Kerbal Space Program

Sorry for not visiting in the past few days, I was rather short on time.

Thanks for the tips'n'tricks - I finally managed to get a Duna encounter and land my spacecraft on the planet. :goodjob:

I doubt I have the fuel to get back home, but hey, at least I was there! :D

I'm too sick with hype for 0.18 to even play anymore.

Sorry for not visiting in the past few days, I was rather short on time.

Thanks for the tips'n'tricks - I finally managed to get a Duna encounter and land my spacecraft on the planet. :goodjob:

I doubt I have the fuel to get back home, but hey, at least I was there! :D

Now that is an interesting rocket! Very orgininal. :)

If you have a solid launcher and practice your injection manuevers, that will get you to Duna and back easy. :) Really good design! :goodjob:

I can't wait for .18 either. I really hope they have some powerful new engines. With what we have (and a lack of docking ability) there are a lot of places that we can't do return missions from.

I wonder if they will ever add in satellite mapping functionality into the game without the need for mods? I'd really love to launch voyager/pioneer/mariner probes.

On the plus side, I may have time to play in a couple weeks, so I can just start again with the new patch. Nice.

Now that is an interesting rocket! Very orgininal. :)

If you have a solid launcher and practice your injection manuevers, that will get you to Duna and back easy. :) Really good design! :goodjob:
Thanks.

Well, originally I had 4 additional engines at the wingtips, but I had to burn half their fuel to make orbital corrections, and then disengage them because my lander had become virtually uncontrollable (I guess my center of mass ended up too high).

I'll upload the whole design. Took me a few days to create that beast: 443 parts, but an actually rather decent lifting system with "only" 20 solid boosters and 5 mainsail engines. Landing pod tends to spin quite a bit, though, so I guess there is still a LOT of room for improvements (currently testing a triangular symmetry design). Almost unlaunchable without lagsbane, though...

edit: Download

With the right use of SRBs, one can reach Jool with a 20t or lighter rocket.

With the right use of SRBs, one can reach Jool with a 20t or lighter rocket.
Pics?
Thanks.

Well, originally I had 4 additional engines at the wingtips, but I had to burn half their fuel to make orbital corrections, and then disengage them because my lander had become virtually uncontrollable (I guess my center of mass ended up too high).

I'll upload the whole design. Took me a few days to create that beast: 443 parts, but an actually rather decent lifting system with "only" 20 solid boosters and 5 mainsail engines. Landing pod tends to spin quite a bit, though, so I guess there is still a LOT of room for improvements (currently testing a triangular symmetry design). Almost unlaunchable without lagsbane, though...

edit: Download
Oh wow I didn't realize it was that big. Why so many engines on the lander?
Mission to fly on Laythe!
Spoiler :

Failed to land though.

That's really cool. I have yet to build a spaceplane. :(
What kind of launcher do you use?

Don't have the original launcher anymore, but I just built one that can reach 45b altitude (Jool is 60-63)

That's very cool. How did you do it? I have problems whenever I try and build an SRB based launcher.

However, the Test Bed that I put a picture of in this thread earlier can get you an Jool encounter before you ever have to fire the lander engines once. It's extremely capable. I don't even use it for Mun missions because it's overkill.

Well, last night I had a dream about playing .18, and I had built my giant Interplanetary MotthaShip and was testing it out on a flight to Minmus. It was awesome, and now I know that I'm obsessed.

I highly suspect the half-meter SRBs are OP.

The first stage is horribly inefficient and not even aesthetic, but it does what I designed it to do. Gets me up through the ugly dense atmo and up to about 9km.

From there I've been trying to maximize in-atmo speed because why not? So far I'm up to 4500m/s at 26km, but I didn't get a pic of that moment :(

Because it was supposed to be able to lift off again. :p
4 NERVAs are enough to get you off Duna pretty easily, fyi.
I highly suspect the half-meter SRBs are OP.

The first stage is horribly inefficient and not even aesthetic, but it does what I designed it to do. Gets me up through the ugly dense atmo and up to about 9km.

From there I've been trying to maximize in-atmo speed because why not? So far I'm up to 4500m/s at 26km, but I didn't get a pic of that moment :(

Man, mods bro, mods.

Is something like that possible with stock?

Wicked sweet rocket though! :goodjob:

4 NERVAs are enough to get you off Duna pretty easily, fyi.
Yeah, I guess, but I wanted some sort of "universal" rocket and do some testflights on Eve. (Actually I only ended up at Duna because I missed the Eve encounter. :D)

Btw, can't wait for 0.18 :scan:

Yeah, I guess, but I wanted some sort of "universal" rocket and do some testflights on Eve. (Actually I only ended up at Duna because I missed the Eve encounter. :D)

Btw, can't wait for 0.18 :scan:

Sadly, those engines won't be enough to get you off Eve...I wrote a big long post where I analyzed the issue. Although I didn't test NERVA's, in my opinion their TWR is too low to get you off Eve no matter how many you use and all the other options don't work.

*Perhaps* a spaceplane could do it, but even then I suspect mods would be required.

The more I look at Cardgame's rocket, the more I want to download some mods. It looks soooo freaking cool.

So, here's what they're announcing at KerbalKon (most of this stuff won't be in .18)

Kerbin with clouds:
Spoiler :

RADIOACTIVE PLANET!!!! (Actually, it's Vall with a resource overlay for very far into the future)
Spoiler :

Gas giant with rings. If you ask me, it doesn't look as good as Jool even if it is more detailed.
Spoiler :

It has at least one moon, too.
Spoiler :

I though Jool's green-i-tude always looked like a sickly shade, so I don't mind the new gas giant. I guess we are getting a Saturn-equivalent in our system now, can't wait to see it's broad rings.

Cloud cover will make Kerbin (and potentially Eve, if they implement it there) difficult to land on from space without the ability to conduct orbital maneuvers. Otherwise, you might end up in the water.

Top Bottom