Most Anticipated New Civilization

Which civilization do you anticipate the most in the new expansion?

• Netherlands

Votes: 91 24.8%
  • Mayans

Votes: 60 16.3%
  • Byzantines

Votes: 72 19.6%
  • Carthaginians

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Celts

Votes: 75 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely the Celts here, although the Dutch are a close second.

Dutch for me, I am Dutch and am also supercurious about navalcombat and terraforming (do it right Fireaxis please)

Also good to see that it's pretty much a tie between the five new civs. Seems Fireaxis made the right choice there.

Okay, leaderboard time!

1) Netherlands - 34
2) Byzantines - 33
3) Celts - 32
4) Carthaginians - 30
5) Mayans - 25

Fairly even distribution there. All the civs are either popular or unpopular according to your votes so far...

Here is one more vote for the Netherlands. It is exciting to see another new entity in the game that survived into modern times. This add will make colonial scenarios even more interesting. Though the old ones are certainly fun to play, what exactly did the Celts contribute to Western Civilization to give them this status over other powerful modern states, such as Israel, Australia, Turkey, and Brazil?

Here is one more vote for the Netherlands. It is exciting to see another new entity in the game that survived into modern times. This add will make colonial scenarios even more interesting. Though the old ones are certainly fun to play, what exactly did the Celts contribute to Western Civilization to give them this status over other powerful modern states, such as Israel, Australia, Turkey, and Brazil?

Israel aren't really significant enough to warrant being put into the game, IMO. They spent most of history getting conquered and disepersed by many many other empires. They would work better as a religious city state I feel (Jerusalem).

Alot of modern Turks identify heavily with the Ottoman Empire (for instance, the Turkish government doesn't like it when you mention the Armenian genocide, which was comitted by the Ottoman Empire). Keep in mind that Turkey was the Ottoman Empire up until 1923 (less than a century ago). Firaxis have avoided putting in overlapping civilisations, such as the Songhai/Mali, Germany/Holy Roman Empire... so I don't think they'll put in Turkey. That being said, they did put in the Byzantines when they already have Greece so you never know...

"Modern", "colonial" nations like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and Brazil feel weird in a civ game. It feels better to have an Ancient Era civ go into the modern age, than to have a modern civ be put in ancient times. In the case of Brazil, it makes no sense to have Brazil before Portugal, considering the Portuguese Empire is the foundation of modern Brazil and Portugal was the first European nation to rule a large empire across the sea. Culturally, Australia and Canada etc don't add a lot to the game - I'd rather see more African (Zulu, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe), American (Sioux) and Asian (Majapahit/Srivijaya/Indonesia) civs. That being said, I have no problem with seeing them put in after the other civs I want.

For reference, here are the civs I'd like to see added to the game:

6. Portugal
7. Majapahit / Srivijaya / Indonesia
8. Zulu
9. Ethiopia
10. Sioux

My life would be complete ;)

Israel aren't really significant enough to warrant being put into the game, IMO. They spent most of history getting conquered and disepersed by many many other empires. They would work better as a religious city state I feel (Jerusalem).

I agree that Israel may not be one of the most impressive civilizations as compared to the US, Germany, or China. However, they certainly accomplished more than Polynesia or Senegal, just to name a few. Seems to me that if Korea and the Vikings earn a spot, so should Israel. Who else has defeated four Arab states all at once (1948 War)? They even have a possible Wonder to their name, the 1st or 2nd Temple. What wonder did the Celts build?

I picked Celts, but it was a tough decision between them, Mayans, and Carthage. And I didn't pick it because of Boudica, you never get to see her if you're playing as her!

I cant wait to play as pascal :rotfl:
Also i really hope the time victory for the maja is 2012.

I agree that Israel may not be one of the most impressive civilizations as compared to the US, Germany, or China. However, they certainly accomplished more than Polynesia or Senegal, just to name a few. Seems to me that if Korea and the Vikings earn a spot, so should Israel. Who else has defeated four Arab states all at once (1948 War)? They even have a possible Wonder to their name, the 1st or 2nd Temple. What wonder did the Celts build?

Modern Israel is "just an extension of USA", as seen from "donations" given to Israel from USA taxpayers. Can Israel stands on its own? Just ask USA Taxpayers to force their government to stop "donating" to Israel and we shall see. So Israel as religious City State is cool, but foll blown Civ? Arab, Turkey, Persia, Egypt are more representative of Middle Eastern Civilizations by far.

Sorry if this ruffled some feather. Feel free to erase this. Just stating some informed opinions.

Modern Israel is "just an extension of USA", as seen from "donations" given to Israel from USA taxpayers. Can Israel stands on its own? Just ask USA Taxpayers to force their government to stop "donating" to Israel and we shall see. So Israel as religious City State is cool, but foll blown Civ? Arab, Turkey, Persia, Egypt are more representative of Middle Eastern Civilizations by far. Sorry if this ruffled some feather. Feel free to erase this. Just stating some informed opinions.

Israel does in fact stand on its own. The foreign aid received from the US is an extension of a Carter-era peace policy between Egypt and Israel. The US gave out about $45 billion in foreign aid in 2009. Israel picked up about 4% of that sum. More importantly, the $2 billion Israel received in foreign aid in 2009 only comprised about 2% of their total $93 billion budget. A financially sound Israel could certainly survive without this small sum. For the record, I support the US government cutting most of our foreign aid to help balance the budget, but my serious digression here is probably too far from more fun discussions about CIV5.

U.S. Government Foreign Grants And Credits By Country
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1297.pdf

Mayans!!!

Unfortunately, I was only able to vote for 1 civ, so I chose the Celts just barely over the Mayans. The Celts because I'm half Irish and enjoy learing about my heritage. The Mayans because I've visited Dzibilchaltun and Tulum and have enjoyed their history/culture.

As i am dutch,My choice seemed pretty clear.....until i remembered that the leaderhead speaks the language,and all my civ 4 nightmares came back.I don't know for the other civs but that was absolutely HORRIBLE.

As i am dutch,My choice seemed pretty clear.....until i remembered that the leaderhead speaks the language,and all my civ 4 nightmares came back.I don't know for the other civs but that was absolutely HORRIBLE.

I'm confused? Civ 5 is the first and only game in which the native tongue is actually spoken, in Civ 4, 3, 2 1 it was just text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom