Game of the Year

My apologies, I was swampped at work so I haven't checked in since last week. I just edited the main post with all the current nominees for 1991. Will count votes til Friday.

1991 nominees are:
Another World
Civilization
SimCity
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
Turrican II: The Final Fight
Lemmings
Cruise for a Corpse
Sonic the Hedgehog

I totally forgot about Sonic. Going to have a very hard time with my vote between sonic and link to the past. Omega's points are great ones, and sonic really launched sega, became a huge character franchise, possibly only second to mario all time. Though I guess lately sonic titles have been poor so that hurts the legacy, as now a franchise like assassin's creed or mass effect seems more credible but there was a time when Sonic was it. I also feel like the original was the best game. Sonic 2 was very fun as well but I still prefer the original.

But then you have a link to the past, just a solid game, possibly the best zelda title, another juggernaut of a franchise. Overall I think a deeper game.

^I haven't played Sonic, but i doubt anyone is of the view it was "deeper" than LTTP. Not that LTTP was super-deep, but still it had a plotline and more space for atmosphere and a tale to be told than a platformer like Sonic :)

I think you read my post wrong. I said LTTP was a solid game and deeper. I think it's a better game.

"But then you have a link to the past, just a solid game, possibly the best zelda title, another juggernaut of a franchise. Overall I think a deeper game."

Hm, I guess
vote=Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I don't even like Zelda that much, but that game is an exception. It was really something when it came out. One of the first games that had a very visually tangible game world. I'm not sure how else to put it. The music is very good too. There is something about the mood of that game and the time it came in a lot of people's lives. It kind of solidified my interest in fantasy and things like Dungeon and Dragons when I was a kid I suppose.

I had a hard time picking it over Another World.

^Traitor! :mad:

It seems i will be the only one voting for Another World :(

Vote=Another World

@Civvver: I was just a bit surprised by the way you worded your sentence, given that LTTP surely is deeper than any platformer (Sonic included), and it seemed like you were presenting your own claim that LTTP is deeper, as some sort of contested one ;)

I vote for Sim City.

Solid game that spawned three great sequels which are still playable today (SC2013 was made by different people and doesn't count). Sequels that weren't afraid of taking at least some new steps even if they didn't always work out, no endless rehash and trying to stuff 2D designs and gameplay into low-quality 3D environments and the majority of its fanbase doesn't need to seek psychiatric help.

I played the original Sim City on a frickin' SNES. I also played it on PC a bit. By that time I was playing SimCity 2000 though. The original was already a good game, but it's really the sequels that shine for me though. Bit like Civ...

Vote - Civ

vote=Civilization

I am changing my vote to Civilization, because I have played Civ2 more than the Sim City series.

Isnt it supposed to be about the game and not the series? Sim city IMO is a superior game to the original civ. But civ 2 is superior to sim city 2000.

Votes counted and done. I didn't even count that closely as Civ ran away with it. I might've missed a sim city vote, though maniacal changed his. Oh and mine was for LTTP!
Vote=LTTP there it's official!

Well I guess my passionate descriptions of the game and my criticisms of civ1 weren't enough to dissuade the panel of voters, not surprised given it's a civ forum.

So what's up for 1992? I'm going to have trouble with the next couple years, I was too young to buy my own games and didn't own that many from 1990-1996ish. Super mario kart? Good game but not exactly legendary. Sonic the hedgehog 2? Another fine game but I actually like the first better. Pirates gold wasn't til next year, Link's awakening not til next year. I'm struggling to think of great pc games from 1992.

In the end, it's a little outside the box, but I'm going to nominate Kirby's dream land for gameboy. It's a great, fun platformer, the first in the kirby series. While it lacks features and is not a long game, the charm of it is really appealing and like I said launched the iconic Kirby character. This might be a bit of a reach but again I'm struggling to remember games specifically from 1992.

Nomination=Kirby's Dream Land

Top Bottom