Game of the Year

Good games from 1992 : Dune, Dune II, Ishar, Epic, Flashback, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld, and of course Street Fighter II.

You know, this thread reminds me just how much great games there were nearly each month in this era, while today we are lucky to have even one a year...

Anyway, I'm torn.
Street Fighter 2 was such a huge success and redefined the fighting game forever.
Dune 2 gave birth to the entire RTS genre, practically unchanged even now.
Dune 1 was groundbreaking in its cinematic adventure, and a truly great game.
Ultima VII was the best of a very famous serie.
Ultima Underworld was the first true first-person 3D game, and had a depth, a story and a length that shame most games of today.
Flashback was one of the best action game ever, popular enough to get several remake.

The others, while still very good, aren't AS good/defining as these ones. But it'll be a to chose...

Edit : added Flashback.

Good choices Akka, my vote probably goes to one of them.

I still nominate:

nomination=Wolfenstein 3D
nomination=Super Mario Kart
nomination=Flashback
nomination=Ultima VII
nomination=Dune II

The last two just in case your post wasn't official nominations ;)

My vote will go to "Flashback" by the genial Delphine guys since i could not vote for "Another World" in ´91 due to Civ being there too.

Meamwhile:
nomination=Dark Seed (because HR Giger art)
nomination=The Patrician (because its originallity)
nomination=Alone in the Dark (because it was scary)
nomination=Heimdall (because intro and music mostly)

Good choices Akka, my vote probably goes to one of them.

I still nominate:

nomination=Wolfenstein 3D
nomination=Super Mario Kart
nomination=Flashback
nomination=Ultima VII
nomination=Dune II

The last two just in case your post wasn't official nominations ;)

Holy sh... Did I just miss Flashback ? 0_o

*look at the Wiki list*

Goddam, yes I did. Let's add Flashback to my list too then, and it only makes the choice more of an headache. I'm going to edit my post.
(no Wolf 3D though, it's both much more simplistic and much less impressive than Ultima Underworld)

Streetfighter II is from 1991. Mortal Kombat (as posted above) is from 1992 :) (and obviously the coin-op versions were the defining ones for both. SFII was easily the best fighting coin-op of its time, and only MK could rival it to some degree later on).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_II

As for Flashback:

I played it on the Snes. A good game, but nothing compared to the original Another World. Flashback had, again, amazing animation and good gfx all-around, but from what i recall the story just was not there.

Some other notable games from 1992 (checked with the wiki list) :

-Alcatraz

-History line 1914-1918 (part of the Battle Isle series)

Others have either been mentioned already, or are less good imo (Lost Vikings, Humans, etc)

I will nominate/vote later :)

I'm sad, I just didn't play any of these that much. Just curious, what's the age group here? I was born in '84 so only 8, wasn't able to get to the arcade that much to play mortal kombat though I did love it. Of all those mentioned I played mario kart the most at my friend's and I had a gameboy which is why I mentioned Kirby. Got a lot of kirby in on family vacation car trips.

What about super street fighter 2? Much different from regular 2? Because that's the one I remember being popular.

I only know dune for it's historical importance introduce the rts genre to the masses and as a precursor to command and conquer and warcraft. I only know ultima as a precursor to pretty much every modern rpg.

I am 5 years older than you (born in '79). :)

Iirc Super Street Fighter II might have been from 1992, but it was basically the same game apart from the option to select the main bosses as well (Vega, Sagat and Bison) and (i think in the same version) you could play against the same fighter, at least in 2-player mode.

(edit: forgot that in SSFII you could also choose Balrog (the american boxer). Just nobody did anyway :D )

Yeah, Historyline was very good too. Didn't add it because I tried to keep only the truly "great and defining" games of the year (Street of Rage 2 was very fun also, for example).
Again, it's depressing to see how many good games we got then and how few now :(

Civver : not much older than you, but I started with an Amiga at quite a young age.
Also, you're talking of Dune 2. Dune is also from the same year, and is also quite defining, but for a different genre entirely (cinematic/adventure, though admitedly there was also a bit of strategy in it).

Thorgalaeg mentioned DarkSeed. I didn't play that adventure at the time (only a decade later). I would probably have been interested in it in the early 90s if i knew of its existence. The game is dark indeed, but still had a number of bad choices for an adventure game that supposedly was trying to be "serious" (eg you could climb down a rope made of bedsheets, and then climb back again as if you were some navy seal- the character you control is by no means thin or athletic).

I gave up after that point since it ruined the mood for me.

I didnt get quite far myself either, since the puzzles were difficult and my english was not that good back then, however i still remember it like a notable and very atmospheric game.

I'm not much older than you Civvver. But I played a lot of these old games in the mid 90s on older computers I had access to. I started gaming at a very young age in the 80s on a Coleco and the NES after that. My computer experience really only starts from early in the 90s and the mid 90s. At that point it seems that the older 80s games were still around quite a bit. You needed rather good computers for the new games that were coming out. I was always playing old games until maybe 96 when I finally got hold of a contemporary computer :p Even then, with the early internet and the "scouring obscure internet sites for download links of free games", you often ended up with copies of these old games somehow...

I updated the post with current nominees. You can start voting now but things got kinda slow, probably for the holiday weekend, I know I didn't post any. So maybe we'll keep voting open until next friday morning. You can vote for games not on the nominations list too, they're just summarized there so you can see other people's suggestions.

I spent a lot of time playing video games growing up but it was all spent on a few games. I mainly had to buy my own and this was before I knew how to find anything online, plus dial up sucked majorly back then anyway. So mainly a lot of nes (mario and zelda), genesis (sonic and spiderman/marvel games), n64 with a few classic pc games in the mix like lords of the realm 2, civ and sim city. I also got sucked into wow for several years so that whole period is lacking in game variety as well :lol:

Nominations 1992:
Sensible soccer
Pinball Dreams

nomination=Darklands

It's really exceptional because it's an historically accurate representation of the HRE in the 15th century. All of the superstitions of the time are real, so while there aren't any orcs, you do fight demons, gargoyles, witches and such. An alchemy system stands in for magic; you can toss (or quaff) potions in battle. You control a party, and the combat is isometric real-time with pause. There's also a religion system—you can donate and pray to saints to gain favour with them, and ask for their help when you're in trouble. Much of the game is text based, which I love because it opens up a lot of possibilities. For example, while travelling, you might get a screen which says that your companion has gotten stuck in a bog and is sinking, and a variety of options to deal with the situation, including praying to a saint for aid.

However..

vote=Ultima Underworld

Because I played UU a lot more than anything released that year, and it was such an innovative game.

vote= Mortal Kombat, I mean come on, it, along with some other games is the whole reason we have the ESRB now.

Top Bottom