Project Eternity

Wow it's rated 93 on metacritic !

The level cap is the one and only reason why i have not played Baldur's Gate 1. I loved BG2 but even the thought of having a level-cap in BG1 killed it for me.
I might never play this.

BG2 was capped around level 20 and the last levels were really redundant. Also it was mostly interesting for caster class, fighters were just getting better stats.

PoE is 12 levels yes but every class gets abilities as it levels up. And many of these are on a per encounter basis.

I'm level 3 and I have so much more stuff to do with only 3 characters than I would in BG1... and to be honest close to BG2.

I've played 4hours today. The game is pure excellence. And I'll say it after removing my nostalgia goggles... it's better than baldur's gate in the gameplay department. More techniques, more stuff to think about etc etc. Battles are enjoyable as soon as you get out of the tutorial area and get 2 companions.

If you like the BG games you would be missing out. Skipping it for the level limit is a big mistake.

BG2 was capped around level 20 and the last levels were really redundant. Also it was mostly interesting for caster class, fighters were just getting better stats.
That level cap did not apply if you had the add-on. :) And plain fighter classes are boring in every game - i never play them.

Kind of irrelevant since this game is without add on right now. It's smaller in size than BG2+Tob. Maybe it will also be raised in expansions.

Yes but you still often had a warrior in your team. Or a rogue or a paladin or a ranger. PoE offers a lot more than D&D 2nd edition for these classes.

Are the rules very strict d&d? I really didn't like neverwinter knights cus of the rule set. I'm not a d&d player, never played it in my life. I like d&d inspired rules like how warcraft and da origins combat uses die rolls, but pretty much every rpg-ish kind of game uses similar concepts so I'm not sure I'd even call it d&d inspired at this point. But I hated in neverwinter not really understanding how to increase my dmg or not understand the rest system or multi classing or strikes of oppertunity. It was way over my head when I'm used to da origins type of combat, just go whack stuff, use tactical pause to setup spell combos.

The rules seem to be inspired by D&D and other tabletop RPGs, but they work quite differently for the most part.

Magic spells have the same stupid limited uses between rests which has never really made sense to me.

Are the rules very strict d&d? I really didn't like neverwinter knights cus of the rule set. I'm not a d&d player, never played it in my life. I like d&d inspired rules like how warcraft and da origins combat uses die rolls, but pretty much every rpg-ish kind of game uses similar concepts so I'm not sure I'd even call it d&d inspired at this point. But I hated in neverwinter not really understanding how to increase my dmg or not understand the rest system or multi classing or strikes of oppertunity. It was way over my head when I'm used to da origins type of combat, just go whack stuff, use tactical pause to setup spell combos.

The rules are not D&D. It is inspired by but it's a lot more intuitive than 2nd ed (Thac0 and AC were kind of backward).

Also the game has many tooltips explaining stuff. For quick reference:
-All damage multipliers are additive
-To hit a D100 is rolled and then you add accuracy minus target deflection. The result will give you either a miss graze hit or crit depending on high it is.
-Damages are then multiplied by bonuses and then reduced by DR (damage reduction) which depends on the type of damage (for exemple skeletons are highly resistant to pierce but weak to crush).
-Spells function the same way but are checked against either fortitude, reflex or will instead of deflection.

To be honest I just explained 75% of the combat rules :p

Well based on my love for Obsidian (FNV), my desire to support this kind of game, and the fantastic and consistent reviews, I bought the game for full price on steam.

I'm 1 hour in and so far I'm thoroughly impressed.

So far it's very good. The only glitch I had is sometimes a fight doesn't end (probably because of an enmey behind alocked door), making it impossible to leave the level/pick up stuff/do things/save because the game believes you're still in a fight. This forces saving abit more often, but otherwise the game is really excellent.

Screw my backlog. I haven't bought a game this year, and it's getting rave reviews everywhere. I got it and spent a good chunk of my weekend playing.
It really is awesome. It has the old-school feel, but with much better game mechanics and the excellent writing makes up for the graphis and lack of body language. Combat isn't that hard on Normal, apart from a couple of exceptions like a certain noble with his bodyguards. the characters seem interesting, although I don't know them very well yet (and in Durance's case, I don't know how wel I ant to know him).
I haven't noticed a single bug or crash yet.

Hmmmm, i am in a dilemma. Do i get this now or do i wait for a sale. Experience tells me that paradox games do not go on sale for quite a while, especially when they are popular. And i absolutely loved BG. Not so much Icewind dale as that was more of a dungeon romp.

If you're willing to wait three months, it will likely have at least a small discount during the summer sale and will be patched up and stuff (it has a few bugs, a few are major too, but I haven't had them affect me yet aside from one that was easily fixed). It is very good though, I am really enjoying it.

I would only wait if money was tight. Otherwise, this is exactly the kind of situation where you want to vote with your dollars.

There are a few major bugs, some potentially game breaking. I've only encountered one minor and one major bug so far (tutorial pop up sound gets stuck in a loop, fixed by turning them off and when you dismiss companions from your party it wipes their inventory, fixed by clearing their inventory before you do so and waiting desperately for a patch). But there should be a patch this week, hopefully it fixes most of them.

I have played all of 10 minutes of it, and so far i love it. It looks amazing. Time to strip off to my underwear, turn up the heating, and order a pizza i think. At least thats what im going to do when the wife is next away.

It seems I encountered more thana couple of bugs, just didn't notice them immediately due to me not obsessively monitoring my stats. Rather than try to find where it all went wrong, I'll just restart. I'll make the same kind of char (Meadow Folk Shieldbeared Paladind with Valia- Slave background), but I think I'll take different talents.

Yeah they are working on fixing them with a patch due after the weekend.

EDIT: So I got stuck on level 13 of the Endless Paths, turns out you have to do some quest first. Also I highly recoomend using scouting a lot, I missed a LOT of stuff that I used a guide to find the locations off because scouting is too ing slow, but lots of hidden loot and buttons.

Also had my first Leaden Key ambushl, the three weakly wizards boasted about a numerical advantage against my six heavily armed party members and Sagani's wolf. Needless to say it was a very, very short fight. More of a butcher really.

Top Bottom