squirm. Agal walked deeper into the cave. He wondered where the wolf mother was.

He found her in the depths of the cave, cold and still. In her side was lodged the head of a spear. One of Agalat’s, Agal’s other uncle, spearheads, he thought. The wolves liked to feed from the trash heap, though often times they were driven away, as they could be a danger to the children. Agal knelt next to the dead wolf, and muttered the words his mother’s sister had spoken when they had put his parent’s bodies on the river to travel to the land of the dead. He closed her glassy eyes.

There was a rustling in the back of the cave. Agal flinched, but saw it was only a pair of cubs. They growled at him, teeth bared. Agal extended his hand towards them, palm forward. One of the cubs lunged at him, needle sharp teeth missing his hand by the breadth of a finger. Agal moved backwards, muttering. “I only wanted to help, but if you want to starve here, stay.”

The camp was in an uproar.

Agal’s mother’s sister grabbed him by his ear. “Where have you been! You had me worried sick! After all we’ve done for you, this is how you repay me!” She shrieked.

She recoiled as his shirt squirmed, one of the wolf pups sticking it’s head out.

“What’s that!”

“It’s a wolf! Kill it!” Baku shrieked.

“No! They’re friendly!” Agal screamed.

“It’s a wolf!” Baku raised his hand, the glint of flint obvious in the sun.

“Enough!” They all stopped and turned, even Baku. Rarely was it that Wagan, chief of the tribe, raised his voice. “Agal, boy. What do you think you are doing?”

“Thier mother was dead, they were going to starve.”

“Hmm. They are wolves. They do not belong with us.”

“See? Father agrees with me!” Baku raised the stone again, but Wagan slapped the stone out of hand.

“I do not. Wolves are the enemy of humans, stealing from us, and yet those are not biting Agal. perhaps... If you take care of them, Boy, prevent them from harming anyone, you may keep them. But if they kill anyone, it will be as if you had, and you will suffer the conq”

“But Father!” Baku whined.

“Enough! If the boy wants to give up some of his food to feed the wolves, let it be on his empty stomach.” Agal saw a twinkle in the older man’s eye.

That night, Agal’s bowl was more full than it usually was.

Years passed, and the wolves grew older, as did Agal. They hunted, bringing in food for Agal as he had once cared for them. Once in awhile, the wolves would go out into the wild, but always, even if it was weeks or even one horribly lonely time, months, they would return. And when the wolves died, they had left behind a few litter of cubs.

And when Agal died, many years later, he died a renowned hunter and trader, having travelled to the edges of the world with his wolves, surrounded by his wives and children.

Orders:

The Woboah find themselves in a much closer relationship with the wolves that coexist with them. Many wolves find the middens of human settlements easy food, if they can get over the fear of the strange smells of humanity. In that way, the wolves in the area slowly diverge, as some populations live close to humans and grow comfortable, even companionable, while the rest remain distant and aloof, avoiding humanity. This relationship with wolves spreads far and wide in the northern continent, and it is not uncommon for a Waban trading party or a Ap hunting group to have a pack of wolves, as the clear advantages, if only in security, but often times with the hunt and with trade, of canine companions become clear.

The Wab and the Bana people continue to expand inland, following ever smaller and smaller bodies of water, living off small streams and ponds. They never forget their relationship to the water, even when living close to bodies too small to navigate. Instead, they develop a complex woodworking tradition, both with development of dugout canoes, and with their religious practices: The Wab have taken to carving tall wooden stakes with scale patterns and a fishhead at the top, and planting them near the bodies of water they inhabit. Whether these are purely ritual, or exist to demarcate territory, they are ubiquitous amongst the Wab people and those they neighbor. The Bana, however, carve faces into living trees. Along the shoreline, though, the ancestral tradition of the Wabaha to place a large, roughly carved stone in the shallows as a guardian against the beasts of the ocean, has refined. Many Wabahn settlement sites have numerous large, soft stone effigies carved into rough crouching fish-headed man shapes placed to be visible at low tide only.

The Waban people also develop dugout canoes of their own, allowing them to range further out to sea and further along the coast. Thier traditional long distance rafting is supplemented by the ability to lash their canoes to their rafts to give them greater control and distance. In this way, Waban people travel far, spreading and combining the disparate artistic and tool complexes of the continent far and wide.

The Wabaha and Hwabhwa continue to exist as their acnestors did, travelling and trading and socializing. This will, without a doubt, spur the inclusion of AMH- Querhua genetics heavily, as well as spread those traits far and wide throughout the world.

Meanwhile, far across the world, the population of wB]Webwayo[/B] that managed to cross into a new continent are now known the Ebe, and develop a fear of the water sea that once sundered them from their people. They avoid going out on it as much as possible, and, when they DO go out, they stay as close to shore, lest the sea rise up and sweep them away from their families and loved ones. Their religion has a dichotomy between evil, a STORM god, and good, a SUN god, both of who battle for the souls of humans.

Note on domestication: I’d argue that the Tiryat should probably have already domesticated the wolf, with how close they live together, and similarly, the northern continent should as well.

Here are some sources on how actually quick domestication happens (9 generations for a fox as tame as a labrador.) Sure, in our context, it’s accidental, and not intentional, like in this study, BUT, that’s probably only a couple hundred extra generations.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/03/taming-wild-animals/ratliff-text

http://archaeology.about.com/od/domestications/qt/dogs.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130302-dog-domestic-evolution-science-wolf-wolves-human/

(The last article is particularly interesting.)

I WISH I could find my (published) paper I wrote on this subject back in university...

A series of droughts sets in around the Gero Valley, not least due to shifting climatic patterns -- though it probably also has something to do with a series of oceanic temperature events (ala El Niño). Regardless, serious population pressure is put on the Querhua and Gero peoples, pushing many to begin a massive, new migration out of the homeland and into the unending space occupied by other peoples. Armed with their new weapons (see inthesomeday's post) which have spread to both groups, the outmigration is characterized by a high degree of interbreeding and mingling of ideas... but the bottom line is a huge migration and a new constellation of peoples across the southern end of the continent (and possibly further) that is the cradle of humanity.

Some suggested group names, in case they become relevant:
Dierhua
Quierhua
Sierhua
Sierda
Quera
Gevera
Gierho
Gerdho

Hey inthesomeday, just giving some feedback for your orders!

Apa'al Orders
Gero
If possible, agriculture too. Probably not yet though.
Yup, definitely a bit early for that. A few plant species are being exploited regularly by people, but they're not yet at the point where agriculture would be very effective.

Akal
More Waba influence on Akal culture improves shipbuilding techniques, and the river is tamed more by the growing regional population.
Wabahas don't have anything much fancier than rafts, actually, so there's not a huge amount of catching up to do.

Kippal
Sculptures and monuments from this time indicate a cultural and metallurgic renaissance.
Just a quibble, but renaissance implies the restoration of something that died or was lost, and we've never really had complex culture or metallurgy. ;) Right now, we're still in the Upper Paleolithic, so while cultural blooming does make sense, describing something as a metallurgical renaissance does not make a ton of sense. Right now, Kippal metalworking mostly involves flattening and bending placer nuggets of gold (as gold is such a soft and pliable metal).

Agal
The freezing forced Agal populations from their plains; they either leave the area or die. Some go to the northern continent aboard Wabaho boats; this population spreads among the southern plains here, as the Gala. However the native Agal die off. Their descendants in the new continent continue to chase horses.
Right now, there is no contact with the northern continent, and a migration of that size or scale isn't really plausible.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure that everyone was clear about where we are technologically. We've got early instruments in some areas (drums and flutes), we've got representative art, we have hafted tools and weapons, darts and throwing spears (bows are a plausible development at this time which you did mention!), and the domestication of dogs has begun in several places (though they're still very wolf-like).

Right then, logically speaking the Agal would just probably die off or meld into the nearby cultures. They weren't ready for a big change like that. And yes, I actually did grapple a bit with including the word Renaissance, I couldn't think of a better one so I just put it in. Perhaps "blossoming" might be better.

Top Bottom