Bothered by lost uniqueness

Tandaw

Chieftain
This is one small thing about the game which really bothers me. I love the unique flavour that comes with playing a civ. If I am Rome for instance, playing the wide, empire building, and foe crushing strategy just feels good. It bothers me however when the units that I get as that civ lose their uniqueness upon upgrade. Take the roman UUs for instance. Once they are out of their age there is nothing special about them. I find that when I realize nothing carries over that the unit become much less valuable to me. Look as say the Aztec Jags, their heal-upon-kill, jungle movement and bonus makes them worth keeping around through the upgrade path. Then there is the Babs bowman, small niche window of use and no upgrade benefits....it just takes some value out of them.

Would be nice if they kept their road building :p

A death robot would be a pretty useless UU, the game is usually over or pretty much decided by the time they come along.

It's been a long time since I played Rome; the Legions don't retain their road-building skill on upgrade? That's lame...

No, he's just saying some abilities seem weird given what they upgrade too. That's why Firaxis made a choice to drop some and keep others. I'm not sure of the rationale for some though, I'd rather they all be kept other than weapon-specific stuff like the impi spear-throw.

I like uniqueness too. It would be nice if it were only retained visually. Like musketmen wearing roman legion helmets, winged tanks, brown skinned loincloth wearing riflemen, knights with fake beards, etc. The upgraded unique units would forever play the role of elite nationalistic corps.

It's been a long time since I played Rome; the Legions don't retain their road-building skill on upgrade? That's lame...

They don't, but being the uber-cool UU they are (though not as ridiculously strong as in Civ IV, remember?) you will have hopefully built enough of them that you don't have to upgrade them all. Then, you can keep them around throughout the game for road construction - they cost the exact same as a Worker, after all.

(This is part of what's so strong about Rome - you can build Legions instead of Workers, running that huge military from the onset of the game)

I like uniqueness too. It would be nice if it were only retained visually. Like musketmen wearing roman legion helmets, winged tanks, brown skinned loincloth wearing riflemen, knights with fake beards, etc. The upgraded unique units would forever play the role of elite nationalistic corps.

If that happened I would be afraid to send them to war. they'd...they'd be personalized. What if one of them died?! ;)

Top Bottom