SGOTM 04 - Geezers

I'm fine with IW before Alpha. Khan won't trade with us if he's the only one we know anyway, so the benefit of spreading around Alpha early is lost by that move...it seems early exploration will be key in getting enough contacts to significantly speed up the world tech pace.

For that same reason, I'm good with starting IW next...unless we can get Math researched quickly? I can't access the save right now cause I'm at school, but if we can research Math in a reasonable amount of time, I would prefer it first for the bonus to forest chops.

Once that tech is finished though, Alpha should be researchable much quicker...we'll have all 3 gold mines up and running by then, which should greatly increase our tech pace.

As far as a second WB to explore north, Gandhi's borders won't block us, but it'd run the risk of being seized and destroyed by any galleys or triremes that Gandhi might have built...once we get Sailing, we should build and send a trireme up there to explore his land and meet his neighbors.

As for city builds, etc. I'm perfectly fine with what mark proposed.

On a final note, considering the hardship Simon had last game getting the spoiler written, and the fact that I think, given enough time I could write a decent one, I'm volunteering to write ours this time around...I'll try to write it as we go, that way everything is fresh in my mind when I'm writing it.

On a final note, considering the hardship Simon had last game getting the spoiler written, and the fact that I think, given enough time I could write a decent one, I'm volunteering to write ours this time around...I'll try to write it as we go, that way everything is fresh in my mind when I'm writing it.

Well volunteered sir. :goodjob: :hatsoff: Don't forget there'll also be a mid game spoiler.

I like the idea of Iron Working as well. Strategically, it would be useful to know where the iron is.

Also, how much attention do we need to pay to our current status on the Power Graph. Does it matter that we are falling behind?

Here I go again. As much as I want us to learn IW, I think Thrallia's reminder for math deserve more discussion. We are running out of time to build the Mids. We may have to use a good number of chops to make sure we get it built. That 50% bonus is going to be a major boon. Can we get it discovered during your turn set? Oh...I am now changing my science choice to Math.:blush: We can not risk loosing the Mids to some AI in this game. We need that GE before MC. We need all the :hammers: we can get.

Harbourboy:
If you are referring to the actual power graph, there's nothing to worry about. The power graphs refers to military power, of which we've got plenty right now, there's not really any need for more military than we've got currently unless we just really wanted to drag down our research pace with it.

As for culture, we are way behind VQ, just as everyone else is, but we're doing pretty good compared to everyone else...A side note though, it appears CRC built a monument, just as we did, about 8 or 9 turns before we did. That may mean they got their 2nd city about that same amount of time before we did, or that they researched Mysticism sooner than us.

As far as the score graph goes, until 3 turns ago we had more points than CRC! At this point of the game, about 80% of score is population, since there's likely not any wonders yet, and land is very scarce, along with everyone being in the ancient ages still.

Actually, from the jump in the CRC score graph, either they had 2 or 3 cities grow during their last turnset, or they built Oracle/Pyramids...fromt he lack of a jump in their culture graph, I think it is city growth.

From a cumulative reading of the current graphs, it appears no one is going for the Oracle except possibly VQ. I'd bet against anything that CRC is heading for the Pyramids just as we are, and that they are prechopping all the trees in their capital to be chopped immediately upon discovery of Math...if we can do the same, we should be in great position, as long as we don't fumble things, to retain a position for some laurels.

I was actually referring to the power graph from our own game which showed us falling behind the Indians and the Mongols. Whenever I play and fall behind, everyone sees an opportunity and attacks me. Just wondering at what point we would consider being concerned about that.

Lots of good discussion here, guys. Keep it up.

What's a "mid"?

How many turns away are we from building another city then? Am I going to have to deal with a settler on my turn?

I am not fussed either way between Iron Working or Mathematics. They are both useful for me.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but I can't find the answer anywhere else on this site (although I gave up looking after about only about 10 minutes): who pays for the costs associated with this site? There must be some not insignificant hosting and other related costs, that can't possibly be paid for by just those banner ads.

How many turns away are we from building another city then? Am I going to have to deal with a settler on my turn?

I doubt that we're likely to found any new cities in the near future. They cost too much investment. Far more likely is that we'll concentrate on building up the infrastructure in our existing cities. Alongside that there's a reasonable chance that we may decide to take over the odd barb city e.g. the one to the SW of El Do.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but I can't find the answer anywhere else on this site (although I gave up looking after about only about 10 minutes): who pays for the costs associated with this site? There must be some not insignificant hosting and other related costs, that can't possibly be paid for by just those banner ads.

I don't have an answer to that. I suggest posting your query in this forum.

OT for this game but I wish we had known about this thread and associated spreadsheet in the last game.:cry:

I will start in a few hours from now. Math will take 27 turns at the moment. I am still for IW first.

I usually try to get math before I start chopping but we don't need to chop pyramids until the end of the build - chop hammers. How long until pyramids done (once started of course)? I'd prefer to find out where the iron is and start planning to settle another city if needed to get it before Khan settles north into us and blocks it but I'm not against math either as I hate to waste trees. :)

I do think we need to start thinking about expanding again. Either by building or by warring. Once we get the gold and gems hooked up we should be able to support another city (gems is another reason to get IW soon). I'd like to know where that iron is because I'd hate for Khan to settle north into us and block us from being able to get iron which would force us to go to war even if we'd rather not. It's sorta planned anyway but I don't like the thought of him having iron and his UU (he does have horses and iirc they are hooked up already) with us having only axes and chariots.

Hope that makes sense it's past my bedtime. Sorry if it isn't totally coherent.

I will start in a few hours from now. Math will take 27 turns at the moment. I am still for IW first.

I can understand the desire for Maths but I agree that IW is a better choice now.

Change chariot to rax in El Do, pigs to Nidaros

IBT : nothing

1) 1000BC : warrior continues to scout SE

2) 985BC : more scouting SE

IBT : second gold mine is finished

3) 970BC : El Do gets the pigs back and works the second gold mine
Nidaros still produces the worker next IBT and gets back the mine

IBT : writing comes in, due to the fact that we can work the second gold mine research costs are reduced considerably
IW in 13, math would be 17, alpha 21

Nidaros : worker -> Pyramids in 75

4) 955BC : new worker from Nidaros helps farming the corn at the city
up research to 90%, so we get IW in 12 at -1 gpt while having 14 in the kitty

IBT : El Do : rax -> chariot

5) 940BC : Khan has another city at the East coast
corn at Nidaros is completed, assign this tile to being worked to speed up growth

6) 925BC : move back our warrior as there is nothing left to scout in that region
our workboat is trapped now as we would have to go through Mongolian territory to get it back home

7) 910BC : worker start s roading towards upps
worker starts mining one hill at Nidaros

8) 895BC : nothing

IBT : Upps : Granary -> library

9) 880BC : nothing

IBT : Khan takes the barb city
Upps is connected to our empire by road

10) 865BC : worker is moved to help the worker at Nidaros

11) 850BC : nothing

IBT : El Do : chariot -> settler

12) 835BC : nothing

13) 820BC : start mining another mountain at Nidaros

IBT : The Great Wall has been built in a far away land

14) 805BC : nothing

IBT : a barb axe appears in the North

15) 790BC : start mining the third gold mountain at El Do

IBT : we enter the classical era
IW -> maths in 15

16) 775BC : we have iron in the North at the sheep, there our new settler should go

17) 760BC : not much

18) 745BC : Stonehenge is completed in a far away land

19) 730Bc : Gandhi adopts Heredetiary Rule

20) 715BC : chop forest at El Do to speed up the settler

21) 700BC : nothing

Roster :

Thrallia - on deck
Htadus
Sam
Jenarie
Mark - just played
Harbourboy - UP

Looks like we have a number of choices to make. ;) My thoughts and queries for the next turnset are as follows:

• Now that we have IW we need to get those gems mined.
  • Do we really need iron atm? Berserkers only require copper or iron so we don't need it for our UU. Is Khan likely to attack us any time soon and do we need to build another city atm?
  • We don't have the military to attack Khan at present. However I think there's a lot to be said for building up our military now. Khan is not known for being a peaceful neighbour. :crazyeye: Btw Keshiks do not require iron. If the extra military doesn't deter Khan from attacking us then at least it will help defend us. If we defer the settler and start building military then the two workers by El Do can leave the forest pre-chopped and mine those gems instead.
  • Tech path presents a few choices. Alpha meets mark's criteria for research and Khan now knows Ghandhi although he's annoyed at him. If we want to get the GLib then Alpha is on the way. Construction is needed if we want cats. Currency is good to make our gold work harder for us and is also on the path for CoL. Metal Casting is always useful although I think this needs to be further down the line. I have to say I favour Alpha at present.

As an aside it'll be interesting to see where the WB moves to when Khan's borders pop.

Hi all, sorry I haven't been much help. As expected, my job is killing my free time. I'll try to take a look at the save today and see if I can add any useful advice.

By the way, thought you'd want to know we are getting positive exposure in the press... check out the cover of a recent "Barron's" magazine:

geezer (Custom).jpg

I never would have guessed a business periodical was tracking the progress of Civfanatics succession games... ;)

Hi all, sorry I haven't been much help. As expected, my job is killing my free time. I'll try to take a look at the save today and see if I can add any useful advice.

You gave us fair warning that this would be the case. Any advice is better than none. :goodjob:

By the way, thought you'd want to know we are getting positive exposure in the press... check out the cover of a recent "Barron's" magazine:

View attachment 149118

I never would have guessed a business periodical was tracking the progress of Civfanatics succession games... ;)

Superb! :lol:

Thanks, markh.

I have the file. I am ready to play now - or in 24 hours time.

My initial questions:
1) I see we are building a settler. What is the intention for that one? Are we all agreed he needs to get the Iron north? If so, where EXACTLY?
2) 33 turns to Pyramids. Are we supposed to be chopping anything to get that?
3) Any burning priorities as to what to build next in El Dorado and Uppsala? I guess at least one more military unit is required soon, to assist with the defence of an expanded 4 city empire.

Thanks, markh.

I have the file. I am ready to play now - or in 24 hours time.

24 hours time is far more preferable as it gives the other players time to comment . My comments are here.

That's fine. I intend to play in 23 hours time then, unless people want longer to comment. I suggest that most important topic is what to do with settler that is about to arrive at any moment.

Top Bottom