SINGLE Most Frustrating Thing in Civ5?

I'm more annoyed that a city that has just lost a citizen due to starvation has an empty food container, which means that if there is still a food shortfall, the city can lose yet ANOTHER citizen.

Yeah, but that was in Civ IV as well. And it makes sense; it's punishment for letting your cities grow larger than you can reasonably support.

No it makes little sense. The only way to prevent it is by having science or food on. But if you are trying to max production and the city grows (without you somehow noticing the prior turn) you automatically lose the citizen since it places it on a production tile (emphasis production) and starves it and kills in in the same turn. This can easily happen early in the game with just two or three citizens in a city. And if you forget to look at the population coutndown you are screwed. VERY annoying. Wish they had a warning you are about to grow one citizen in city X... allowing you to change the citizendry working tiles to allow for the growth without instant loss.

How bad the AI is at playing the game. Honorable mention: the broken state of multiplayer

For me, the worst thing about Civ5 is the astonishingly long lag times. There is no reason for the game to take an eternity between turns. Even scrolling across the screen is a slow, arduous process.

Another annoying thing in Civ V is how a unit can gain so many promotions that a player won't be able to see all of them.

Granted, it's not a common circumstance, but gosh darn it, if I have a level 20 unit, I want to see all of its promotions, ha. :D

Another annoying thing in Civ V is how a unit can gain so many promotions that a player won't be able to see all of them.

Granted, it's not a common circumstance, but gosh darn it, if I have a level 20 unit, I want to see all of its promotions, ha. :D

This. And I also want to be able to see what promotions an enemy unit has. Seeing that it has five upward arrows doesn't tell me much when I don't know what each arrow means. :/

I'm not able to rename units anymore. Recently I've been trying to focus on leveling up units for specific purposes. Before G&K, wasn't there an edit button on the info unit screen in the bottom corner?

Is there still a way to rename units?

One thing that frustrates me is the city-lists for each civ. When I conquer an enemy city, it would be nice if I could rename the city to the next city on my civ list. I hate having a Incan empire with cities called Persepolis or Gao.

Is something actually preventing you from doing so? I don't believe the game limits what you can call a city.

I mean do it automatically. I don't know enough history to be able to rename my civs with accurate names unless I printed out the city list ahead of time. Since it's already in game, it would be cool if there was a "Rename city to My civ" option that automatically slotted in the next city name in my own civ list.

It would be more thematic too.

I'm not able to rename units anymore. Recently I've been trying to focus on leveling up units for specific purposes. Before G&K, wasn't there an edit button on the info unit screen in the bottom corner?

Is there still a way to rename units?

The rename function is still there if the unit gets promoted. If you have a barracks in your production city you can name them upon production.

This isn't the most annoying thing about Civ V, but it is annoying nonetheless.

I really dislike how my units don't automatically get the ability to embark once I research Optics. They only get that ability once they enter my cultural borders.

That's great for my workers and garrison units that rarely leave my cultural borders, but it sucks for my units that are more than 30 turns away from my cultural borders.

Has this been corrected in Gods and Kings yet?

-.- specific Great people, I don't know why, but I just love the random element in Civ games, and the fact we can choose which Great People we get is somewhat.. meh.. not to mention I never actually focus on that anyways.

This isn't the most annoying thing about Civ V, but it is annoying nonetheless.

I really dislike how my units don't automatically get the ability to embark once I research Optics. They only get that ability once they enter my cultural borders.

That's great for my workers and garrison units that rarely leave my cultural borders, but it sucks for my units that are more than 30 turns away from my cultural borders.

Has this been corrected in Gods and Kings yet?

Technically, they gain the ability to embark when entering friendly territory. I was playing a game last week where my scout got the ability after entering an allied city state.

The rename function is still there if the unit gets promoted. If you have a barracks in your production city you can name them upon production.

So I can only rename my unit on the turns on which it receives a promotion?

Not being able to save advanced options.

Me, too!

That and no "Regenerate Map"... I so desperately want this back! I usually try about two dozen maps before I settle on one I like. I want the right starting location and right neighbors. So it's very frustrating to enter the same conditions such as the Civs, the map size, number of city-states, victory conditions, difficulty, and so on and so on.

Me, too!

That and no "Regenerate Map"... I so desperately want this back! I usually try about two dozen maps before I settle on one I like. I want the right starting location and right neighbors. So it's very frustrating to enter the same conditions such as the Civs, the map size, number of city-states, victory conditions, difficulty, and so on and so on.

I can't help you with the "Regenerate Map" button, but you should try this mod. It remembers all your game options, except your starting civilization, when you start a new single player game through the mods menu.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458569

Six pages of frustration? I've been playing Civilization since the original came out way back when. What impressed me most is how each iteration was better than the last. Now that I have finally upgraded my computer, I am wondering if Civ5 is worth playing. My other option is to go back to Civ4 and enjoy it on a new, faster machine. Any advice?

Top Bottom