Ancient Aztec, Maya or other native american?

Eh, I read somewhere that Paris and London had 20-30,000 or so people. And of course East Asia had super large cities. Same with Constantinople, Rome, the Middle East and Egypt. All the homes to many people at some point.

Paris and London (and Kiev) didn't hit the 30,000 mark until around the 12th or 13th century (and those are the generous estimates). In Russia the next largest population center, Novgorod was around 15,000 at its greatest estimates. The next largest center in England, York didn't hit 20,000 until around the 16th century. You have to remember that while Paris, London, etc. were large, they were far out of the norm for the rest of the world. 5000 would be considered a large population center even into the early modern period.

Yeah, I remember playing a "Dark Ages" mod of Civ3 that covered the period after Charlemagne's empire broke up. I was playing as Germany, and I was surprised at how depopulated my lands were. Playing the scenario with only tiny cities with 1-6 population really gave me a sense of how sparsely populated the era was. Especially when juxtaposed next to the much larger Latin cities! Ouch!

Yeah, I remember playing a "Dark Ages" mod of Civ3 that covered the period after Charlemagne's empire broke up. I was playing as Germany, and I was surprised at how depopulated my lands were. Playing the scenario with only tiny cities with 1-6 population really gave me a sense of how sparsely populated the era was. Especially when juxtaposed next to the much larger Latin cities! Ouch!

What do you mean by "Latin" "cities"?

What do you mean by "Latin" "cities"?
Presumably he is refering to the Byzantines and possibly Italy, although Justinian had pretty much devestated it in his wars with the Ostrogoths.

Top Bottom