Language translations for leader sayings

I've just checked out this thread and found the Wikia page for Alexander. It's not complete, plus some translations given THERE are not literal. Is there a quick way to listen to dialogue without having to play the game? BTW, I like the voice acting in general for the leaders I understand, but Theodora is really screwed up, like they just wanted to make a distinction to Alexander and went creative instead of historically correct or understandable. Of course nobody exactly knows how Theodora spoke, but sound shifts are well known and documented, plus they gave Caesar and Alexander "scientifically reconstructed" pronunciations, instead of just using ecclesiastical Latin or Modern Greek (like eg. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires online).

What does she speak? I understood that she's speaking either Medieval Greek with Latin thrown in (as would be the case with Byzantine Greek) or modern Greek (which is directly related to Medieval Greek and would be no more inappropriate than Harald, Wu, Oda, etc.). But I don't speak Greek, so I only took this info from other people who seemed to know what they were talking about.

Is there a quick way to listen to dialogue without having to play the game?
These lines are sound files, somewhere in sound -> speech -> shared -> Alexander (for example).
Or you can listen to Theodora's lines here.

BTW, I like the voice acting in general for the leaders I understand, but Theodora is really screwed up, like they just wanted to make a distinction to Alexander and went creative instead of historically correct or understandable. Of course nobody exactly knows how Theodora spoke, but sound shifts are well known and documented, plus they gave Caesar and Alexander "scientifically reconstructed" pronunciations, instead of just using ecclesiastical Latin or Modern Greek (like eg. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires online).
It was said in this topic that they outsource these things to a sound recording studio and the studio, in turn, hires translators and voice actors. Unfortunately, not always these people have good conduct of language, the most obvious example being Attila's Chuvash, when even native speakers and scholars studying the language had hard time understanding his speech.

Now I relistened Theodora (just a short duel game setup, to get a quick memory refresher, and I stand now in sofar corrected, as some consonants are pronounced differently and therefore, for byzantine Greek, correctly (eg Θ as a fricative). There are other issues though, partly because of the inherent accent of voice actor, but most prominently her pronounciation of ηθελες τι; (Did you want something?), which is plain wrong. I will listen and analyze Theodora next week, thanks for the link.

[YOUTUBE-OLD]6m6LHvaiTIc[/YOUTUBE-OLD]
Some bits of the new leader's dialogue in this video.
Gajah Mada at the start and at 0:53
Is he speaking Indonesian or a more regional language?
Pedro also says something at 1:15, and Casimir at 1:28

Pedro also says something at 1:15

Pedro speaks Brazilian Portuguese, and so far his lines are:
From the PAX demo, we had his intro:
"Eu sou Pedro, Imperador do Brasil... Tenho pouco tempo para gracejos, o que o traz aqui?" ("I am Pedro, Emperor of Brazil. I have little time for pleasantries, what brings you here?")

From the latest demo, we also heard:
"Deveremos prosperar através do comércio?" ("Should we prosper through commerce(/trade)?")
Most likely his Request line.

From the Featurette, we could briefly hear Dona Maria I. Obviously she speaks European Portuguese.
"Porque viste?" ("Why did you come?")
Said in a really angry tone, so likely her HateHello line. :)

[YOUTUBE-OLD]6m6LHvaiTIc[/YOUTUBE-OLD]
Some bits of the new leader's dialogue in this video.
Gajah Mada at the start and at 0:53
Is he speaking Indonesian or a more regional language?
Pedro also says something at 1:15, and Casimir at 1:28

It is definitely not Bahasa Indonesian, my mom (who knows rudimentary Malay, a closely related language) can't understand. It's likely Javanese.

It is definitely not Bahasa Indonesian, my mom (who knows rudimentary Malay, a closely related language) can't understand. It's likely Javanese.

It's Javanese. One person even suggested it's an Old version of Javanese. The language used during that reign (still used today, but Bahasa Indonesian is of course the main language across Indonesia)

From the latest demo, we also heard:
"Deveremos prosperar através do comércio?" ("Should we prosper through commerce(/trade)?")
Most likely his Request line.

I'm better translating english to portuguese than doing the opposite operation, but I'd translate it as "Let's prosper by trading, shall we?". It's less literal.

Holy crap, does Darius really call you a donkey-driver? :lol:

Casimir's line:

"Jak ci się podoba moja oferta?" ("How do you like my offer?")

Obviously modern Polish. I wonder if his other lines will be antiquated, as it would be a bit cooler to hear. It's a very common practice among Polish writers to throw in outdated words every now and then in novels about medieval and renaissance Poland.

From this video, we can hear Pedro's HateHello line:
"O que vossemecê quer?" ("What do you want?")
To note that "vossemecê" is a very informal "you" - likely said because Pedro's not happy with you. You can see the discussion in this thread, starting on page 30.

PS: I hope I got the line right, she is talking over him...

I've just checked out this thread and found the Wikia page for Alexander. It's not complete, plus some translations given THERE are not literal. Is there a quick way to listen to dialogue without having to play the game? BTW, I like the voice acting in general for the leaders I understand, but Theodora is really screwed up, like they just wanted to make a distinction to Alexander and went creative instead of historically correct or understandable. Of course nobody exactly knows how Theodora spoke, but sound shifts are well known and documented, plus they gave Caesar and Alexander "scientifically reconstructed" pronunciations, instead of just using ecclesiastical Latin or Modern Greek (like eg. Age of Mythology, Age of Empires online).

Can you actually understand what Alexander says? I am Greek, and his accent is so bad, that I can't understand a few of the things he says. I do understand it's ancient Greek, but we never, ever pronounced words like "Ναι" (Ne = Yes) as "Na-i". Or the word "σαφώς" (safos = clearly/certainly) as "sap-hos", as he pronounces it. I am pretty sure Firaxis could at least hire someone Greek to voice Alexander.

Can you actually understand what Alexander says? I am Greek, and his accent is so bad, that I can't understand a few of the things he says. I do understand it's ancient Greek, but we never, ever pronounced words like "Ναι" (Ne = Yes) as "Na-i". Or the word "σαφώς" (safos = clearly/certainly) as "sap-hos", as he pronounces it. I am pretty sure Firaxis could at least hire someone Greek to voice Alexander.

Miro de Monteseppia (Alexander's voice actor) does not sound Greek to me. Émile Khordoc (Augustus's voice actor) can speak good Latin, despite the fact that he was born in France.

Full disclosure, I'm not a native or even a partial speaker of Quechua, but the grammar is very straightforward and lends itself well to dictionary translation. Hopefully this will fill in some of the blanks in Pachacuti's dialogue until a better transcription/translation comes around. Having no real listening experience, my main problem is figuring out where one word ends and another begins in the audio file, which is why I don't have complete entries for Attacked, DeclareWar, Defeated, or Request (HateHear3 is probably just one word but I can't match it to anything yet). Hopefully in the coming months I can get the rest of the lines finished.

Pacachuti
Speaks Northern Quechua
Source: Mainly the vocab list at runasimi.de, in addition to other books and online references.
Intro: How are you (lit:are we well)? I am Pachacuti, emperor of the Incas. (Allinllachu kanchik? Ñuqami kani Pachakutiq, Inkakunapa qhapa.)
Attacked:
Declare War:
Defeated:
Hate Hello: What do you want now? (Imatata munachkanki?)
Hate Hear It 1: Go on! (Chayqa!)
Hate Hear It 2: Go on... (Chayqa...)
Hate Hear It 3:
Hate No 1: That is not possible! (Mana chayqa kanchu!)
Hate No 2: We are not agreeing to that! (Mana chaytaqa rimarichkanchikchu!)
Hate No 3: I beg your pardon! (Qispichiwanchik ñinimi!)
Hate Yes 1: That is good enough. (Allinmi kanqa.)
Hate Yes 2: That is fine. (Hinami kanqa.)
Neutral Hello: How are you doing? (Imaynalla kachkanki?)
Neutral Hear It 1: Go on. (Rispa siri.)
Neutral Hear It 2: You may begin. (Qallarichiy.)
Neutral Hear It 3: What do you say? (Imataq ñichkanki?)
Neutral No 1: No. (Mana.)
Neutral No 2: We absolutely refuse. (Ñuqanchikmi mana ñinchik.)
Neutral No 3: I refuse. (Mana ñini.)
Neutral Yes 1: Very good. (Allipacha.)
Neutral Yes 2: Of course, yes. (Hinam, arí.)
Neutral Yes 3: That is very good. (Allipachami.)
Peaceful: Wonderful! (Añañaw!)
Request:

Despite Cuzco Quechua being in the Southern Quechua family, the voice actor seems to speak a variety of Northern Quechua (probably Ecuadorian). I'm basing this off of some recurring pronunciation differences: H=SH (hinam), LL=ZH (allipacha), Q=K(ñuqami), and syllable-final K/Q tend to get dropped (kanchik).

So the new update just came out, with assets from BNW for those who pre-ordered it. The audio files are included, so we can start translating them! :D

I'm preparing Maria I's and Pedro II's translations, but before I post anything, I need to ask: are the mods ok with it, or should we wait until BNW is released?

Enrico Dandolo speaks Venetian AFAIK. The only thing he said was "Cosa?" when the player (ZacMinor) declared war on him. Cosa is Italian and Venetian but Enrico says it in a Venetian accent.

Thank you mods! :D

Maria I
European Portuguese. To note that she usually uses the formal you ("vós") when referring to the player, with one exception (her HateHello line, most probably because she is angry at you, which is understandable).
Intro: "I am Maria, Queen of Portugal! Have we met before? You look familiar to me... Or maybe not. (Sou Maria, Rainha de Portugal! Já nos conhecemos? Pareceis-me familiar... Ou talvez não.)"
Attacked: "You cannot be serious!(lit. You cannot be speaking seriously!) Well, if that's the case, then we have nothing more to talk about! (Não podeis estar a falar a sério! Bom, sendo assim, não temos mais o que falar!)"
DeclareWar: "I'm afraid I cannot allow your kingdom to exist for much longer! I hope you won't mind... *laughs* (Receio não puder permitir que o vosso reino exista durante muito mais tempo! Espero que não vos importeis... *laughs*)"
Defeated: "What do I know of this conflict? *deep breath* I'll have to consult my regent... (O que conheço deste conflito? *deep breath* Terei de consultar o meu regente...)"
Neutral Hello: "Good morning. (Bons dias.)"
Neutral Let's Hear it 01: "Go on. (Prossegui.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: "I'm all ears. (Só estou de ouvidos.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: "Yes? (Sim?)"
Neutral Yes 01: "Very well. (Muito bem.)"
Neutral Yes 02: "Certainly! (Certamente!)"
Neutral Yes 03: "Deal! (Acordado!)"
Neutral No 01: "Certainly not! (Certamente que não!)"
Neutral No 02: "We refuse! (Recusamos!)"
Neutral No 03: "Of course not! (Claro que não!)"
Hate Hello: "Why did you(informal) come? (Porque viste?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 01: "Speak! (Falai!)"
Hate Let's Hear it 02: "What do you want? (Que pretendeis?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 03: "You again?! (Vós novamente?!)"
Hate Yes 01: "Ok./Very well. (Está bem.)"
Hate Yes 02: "If you insist. (Se insistis.)"
Hate Yes 03: "As you wish. (Como desejais.)"
Hate No 01: "What do you say? (Como dizeis?)"
Hate No 02: "Of course not! (Claro que não!)"
Hate No 03: "You must be kidding me! (Deveis estar a brincar comigo!)"
Peaceful: "Maybe now you'll learn not to underestimate the power of a queen! (Talvez agora aprendeis a não subestimar o poder de uma rainha!)"
Request: "Will you consider this offer? (Ireis considerar esta oferta?)"

Pedro II
Brazillian Portuguese. To note that ALL Hate lines use a VERY informal you ("vossemecê"). Other lines use a more formal you ("você"), not as formal as Maria's though.
Intro: "I am Pedro, Emperor of Brazil. I have little time for pleasantries, what brings you here? (Eu sou Pedro, Imperador do Brasil. Tenho pouco tempo para gracejos, o que o traz aqui?)"
Attacked: "I worry about all those who are affected by this conflict. (Eu me preocupo com todos os afectados por este conflito.)"
DeclareWar: "Your kingdom will be in better hands(lit. will be better) under MY domain. (Seu reinado ficará melhor sobre o MEU domínio.)"
Defeated: "It's because of this that I prefer diplomacy to violence... (É por isto que prefiro a diplomacia à violência...)"
Neutral Hello: "Hello. (Olá.)"
Neutral Let's Hear it 01: "Please, go on. (Por favor, prossiga.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 02: "Continue. (Continue.)"
Neutral Let's Hear It 03: "I'm listening. (Estou ouvindo.)"
Neutral Yes 01: "Ok./Very well. (Está bem.)"
Neutral Yes 02: "Of course. (Claro.)"
Neutral Yes 03: "I agree. (Concordo.)"
Neutral No 01: "No. (Não.)"
Neutral No 02: "We refuse! (Nós recusamos.)"
Neutral No 03: "That is unacceptable. (Isso é inaceitável.)"
Hate Hello: "What do you want? (O que vossemecê quer?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 01: "Speak! (Fale!)"
Hate Let's Hear it 02: "What now? (O que foi agora?)"
Hate Let's Hear it 03: "You again?! (Vossemecê de novo?!)"
Hate Yes 01: "Great! (Óptimo!)"
Hate Yes 02: "If I need to. (Se eu preciso.)"
Hate Yes 03: "As you wish! (Como quiser!)"
Hate No 01: "You cannot be serious!(lit. You cannot be speaking seriously!) (Vossemecê não pode estar falando a sério!)"
Hate No 02: "Definitely not! (Definitivamente não!)"
Hate No 03: "You must be joking! (Vossemecê deve estar brincando!)"
Peaceful: "Brazil's power shines over all adversity! (A força do Brasil resplandece durante todas as adversidades!)"
Request: "Should we prosper through trade(lit. commerce)? (Deveremos prosperar através do comércio?)"

I hope I didn't skip anything! :) Is Morningcalm still around? Be sure to update your OP! :D

Top Bottom