Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Code of Laws

Votes: 65 48.9%
  • Iron Working

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Compass

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
I tried a stone wonder/Great Prophet strategy recently with the intent to win the Music Race to get a Great Artist to bulb Philosophy. Turned out that when the Oracle was completed I could choose Philosophy as the free tech. I was strangely dissappointed and elated at the same time.

I tried a stone wonder/Great Prophet strategy recently with the intent to win the Music Race to get a Great Artist to bulb Philosophy. Turned out that when the Oracle was completed I could choose Philosophy as the free tech. I was strangely dissappointed and elated at the same time.

I haven't tried that. If you research Drama before Oracle is built, is that all that is necessary to choose Phil as your free tech?:confused:

With PHI leaders I often try to get Mids through Oracle -> Metal Casting -> pre-chopped Forge in 2nd city.
If you can manage to get the forge built at most 6 turns after Oracle is built, put an engineer to work and gonna get a GE after 17 turns, before capital generates a GP.
Tech order:
Mining -> Agriculture/AH -> Wheel -> BW -> Mysticism -> Polytheism (slower than Meditation but on the Literature path) -> Priesthood -> Pottery (while building Oracle) -> ... Masonry before GE pops.

Oracle Currency is a very strong move that's possible with some very good starts and certain strategies. (I. e. start with Myst -> Research Med -> PH -> Writing -> Math)

Oracle Feudalism also seems to be, I'll try for a Vassal by 2000 BC next game :)

Newest ones I've heard of today are Oracle Machinery and Oracle Construction.

I was just rereading this thread and was thinking what Seraiel just posted: Oracle Currency. I haven't done before and I don't know why I haven't but I think Currency is great to get. Boosts your gold a lot, plus you get markets which means more gold which means better science. Oracle Currency and your science gets a good boost and you research other techs faster, no?

I have never tried it, but the more I think about it, I like it. Getting to Currency has always been a sticking point for me. At Immortal, they beat me to it every time. I bet it would be great for trading if you can get it ahead of them (or just hold it for the advantage). Which would you do?

Curency does sound fun to try out some time. Today was Theology for me. It is along the religion path which is already started for the Oracle anyway, founds a religion, and carries a higher beaker cost than CoL. It doesn't open up Courthouses or the Caste System or get you closer to Civil Service and therefore Liberalism though. I suppose I could go and build a Chapel, that would be interesting for a change.

Curency does sound fun to try out some time. Today was Theology for me. It is along the religion path which is already started for the Oracle anyway, founds a religion, and carries a higher beaker cost than CoL. It doesn't open up Courthouses or the Caste System or get you closer to Civil Service and therefore Liberalism though. I suppose I could go and build a Chapel, that would be interesting for a change.

If you are going for Cultural Victory, you absolutely should build CS when you get to Theology. I do it every time.:)

Oracle -> Currency is a very strong move, though it's seriously very very hard to pull of at Deity without Incans. For Disccussion I'll also cross-link this thread, as it referrs to the same topic, it's from the Strategy and Tactics Sections.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=452370

There's usually nn to trade Currency early. You can trade all the low-techs for Money and get nearly everything you want for it or fasten up your own research tremendously. Normally I wait, untill the other Civs have aquired enough Techs that are worthy enough to be traded for, so then I can make a Currency vs 4-5 Techs trade, like Currency vs. Monarchy with Civ 1, Curreny vs Calendar with Civ 2, Currency vs Construction with Civ 3, a.s.o.

There's usually nn to trade Currency early. You can trade all the low-techs for Money and get nearly everything you want for it or fasten up your own research tremendously. Normally I wait, untill the other Civs have aquired enough Techs that are worthy enough to be traded for, so then I can make a Currency vs 4-5 Techs trade, like Currency vs. Monarchy with Civ 1, Curreny vs Calendar with Civ 2, Currency vs Construction with Civ 3, a.s.o.

I see. So then what about Alphabet? Do you try to trade Currency for it with the first civ that gets it, or do you research Alphabet yourself so that you will be in position when the timing is optimal to trade Currency for Construction/Calendar/Monarchy, etc.? Since the AI prioritizes Currency in its research, isn't it critical to get Alphabet one way or the other before they get to Currency on their own? Sorry about all these questions, but I want to be sure to do this correctly.:)

You need Alphabet or Math for Currency, so you'll either have Alphabet already, or you'll have Math (imho better) which can be traded for Alpha by putting some beakers into it. That's the hard part of Oracling Currency, that you need a big Tech like Math / Alpha before building it, that's why I'd only advise it for lower difficuty lvls or very good starts (i. e. 2-3 Gems / Gold) .

You need Alphabet or Math for Currency, so you'll either have Alphabet already, or you'll have Math (imho better) which can be traded for Alpha by putting some beakers into it. That's the hard part of Oracling Currency, that you need a big Tech like Math / Alpha before building it, that's why I'd only advise it for lower difficuty lvls or very good starts (i. e. 2-3 Gems / Gold) .

That's a good point about needing a good start to research Math. Maybe I need to expand settlements a little slower at the start and build Libraries sooner than usual. Normally, I try to get to 4 cities before starting to build Library, but that might not work with this strategy.:)

Kick ass! So that's how the deity guys do it!

I've been doing it in reverse all this time!!!

I've been thinking, about trying to oracle Mysticism, to you know, get a super-duper head-start on the oracle... and then I can use the priest from the oracle to bulb fishing. What do you think of that?

I think you should Oracle Hunting. It is the most useful tech in the game. That's how I win at Deity.

I would like someone to see how deep a tech they could grab from The Oracle on settler .

there are possible deep beelines, but oftentimes it's better to get Oracle a bit sooner on some "lesser value" tech to snowball sooner.

I think there was Settler OCC space ship minor gauntlet not so far ago and I think the common way of doing was Oracle Education and Lib Biology for OU and NP...

would have to dig it up a bit to refresh memories though... It was pretty fun challenge though and I think it had very good participation.
I tried like 4-5 games to get good date.

Top Bottom