Maya

Man, I'm surprised their ability starts at Theology. Maybe originally it started at Calendar, but testplayers found it too powerful?

Anyway. The Mayan's UA is pretty powerful, but let's think about it: Anyone who plays Mayans will be beelining for Theology to get the most out of it, and that considerably restricts what other stuff they can do.
I'll certainly be giving them a try come this expansion's release. Hopefully by then we'll know if it's too powerful or not.

Also, does anyone have any idea what Pacal is saying in his diplomacy screen? I was a little surprised by how... short his speech was. I'm estimating the chances of someone knowing the answer to this question is pretty low, but I wanted to ask anyway :)

Well, it would seem to me that the Mayans are going to get to Theology very quickly.

Consider that, right now, they will have both Pyramids and Libraries to get their Tech going quickly.

But yes, the Mayans will beeline Theology every game.

I've been doing more thinking on the Mayan's UA. Given that they have to beeline to Theology to get as much GP out of it as they can, it makes them predictable. If AI Pacal knows what he's doing, he'll do exactly that - which might make him vulnerable to early attacks. Thankfully, the Mayan's UU (The Atlatlist) will probably come in play around that time period, so Pacal won't be completely defenseless, hopefully.

Has it been confirmed what the Mayan Pyramid's unique benefit is? We know it replaces shrine, but I've heard rumours it gives extra science.

Overall, while I can understand people calling this civ grossly overpowered, their vulnerabilities in the early stages of the game should mean they're not invincible at all. Plus, if the great people have been balanced (No free techs from Great Scientists!), overall it should be a really interesting civ to play, and I can't wait to get my hands on them.

With extra techs in Classical age, Theology is a bit further away, but still I think 6 GP is possible, but the 2012 one is not a big issue.

Another question is whether the baktun will be coupled to the official mayan calendar, or if it will start when you discover theology. (that is, every 394 years after the year you discover theology, or just go with the official alternate calendary).

Man, I'm surprised their ability starts at Theology. Maybe originally it started at Calendar, but testplayers found it too powerful?

Anyway. The Mayan's UA is pretty powerful, but let's think about it: Anyone who plays Mayans will be beelining for Theology to get the most out of it, and that considerably restricts what other stuff they can do.
I'll certainly be giving them a try come this expansion's release. Hopefully by then we'll know if it's too powerful or not.

Also, does anyone have any idea what Pacal is saying in his diplomacy screen? I was a little surprised by how... short his speech was. I'm estimating the chances of someone knowing the answer to this question is pretty low, but I wanted to ask anyway :)

My grandparents will be in town for my graduation in early June. They speak Kaqchikel still, so I will have a chance to ask them if they can understand what Pacal is saying. His accent is very different from my Grandparent's Kaqchikel and odds are he will not be speaking Kaqchikel (but still another Maya language that perhaps my grandparents will be able to understand due to hopefully similar words)

The Mayans sound great! I was going to play as the Swedish, but the Long Count ability seems to good to pass up.

Although what language does Pacal speak in the diplo screen?

elprofesor: That would be a very interesting development, but the one example we have occurs on a turn that fits the current Western -> b'ak'tun (sp?) conversion. That is, if it goes by every 394 years since researching Theology, the person in the game had to have researched Theology on a year near or at a current b'ak'tun turnover.

elprofesor: That would be a very interesting development, but the one example we have occurs on a turn that fits the current Western -> b'ak'tun (sp?) conversion. That is, if it goes by every 394 years since researching Theology, the person in the game had to have researched Theology on a year near or at a current b'ak'tun turnover.

Yeah, I saw that. It's still possible though, although as far as we know there's only a ~10% chance that my hypothesis ends up being true.

The Mayans sound great! I was going to play as the Swedish, but the Long Count ability seems to good to pass up.

Although what language does Pacal speak in the diplo screen?

I would guess Chol. I can't confirm though. I will ask my grandparents when they are in town...

If it is too hard to understand much for them odds are its Chol or Yucatec. If they can understand it mostly, its probably a Quiche, Kaqchikel, or other similar variant.

Do you have a source for this?
The ability seems great. Even overpowered.

Yes where are the stats for the Pyramid if you can provide a link it would be great. It means I guess a shrine provides +2 faith.

And I almost always get Theology now very early. Hagia Sophia is always great and worth getting the tech early.

Yes where are the stats for the Pyramid if you can provide a link it would be great. It means I guess a shrine provides +2 faith.

And I almost always get Theology now very early. Hagia Sophia is always great and worth getting the tech early.

Theology is now quite a bit further in the tech tree. It has an additional prerequisite in Drama & Poetry which is late Classical, and Philosophy has also been moved to late Classical, so the total number of beakers needed to research Theology and all its prerequisites has almost doubled.

Yeah, the AI never builds the HS and it is one of the best wonders there is.

Theology is now quite a bit further in the tech tree. It has an additional prerequisite in Drama & Poetry which is late Classical, and Philosophy has also been moved to late Classical, so the total number of beakers needed to research Theology and all its prerequisites has almost doubled.

Very good point.

Very good point.

Yes indeed, but if pyramids give science it can still be extremely beneficial for the early game still to get Theology probably somewhere around where you would get it now (very early)

Oh, while I won't beeline entirely, it absolutely will be a huge priority. The only techs I could see elsewhere are the tech for Atlatls, Bronze Working, and possibly Iron Working. The top half of the tech tree is better for the Maya anyway.

I would guess Chol. I can't confirm though. I will ask my grandparents when they are in town...

If it is too hard to understand much for them odds are its Chol or Yucatec. If they can understand it mostly, its probably a Quiche, Kaqchikel, or other similar variant.

That would be awesome.

TBH he does sound very odd, specially that last almost gutural sound, I've never heard any Mayan with that sound, but Im no expert, perhaps there is, and Im simply not aware.

About the Mayan UA, I think its a very interesting religous focus, Bizantines can expand their religion further, Celts get early boost by terrain and fight, and Mayans get it by building and researching (as you want to hit theology quickly), as mentioned before, they will have to be careful in the military side.

They've got one of the most versatile UA's, yes the Mayan player will want to get Theology as fast as possible, but if you want to play a religous game you may want to do that anyway, and a Maya player doesnt neglect science by doing so.

Im wondering if the GP given by the Long count bonus will be able to trigger golden ages (after all, near perpetual golden ages is Persia's UA), as in the video that shows the Mayans, Palenque is surrounded by 3 great improvements, I imagine that if you couldn't trigger a golden age you would use their other habilities, that would help balance a bit.

In any case Mayans will be a juicy target for anyone , they are likely to have many wonders and great improvements around.

Top Bottom