[MOD] Fall from Heaven

woodelf said:
Kael - What are your ideas for new civs? Can the rest of start dabbling or do you have ones in mind?

Fall from Heaven gets its name from the scenerios that are planned for it. Their are 5 characters in that storyline (the same people that left and right of the title on the main menu) that are planned as civ leaders. I intend to always keep the nomal civ's as well (I couldn't imagine a civ game without my buddy Ghandi). It was pushed to phase 2 because without the scenerios the new civ's are mostly just a cosmetic change.

edit (07/20/2008): These plans switched a bit over the development of FfH2. The people on each side of the title (who I believe were Os-Gabella, Capria, Hemah and Valledia) were intended to be major players in a scenario called Tempus Mor. Hemah eventually became a hero, the rest became civ leaders as mentioned orginally.

I did think the Civ4 vanilla leaders would stay in the game until FfH2 (what I called phase 2 above), because I didn't see a point in adding new civs and leaders just as cosmetic changes since I couldn't make any of the real changes I wanted. But Haarbal's new leaders and civs were to cool so I added them in.

could someone put this on another site i am having trouble getting the file to download from filefront. thank you.

Joliette said:
I played your mod yesterday for a while. Very good work indeed!

I encountered some bugs and want to let you know them:
- With a prophet (great person) you may build a religion's special building in the city where the religion was founded. I your mod you may build that buildings in every city you like without having founded the religion yet. I accidently clicked on the special building for the elves but wanted to build it for Octopus. But for the AI who founded actually the elves religion, the building wasn't build yet and the AI built it after in order. Only then the icon for elves building vanished, before not. The funny thing: you may build each special building in all cities until it is built in the 'correct' city. You will get all the extra money from EVERY multiple special building :p
I think the constraints checking for the special building are just screwed. I assume there are no changes needed as this should work as in the original game.

- The 'purge the unfaithful' wonder gives you minus 2 happiness, nothing else. Thats what the description is saying; I haven't built it yet.

- another wonder, which gives your troops mithril armor (forgot the name of that wonder) does nothing after being built. No extra traits for troops built in this city.

Thats all I can remember for now. Hope this helps. Your mod is just GREAT!

I will check into the prophets, I noticed they werent gray in other cities but I assumed it was a graphic problem. Thanks for the heads up, I will get it fixed.

Purge the Unfaithful's only lasting impact is a permanent -2 happiness int he city that built it. Its game effect is that it is an inquisition in every city you own (driving out all relgions but your state religion). I need to get the building's documented, I should have that done by the next release.

Yeah, Mamimo reported that buildings weren't giving the automatic promotions correctly. That has already been fixed and will be included in version 0.6.

sickre said:
It looks like some of those Civics are 'inspired' from the Europe Europa mod.

They are actually stolen from ArbitraryGuy's AGCivic's mod. I haven't looked at Europe Europa, but since AG authored both of them it makes sense that he would use them. Arbitraryguy did amazing work on his Civ's and I used a lot of his ideas when I made my civ's. I have this in the readme for the mod:

A huge thanks to the artists I shamelessly cut tiny pieces of art from to make all of the icons and graphics used in this mod. Justin Sweet, Brom, Keith Parkinson, etc etc are all amazing and contributed (unknowingly) not only the amazing art, but inspiration for a fantasy world through their work.

I would also like to thank my fellow modders at CivFanatics, especially Mylon (code help), The Big Apple (code help), ArbitraryGuy (from whom I stole a lot of the Civic ideas and art), Requies (code help), Master Lexx (code help), and Supa (who made the Lioness and Tiger skins). Most of these folks don’t even know they helped me, but it was only by studying your work that I was able to figure out how to do the stuff myself.

The longest wait is DEFINITELY from tier one to tier two. I got large numbers of pimped out hunters because I figured, hey, thats probably what he wants... then I waited... waited some more.

It took a long time to get to the things that were fun (and by then I had used world builder to plop a barbarian city and a demon summoner and conjurer for me so that I would have _something_ to do! ;p).

The units are extremely powerful, and I like it! Its very cool how you can send in a massive horde of demons and elements all at the same time.

Must say I was disappointed about not being able to fling fireballs yet.

Not much to say about the other units... but hey, the big draw is the magic system and that is what is super cool!

*Have you checked out the code they use for placing forests randomly in game? Maybe that would give you an idea for how to rework summoning away from magical improvements.

You could always try sending one of the Firaxis people an email. They are sometimes willing to help modders :p

This is the kind of mod that I have been waiting for since Civ4 came out.

Thanks!

Kael said:
They are actually stolen from ArbitraryGuy's AGCivic's mod. I haven't looked at Europe Europa, but since AG authored both of them it makes sense that he would use them. Arbitraryguy did amazing work on his Civ's and I used a lot of his ideas when I made my civ's.

:lol: I thought something looked familiar in those screenies! Nice work, Kael... Keep it up!

Ok, this mod just made Civ4 x398349833 more fun for me. Much more engaging and strategic than vanilla civ.

Some bugs I found (I think):

- Built the 'The Dragons Horde' and 'Alter of Lunnoure' in the same city; did not recieve the promotions (Blessed/Mithril) when I created units.

- Egypt in my game some how built the holy city wonder 'Song of Autumn' in 3 seperate cities.

Also, it seemed the Tier 1 horsemen were a wee bit overpowered. I was lucky enough to have horses within my capital's border to start the game. Which basically let me deter the 2 other civs on my island from expanding at all. I could easily hold them off with just two horsemen, moving in and pillaging two tiles, then move out of range with the third move etc. Yes, I was dependant on the lucky resource; it was just too easy. I suggest maybe making the Tier 1 Horsemen have 2 move, instead of 3.

Anyways, I love this mod to death, so much potential. Looking forward to testing out some custom maps/scenarios.

Seeing Barbarian Hill Giants approaching my cities that are protected by warriors was scary! Luckily they simply menaced me and never attacked. Yikes.

nevermind, it must be a problem with some of their sites. i was clicking on one of the top servers,no luck. i then clicked on a server on the bottom of their list it put me on waiting,and then finally i could start my download.

Aeon221 said:
Must say I was disappointed about not being able to fling fireballs yet.

Teaser screenshot of 0.60 for Aeon221. A mage throwing a fireball at an Air Elemental (i gotta figure out a way to darken up that elemental). That is the new art for the demon in the background.

woodelf said:
Seeing Barbarian Hill Giants approaching my cities that are protected by warriors was scary! Luckily they simply menaced me and never attacked. Yikes.

Thats actually part of the logic. Hill Giants and Skeletons will rarely (if ever) enter your cultural boundries. I wanted to make exploring dangerous (since the increased benifit of extra xp + more powerful promotions makes it more rewarding) without causing players to get wiped by a maurading hill giant.

Waaaaaah! Me want fireball now! Fireball > Sanskrit Exam!

Is the air elemental that dark smudge on the screen? YEEP! That'll be a pain in game when units that are physically invisible invade!

Out of curosity, how does the fireball work?

PS: That demon is... well... money!

Hunters are a bit unbalanced (3.2, +100% vs. wandering barbarians)... or they would be if there were other units around to take up the role. As is, they were the only unit capable of protecting me from hill giants, skeletons, and animals (oh my!).

Oh, and the hawk animation cracked me up :p

I swear I saw a propellor! Nice reskin on it though; its a crafty adaption of a strange unit system.

If _only_ this moddability had been in Civ3, when the units were sooo much easier to make!

Joliette said:
I played your mod yesterday for a while. Very good work indeed!

I encountered some bugs and want to let you know them:
- With a prophet (great person) you may build a religion's special building in the city where the religion was founded. I your mod you may build that buildings in every city you like without having founded the religion yet. I accidently clicked on the special building for the elves but wanted to build it for Octopus. But for the AI who founded actually the elves religion, the building wasn't build yet and the AI built it after in order. Only then the icon for elves building vanished, before not. The funny thing: you may build each special building in all cities until it is built in the 'correct' city. You will get all the extra money from EVERY multiple special building :p
I think the constraints checking for the special building are just screwed. I assume there are no changes needed as this should work as in the original game.

Fixed. The fix will be included with 0.6.

IamSid said:
Will this mod work on a slower comp?

The mod has no requirement above that of Civ4. If Civ4 works, I don't see why the mod won't. As the mod progresses you might notice a longer pause between turns on large maps. I have checks running between turns that perform actions that aren't in the real game.

Aeon221 said:
Waaaaaah! Me want fireball now! Fireball > Sanskrit Exam!

Is the air elemental that dark smudge on the screen? YEEP! That'll be a pain in game when units that are physically invisible invade!

Out of curosity, how does the fireball work?

PS: That demon is... well... money!

Hunters are a bit unbalanced (3.2, +100% vs. wandering barbarians)... or they would be if there were other units around to take up the role. As is, they were the only unit capable of protecting me from hill giants, skeletons, and animals (oh my!).

Oh, and the hawk animation cracked me up :p

I swear I saw a propellor! Nice reskin on it though; its a crafty adaption of a strange unit system.

If _only_ this moddability had been in Civ3, when the units were sooo much easier to make!

The hunter gets a bonus vs animals but not barbarians (unless im missing something). Hunters are quick to get with the right Civ, which is a pretty nice advantage for civs that start with tracking and the. Especially since they don't have any resource requirements.

You can actually do the same thing in rushing for axemen with civs that start with the wheel and mining if you have copper close by. And as someone else mentioned if you start near horses you can rush to horsemen with the wheel and domesticate animals.

All of the units are more powerful that in the typical game. So at first glance they seem to be overpowered compared to what you may be useful. The question is, are they overpowered compared to each other? It is an inheriently better strategy to rush for hunters rather than axeman, than it is horsemen, than it is archers, than it is adepts, than it is disciples? (Keeping in mind that the adept path provides research bonus's and the disciple path founds religions).

I don't know the answer. Every path is viable. Some options are more efficient given the starting resources and particular civilizations. I would be curious to know if anyone thinks any particular path isn't up to snuff.

I promise you, the demon looks even better live. The fire animation is awesome. It was when I was building the fireball that I realized how neat it would look to wreath the demon in the same flames.

The mechanics of fireball and root are still being worked out. Right now I have a fireball and a root spell being dropped on the appropriate caster at the begining of each players turn and removed at the end of the turn (so they cant be used defensivly). This isn't working as consistently, some rounds they get them, some rounds they dont. If I can't get that to work like I want I will move them to be summoned just like elementals, excpet they get removed at the end of the round instead of at the start of that players next turn.

From a play perspective the player clicks his fireball icon (a button just like fortify, goto, etc) which creates a fireball in the sam tile, then he sends that fireball to attack someone. Currently Fireball is a strength 8 attacker with some decent collateral damage. It can be used against cities or individual units. The root spell is a strength 1 attacker that applies the 'rooted' promotion to anyone it hits, stealing their movement for the next turn.

Once I get the fireball all worked out I will use the same trick on catapalts and cannons so you can use them at range to shoot other units.

Kael

PS yeah, I need to work on the Air Elemental model. I just made him this morning so he is still in process.

Top Bottom