Fallout 4

The interior decorating in Skyrim didn't hold my interest once I realized that it didn't really do very much. My little house was just a fancy storage locker.

What little I've read about Fallout 4, your town(s) will have more functionality, and you'll have to defend them from attacks. It would be disappointing if the basebuilding turns out to be pointless. I don't mind if it's optional, but "optional" shouldn't have to mean "zero impact." I'm sure it's a difficult balance to strike for a game designer, but [crap], if we're paying this much money they can come up with a good solution.

Hrm. Yeah. It definitely needs more time in the oven.

They should give people who help iron out the bugs some kind of in-game bonus or item, or something. World of Tanks gave players who played 1,000 games during the beta a unique vehicle. Of course, a single-player RPG can't really have a beta, so the release ends up being the crowd-sourced bug hunt. The devs can have 100 people playing 12 hours a day for 6 months and they still won't get a fraction of what people can do in the first week of release. According to Tech Insider, Fallout 4 sold 1.2 million units, with Steam registering 445,000 concurrent players, on its the first day.

When I read that I was like, only 1.2 million? Wow that's a flop. And then I realized that's PC only :eek:

I will read Discastipaded's review later when I have time, but from your posts it seems just a little that you may be ill informed? I mean the game has it's basic flaws (read my elevator review, got that problem fixed BTW so the widow's adventure contnues... for now) which is classic Bethesda and something I expected since announcement, but from all the negative reviews and posts I get kinda confused.

What you mean no loot to sell? What you mean everything looks the same? Compared to FO3 and NV? :D I'd say on the contrary the world looks more interesting and diverse than ever. Combat is... well a lot of people seem to say is much better. I think it's mostly the same, especially if you like me prefer to use the RP elements given (VATS), but yeah it seems to work better as FPS than before, if that's your cup of coffee. Did not venture much into the main story because having too much fun "eating the crust" as someone said somewhere. But nevertheless it seems much more intriguing than FO3 or NV... for now at least. Not that I care, it's the crust that I always cared about. Overall it's a bad game or a good game depending on how you look at it. It is Bethesda and :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) will happen (again my review), but it's definitely in no way worse that previous 2 titles. Having more fun than ever venturing out to loot and then coming back to base scrapping it and improving your gear. I don's see how it's dumbed down compared to previous 2...

Yeah, I haven't played it yet, but under the heaping helping of bugs and unpolished edges, I think I see a great game that I will sooner or later spend a godawful amount of time playing.

Conan O'Brien has a few youtube vids regarding Fallout 4 - Bethesda clearly paid him a bit for some advertisement. They're pretty funny nonetheless if you like Conan. There's a cold open and a clueless gamer.

Cold open

Clueless gamer

From both reviews above I can see the greatest improvement in this game is combat and enemy AI. And that's okay. But combine that with the reductions in role play opportunities, and you have to admit this is just a shooter game with a story behind it. And I'm okay with that. As I said above, if it didn't have the Fallout name, I would be more okay with this game. As long as the story is good, a shooter type game will keep my attention (like the Mass Effect games). But most shooters have bad stories, and I never finish them, I learned my lesson and never buy them.

The settlement building more than compensates removed skills etc. in terms of gaming depth/complexity. I don't know if settlements are actually a role-playing thing but anyway...

The settlement building more than compensates removed skills etc. in terms of gaming depth/complexity. I don't know if settlements are actually a role-playing thing but anyway...

For some that might be true. For me, if I wanted to play Minecraft I'd play Minecraft. I play Fallout games when I want RPG's, I'm not that interested in playing SimCity when I load up an FO game.

Conan's clueless gamer is one of the most useless video game previews I've ever seen.

The settlement building doesn't make up for anything, it's a decent addition with lots of modding potential but it's not very deep and has some of its own issues (the defensive wall fences do not 'click' together at all so you're stuck with gaps between each section). You can clear out some collapsed buildings and have their foundation pads be usable for new ones, but they don't line up well with the prefabs or build your own sections and you get overhangs or exposed pad really easily. There is nothing to fill in gaps if you build on a slope either, so stuff can easily be floating in the air. Plus there are so many god damn holes in almost everything, especially roofs. Post-apocalyptic isn't an excuse for people not at least trying to build a decent shelter, especially since it's been 200+ years.

The returns from scrapping stuff is also highly inconsistent and has little to do with how much material you got... I cut down a big tree and got 12 wood, then picked up a couple of branches and got 30 wood. WTF?

Also there are zero animations, it's all plop plop plop. That isn't necessarily bad but it isn't immersive either.

I just started playing last night and I have to say that I like it so far...No bugs so far, only issue being the subtitles getting stuck sometimes, but no biggie...I like that you can customize your weapons and somehow the armor as well, now almost every item in the game is actually useful, even for scrap materials... The settlement stuff is meh, but I haven't really looked into it a lot...The graphics are ok for me, at ultra settings they look pretty nice. Of course it's not like Witcher 3 quality graphics, but given that the creation engine is somewhat dated now, that's ok, plus mods will surely come with 4k textures and stuff...Haven't played enough to give an opinion on the story yet. The combat mechanics seem much improved over the previous games.

The fences do click together (with some fiddling) if you use fence posts in between.

I did end up getting the game just now. I would have waited until it was cheaper, but I had 2 Best Buy gift cards I really wanted to use. One was from like 2 Christmases ago (my brother gets me these, I really wish he wouldn't since most Best Buys don't carry PC games anymore, and I shop for everything online anyways). One gift card is years old, luckily they don't go down in value. I wouldn't pay full price for this game with my own money.

Of course I can't tell you all how the game is. Because in another example of backwards modern technology, I can't actually play the game. I get to wait hours, or possibly days for the game to download. Gone are the days when you could install a game in 10 or 15 minutes (or at worst 20 minutes) and be playing soon after you purchase. Instead you have to wait days to play the game you paid hard earned cash for. This is why I get so pissed off at things like this. You'd think modern technology would make things faster, not slower. Hell, in the 80's on a Commodore 64 with a datacassette tape deck, Bruce Lee would take nearly an hour to load from the datacassette, and that's still faster than being able to play this game. For just that alone, this game is worse than the Commodore 64 Bruce Lee game. :p

And while I'm griping on modern games, I'll give my usual gripe about not being able to name your save games. We had this in the 90's. Why are games going backwards in technology? Argh. :mad:

I know you'll say this game has much better graphics than games in the 80's and 90's, so you are waiting hours and days for that. True, graphics are better, but they aren't that much better. If you ever watched movies like Disclosure, you'd think we'd all be in virtual reality by now, but we aren't. The graphics really aren't that great. The cheap companies just don't want to provide 4 DVD's. :mad::cry:

So one of these days I'll actually be able to play the game. :sleep:

I did end up getting the game just now. I would have waited until it was cheaper, but I had 2 Best Buy gift cards I really wanted to use. One was from like 2 Christmases ago (my brother gets me these, I really wish he wouldn't since most Best Buys don't carry PC games anymore, and I shop for everything online anyways). One gift card is years old, luckily they don't go down in value. I wouldn't pay full price for this game with my own money.

Of course I can't tell you all how the game is. Because in another example of backwards modern technology, I can't actually play the game. I get to wait hours, or possibly days for the game to download. Gone are the days when you could install a game in 10 or 15 minutes (or at worst 20 minutes) and be playing soon after you purchase. Instead you have to wait days to play the game you paid hard earned cash for. This is why I get so pissed off at things like this. You'd think modern technology would make things faster, not slower. Hell, in the 80's on a Commodore 64 with a datacassette tape deck, Bruce Lee would take nearly an hour to load from the datacassette, and that's still faster than being able to play this game. For just that alone, this game is worse than the Commodore 64 Bruce Lee game. :p

And while I'm griping on modern games, I'll give my usual gripe about not being able to name your save games. We had this in the 90's. Why are games going backwards in technology? Argh. :mad:

I know you'll say this game has much better graphics than games in the 80's and 90's, so you are waiting hours and days for that. True, graphics are better, but they aren't that much better. If you ever watched movies like Disclosure, you'd think we'd all be in virtual reality by now, but we aren't. The graphics really aren't that great. The cheap companies just don't want to provide 4 DVD's. :mad::cry:

Lol, one of my favorite things recently is when I started playing The Elder Scrolls Online again. 40-50 gigabyte download on Steam. It finally finishes, I click the launcher... several more hours of downloading patches. WHY aren't these included in the 50 gigs I just spent all day downloading?

The fences do click together (with some fiddling) if you use fence posts in between.

I know the small ones do but does that work for the big defensive wall fences too? Which would be kind of silly since they don't have a specific fence post.

I got Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls as a gift last Christmas. Literally took the key off the case, put the DVD in a drawer, etc. I literally haven't used my DVD drive since I installed Windows 7. :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :)ing thing could've broken a year and a half ago and I'd have no idea.

My only complaint about the game is that even if you got the physical copy, you still have to download like 24 gigs of the game via Steam...I usually buy Digital only, but the Pip-boy edition was too good to pass for this fanboy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it would have been nice to been shipped 4 DVD's instead of 1. Oh well. It's finally downloaded because I left it on while I slept.

The 2 opening movies are pretty good, I enjoyed them. I'm thinking I might enjoy 50% of what this game has to offer. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the settlements, and I may skip them if I am able to (although the forums said they were necessary for a quest because you need the raw materials).

I already know I'm going to hate the dialogue system. But I'm not going to be a major hater on this. Instead I'm just going to make fun of Millennials and their inability to read. You are the reason games are dumbed down in this way. I would be embarrassed and ashamed if I was a millennial. I worry for the future if this country if Millennials can't read. How will they read technical manuals? Or business reports if they work in an office environment. I'm just going to make fun of Millennials and call them illiterate. :p

Hmmm my game crashed to desktop, isn't that nice.

You might enjoy it more if you didn't try so hard to hate every little bit about it. Who does this serve? No one really, just try and enjoy the game, forget obligatory hating of the new guy (game) for a moment.

BTW how is this game in any way dumbed down? Please point me in the right direction, because I don't see it. I could complain about thousand things as this IS Bethesda game, but dumbed down? I don't see it. All I see is the same sandbox we get every 4 years or so with slightly improved graphics and a few features.

Conan's clueless gamer is one of the most useless video game previews I've ever seen.
Just looked at it by curiosity. :lol: The guy is damn funny! Have to see all the reviews. There are a lot!

Reduced text is dumbed down. Face it, Americans are dumb and can't read. It's just that simple. I won't get into it any more. I don't want to upset the fan boys. I just wasn't impressed with what the leader of the minutemen had to say. Maybe he'll say more later, we'll see.

The game is fun as an exploration game. So far that's the most fun I've had with it. Although it's also fun at a cinematic level. Visually the game is fun.

I think I have the building thing figured out, just not sure what to build. None of it interests me. Reminds me of the Sims. I just built the chair for Mama Murphy, and that's it for now. I can care less what these settlers do. Role play wise I should be concentrating on finding my son.

I still have to decide what to do with my perk points. I didn't get a manual with the game. And I haven't figured out how to choose perks to increase my gun skills. I only seems to get perks related to my SPECIAL stats. I'm just saving my perk points for now I guess. Until I figure out what to do with them.

Reduced text is dumbed down. Face it, Americans are dumb and can't read. It's just that simple. I won't get into it any more. I don't want to upset the fan boys. I just wasn't impressed with what the leader of the minutemen had to say. Maybe he'll say more later, we'll see.

The game is fun as an exploration game. So far that's the most fun I've had with it. Although it's also fun at a cinematic level. Visually the game is fun.

I think I have the building thing figured out, just not sure what to build. None of it interests me. Reminds me of the Sims. I just built the chair for Mama Murphy, and that's it for now. I can care less what these settlers do. Role play wise I should be concentrating on finding my son.

I still have to decide what to do with my perk points. I didn't get a manual with the game. And I haven't figured out how to choose perks to increase my gun skills. I only seems to get perks related to my SPECIAL stats. I'm just saving my perk points for now I guess. Until I figure out what to do with them.

I'd like to find a corpus of writing from children in a non-self selected sample (e.g. handwritten letters to the president from everyone in the same teacher's 7th grade class every year) -- and score the kids today versus the kids 20 years ago on various objective measures of writing quality. I've heard the idea that exposure to all this amateur peer practice is hurting us, but I'd bet on the generation that conducts the bulk of their social lives via the written word over the generation that occasionally wrote book reports and letters to grandma once a year, any day.

Top Bottom