Byzantine lobby for civ5

Funny, my impression was the exact opposite. Even in this thread, a rallying point for Byzantine separatists, opinions seem to be divided, among those who've shared them.
I am talking about historians, not people participating in this thread. Find me one major historian who doesn't acknowledge that the Byzantines were a separate entity. Sure they came from the Romans, but they became their own thing... you know, like the HRE became separate parts. This isn't a hard thing to grasp, but some of you seem to want to argue against accepted historical concepts... and I am not doing it.

I agree with Depravo. We can go back and forth over the credentials of the BYzantine empire, but this thread was started as a showcase for a modder's ideas and creations. I can almost assure you that if Byzantium is in ciV, it will be in an x-pack if included at all. Why don't we just return to what thread was originally about, Ok?

I think we already came to the conclusion on what the thread was initially about... yes, there will be a desire for a mod of Byzantines if they aren't included. There is really nothing further to talk about in that respect. It's a dead horse.

This thread is still alive because of the tangential conversations...

I mean, instead of trying to tell people what to post... just post on topic if you have something further to say about it, if you have something thought provoking, people will follow... but acting like the arbiter of what we can write about on the internet is not really going to be successful.

It's not that I disagree with you, kochman. The Byzantines, whether you agree or disagree with their differences from Greece and/or Rome, were a great civ on par with Arabia, Rome, Greece, Persia, England, France, China, and Russia. They built great buildings (If you don't believe me, watch this and the other 4 parts following it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymXqXabqls), fought with great military precision and unique tactics (read or look up Edward N. Luttwak's The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire), created a very powerful cultural entity, and greatly impacted today's world. If Siam, The Aztecs, and the Songhai deserve to be on ciV, the Byzantines are more than qualified. But has anyone noticed that the author of this thread hasn't commented in a while? He started this looking for support and suggestions for his mod. Excuse me, but I don't think that this is what we've progressed to.

To Varwnos: Would the Hippodrome be a UB? that could be a very cool model if done in all it's glory. Maybe Triumphal Arches or Columns to shake things up in the cities? These would make some awesome models.

The thing is the Aztecs and Songhai (I still doubt Siam is going to be in. maybe in an xp) represent underrepresented areas. Byzantium on the other hand, is represented well by a combination of Rome, Greece, and Turkey.

The thing is the Aztecs and Songhai (I still doubt Siam is going to be in. maybe in an xp) represent underrepresented areas. Byzantium on the other hand, is represented well by a combination of Rome, Greece, and Turkey.

Another thing is culture and how unique a civilization is when compared to other civs. The Byzantines have a great cultural identity, but they're not exactly a cultural black sheep, while the Aztecs and Songhai are completely different from every other civ in game. Same reason why there will never be Poland or Hungry, they just aren't very unique. There will probley not be Spain in Vanilla because they're not very unique either and can be culturally tied to France and England, and Spain was a huge world power.

I am talking about historians, not people participating in this thread. Find me one major historian who doesn't acknowledge that the Byzantines were a separate entity. Sure they came from the Romans, but they became their own thing... you know, like the HRE became separate parts. This isn't a hard thing to grasp, but some of you seem to want to argue against accepted historical concepts... and I am not doing it.

Well undeniably at the time of the fall of Constantinople to the Turks, the Byzantines were vastly different from the Roman Empire. But 1000 years had elapsed. If the Western Empire didn't fall, surely it wouldn't have looked the same in 476 as it would have in 1476.

I know you argue that the start of the Byzantine Empire is 330 when Constantine founded Constantinople. I strongly disagree with this date as there was no fundamental differences at that time with Rome. They still spoke Latin, worshiped Jupiter and had the same culture and customs of Rome.

While that was the start of the transition from Roman to Byzantine, and you can clearly trace the roots of the future Byzantine Empire to that date, there wasn't a clean division at that time. Prior to that Rome wasn't even the capital of the Empire, Ravenna was.

As the center of power shifted to the East, Christianity became the state religion, Greek replaced Latin and all the customs of the old Republic/Empire died off, then there is a clear shift. However that date is tricky and up for debate, even among historians.

Either way the Byzantines were pretty awesome, they were the most educated people of the Middle Ages, had female doctors, high literacy, a form of central heating etc. Nothing like the 1000 years of decline portrayed by Gibbon.

Looks good. If there are culture-based unit skins, are you going to make some? Or UUs or UB's? Not to put extra pressure on you, but I was just wondering. Awesome, job, still

Just to say, it would be very cool if one of the early Byzantine ships could have a flame-throwing animation!
In fact tbh, I think it would be cool if the Byzantine UU was some kind of Greek-fire throwing ship/dromon. As a UU it would be completely different from anything else, if I my limited knowledge of Byzantine history is correct (it may well not be), it's partly thanks to these ships that the Byzantines resisted against the Turks as long as they did, and finally, let's be honest, it'd be damn cool!

I think that the Byzantine UU should be a ground based Flame-thrower!!!! Since this things existed in the Byzantine Army it would make a really great UU and that would look and be just totally awesome.

There is a serious error in the Hagia Sofia wonder: The islamic - Turkish minarets. They did'nt exist during Buzantium and the Hagia Sofia was (or is) a Christian cathedral. The minarets have been added about 400 years later after the Turks have occupied Constantinople (Instampul). So, if we refer in Byzantine empire as an intipentent civ, how can the Hagia Sofia wonder have islamic minarets? Please correct this rediculous mistake!

Looks good. If there are culture-based unit skins, are you going to make some? Or UUs or UB's? Not to put extra pressure on you, but I was just wondering. Awesome, job, still

I don't think i will get into the unit business, since i never made a unit or anything for it.
As for unique buildings, yes i plan to make them, infact all of these are unique buildings :)

Btw i just got 3dsmax and plan to rebuild this set of models there. Bryce unfortunately is very unreliable when it comes to object exporting, so it had a 90% chance of being unable to mod civ5. But 3dsmax most probably will be compatible with civ5, so no problem there :)

Yes, I believe 3dsmax is a more standard product for video game modelling than Bryce.

Good luck, your work is very impressive.

Glad to see some love for the romaioi. I'll probably download the mod to add them in if you make it (at least until if/when they're brought in in an expansion pack). Nice work on the buildings, by the way!

Top Bottom