The Kuriotates

Maian said:
Here's a way to scale the number of cities: Guarantee the Kuriotates a certain of cities (obviously at least 1), then add a number of additional cities, the number scaling logarithmically the area controlled. Specifically, calculate the # plots the Kuriotates controls, take the square root of it, round down, divide it by x, and add y to it to get the number of cities, where x = growth factor and y = # guaranteed cities. For example, if x = 1/4 and y = 2, then here's a chart of the number cities allowed:
  • 1 plot controlled -> 2 cities
  • 16 plots controlled -> 3 cities
  • 64 plots controlled -> 4 cities
  • 144 plots controlled -> 5 cities
  • 256 plots controlled -> 6 cities
If they ever lose enough area so that it can no longer sustain one city, the population of that city should decrement each turn until it reaches 1, at which point it turns into a settlement.

We are just going to base it on map size. Using a system like this would force the Kuriotates to expand to gain plots so they can build more cities, which we wouldn't want. On a duel map they can only have 2 cities, on large they can have 4, and on huge they can have 5. Then the player can decide how many settlements or landmass he wants to try to control with his empire.

M@ni@c said:
You could tie their # of cities to population size instead of number of settlements.

Don't think that would work. Each new city you get allows you to grow your population even bigger, which can lead to another city. Since settlements are so small and don't effect overall population that much, the number of cities wouldn't scale with map size either.

Could you allow settlement to build dimensional gates? I find it very hard to get any late game offensive pressure without them. (Like the AI, i seem to be too stupid to use boats ;). ) They are very expensive anyway: As it would take to long to build them in settlements, the player would fast build them most of the time.

The Nexus solved this problem becauses it sneaks the gates past the building restiriction. By the way (already posted that in the ballance recommendation thread) i think the nexus is very undercosted.

Bright day
Argh! There was Kurioartes discussion while my comp was fried:(. World is so unjust.

We are just going to base it on map size. Using a system like this would force the Kuriotates to expand to gain plots so they can build more cities, which we wouldn't want. On a duel map they can only have 2 cities, on large they can have 4, and on huge they can have 5. Then the player can decide how many settlements or landmass he wants to try to control with his empire.

Is this something that is being adjusted in future release. I am trying out the Kuriotates today on a huge map and was only able to build 3 cities before going into settlements.

Another thing, would it be possible to be able to choose whether your settler builds a city or settlement in the future instead of city/city/city. I would have loved to have been able to spread out my cities more.

One last thing, while I understand the penalty of your cities being unable to build more than city walls/obelisk, when a World Wonder grants you a building in all of your cities would it have really been that game unbalancing to not gain what it gives you. I got the World Wonder that gives you a free mage guild in all of your cities and even though it probably would have taken me 100 turns to build that poor little Adept, I would have liked to have gotten the chance to do so.

Otherwise not doing to bad with them so far. In the year 220 I have a 150 point lead on my nearest competitor, lots of unhappiness problems, I am only playing warlord setting though. Keep up the great work.

Nimbus said:
Another thing, would it be possible to be able to choose whether your settler builds a city or settlement in the future instead of city/city/city. I would have loved to have been able to spread out my cities more.

I second this idea. I think it would allow for more strategic options when playing Kuriotates. Maybe only the starting settler builds a real city, and then all subsequent settlers build only settlements? Then one could decide later which to upgrade.

JuliusBloodmoon said:
Or make a special settler to the Kuriotates... So they have 2 settlers, one that builds citys and other that builds settlements

Good idea. I think I like that better than mine.

JuliusBloodmoon said:
Or make a special settler to the Kuriotates... So they have 2 settlers, one that builds citys and other that builds settlements

I think that's confusing to newbies and prone to stupid mistakes (accidently building city settler instead of settlement settler). I'd prefer if it were another ability - "Build Settlement" right next to the "Build City" ability, with the Build City one disabled (with a mouseover hint explaining why it's grayed out) when the max # cities is reached.

The alternate "build only settlements and upgrade to city" approach works just as well for me. There could be a fake building called "Upgrade to City", which would be grayed out if there are already too many cities.

Would be nice if there was also a way to turn a city into a settlement as well to free up a city slot. It could work like this. Cities can build a fake building called "Downgrade to Settlement". Once clicked, the population/size of the city decreases by 1 per turn until it reaches pop 1 (or the maximum pop that the soon-to-be-settlement can have). Only then would the city become a settlement, freeing up a city slot. The purpose of the gradual population reduction is to penalize downgrading larger cities, so besides the investment gone into building up the city, there would be a time cost too.

I don't like the idea of 'downgrading' cities to settlements. I think it has no real logic, no flavour specific to FfH. IMO, the Kuriotates' cities form the initial core of their civilization, hubs of lore, trade, power; they are where they are, one just can't wipe away all the glory that a Kuriotate city represented and 'downgrade' it to a mere settlement. The player should take care to found his cities in apropriate spots.

When will scaling come into action?

Kael said:

I meant this, just started a Huge Terra and boy does Tripolis hurt my backside.

evanb said:
I don't like the idea of 'downgrading' cities to settlements. I think it has no real logic, no flavour specific to FfH. IMO, the Kuriotates' cities form the initial core of their civilization, hubs of lore, trade, power; they are where they are, one just can't wipe away all the glory that a Kuriotate city represented and 'downgrade' it to a mere settlement. The player should take care to found his cities in apropriate spots.

Well I guess it's already possible right now in a hacky way. Give a city to an enemy, upgrade chosen settlement to city, declare war on enemy, capture former city. Haven't done this before so I don't know if this is really possible.

OT: Is it possible to destroy your own buildings? If so, I can't find any to do that...

evanb said:

I agree with you on this - I think once a Kuriotate city is a city, it should remain that way. In terms of taking care to found cities in appropriate spots, I agree, but I would maintain that being able to decide initially between settlement and city is a necessary aspect of this. Founding only settlements and then upgrading to cities, having a settler with two different founding options, or having two different types of settlers are all viable ways to make that work, IMO.

Hi all,

Sorry, i don't read all that was wrote so my opinion and idea may have be yet debated.
Because Kuriotates only have 3 real cities that can produce, it's always difficult in case of big wars with more than 2 opponents to defend your country and avoid your improvements to be pillaged.
So, why not a specific unit freely built in village and town improvements ?
This "Militia" would have no movement point, a low to medium strength, could be upgradable to an "improved militia" with a specific tech or resource, must be linked to a specific city (if technically possible) but could no have promo unless cult of the Dragon if available (or only few ones).
This would gives the Kuriotates a stronger defence. When they lose a city, they lose around one third of their production capacity, it's awesome and sometimes nearly impossible to recover from this loss.

The Frog

Hian the Frog said:
Hi all,

Sorry, i don't read all that was wrote so my opinion and idea may have be yet debated.
Because Kuriotates only have 3 real cities that can produce, it's always difficult in case of big wars with more than 2 opponents to defend your country and avoid your improvements to be pillaged.
So, why not a specific unit freely built in village and town improvements ?
This "Militia" would have no movement point, a low to medium strength, could be upgradable to an "improved militia" with a specific tech or resource, must be linked to a specific city (if technically possible) but could no have promo unless cult of the Dragon if available (or only few ones).
This would gives the Kuriotates a stronger defence. When they lose a city, they lose around one third of their production capacity, it's awesome and sometimes nearly impossible to recover from this loss.

The Frog
I have had this loss and this kind of loss with many civs. And it is difficult to recover from. Four rounds and then you are really in trouble......yet i witnessed MadBrad do this very thing 2 days ago with the Kuriotetates and "I am still geeking out about it!" -Syndrome from the Incredibles. So it can be done.....likelyhood and ease being separate yet concontributing malfactors regardless.....and I'm not being redundant. If you have ever tried this senario gone bad you now exactly what Hian is talking about.

Top Bottom