Language translations for leader sayings

Glad to see this thread alive again. :) Some updates:
Somebody on Civ Wiki updated Arabic lines for Harun.

Defeated: لقد انتصرت, تهانينا. قصري الآن هو ملكك, وأتمنى أن تهتم جيداً بالطاووس

Demand: هل بإمكاني التجارةُ معك؟ قد يشرح لك مستشاروك هذا الأمر إذا كنت لا تقدرُ على فهمه

Peaceful: أشكر لكم كرم شروطكم, لن نكون ناكرين للجميل

Also, Attila's defeated line is a reference to Jordanes' quote about his death.
The greatest of all warriors should be mourned with no feminine lamentations and with no tears, but with the blood of men.

Okay I decided to try to write a transaltion for Dandolo quotes, but I'm not quite sure about some sentences.

Dandolo
Speaks Venetian dialect, most likely an older form.
Source: I'm Italian with a certain knowledge of Veneto dialects, though I'm more accustomed to "Veronese" than "Veneziano".
Intro: Welcome to Venice, I'm the Doge Enrico Dandolo (Benvenu a Venezia, So il Doge Enrico Dandolo.)
Attacked:*
Declare War: When you'll be no more, sir, there will be more for me. (Como ghe sarei più vialtri, sior, ghe ne sarà più par mi)*
Defeated: A miscalculation from my part. (Un conto sbaglià, da parte mia)
Hate Hello: You! What do you want? (Vu! Cossa vole'?)
Hate Hear It 1: Speak (Parle')
Hate Hear It 2: You again? (Da novo vu?)
Hate Hear It 3: What do you want? (Cossa vuoi?)
Hate No 1: What? (Cossa?)
Hate No 2: Absolutely not (Assolutamente no)
Hate No 3: That proposal is ridiculous (Ea xe una proposta ridicola)
Hate Yes 1: So be it (Così sia)
Hate Yes 2: If I must (Se devo)
Hate Yes 3: If you insist (Se insiste')
Neutral Hello: Greetings (Saluti)
Neutral Hear It 1: Come (Veni' vanti)
Neutral Hear It 2: Go on (Ande' vanti)
Neutral Hear It 3: Yes? (Si?)
Neutral No 1: No (No)
Neutral No 2: Surely not (De sicuro no)
Neutral No 3: We refuse (Declinemo)
Neutral Yes 1: Very well (Benissimo)
Neutral Yes 2: Okay (Va ben)
Neutral Yes 3: Sure (De sicuro)
Peaceful: I like to see my plans unfolding (Me piase veder i me schemi realizarse)
Request: This offer won't last for much longer, think about it (Sta offerta non sarà valida per tanto tempo, penseghe)

*NOTE: While the rest of the lines I'm 99% sure they are correct the "declare war" and "attacked" lines are kinda hard to understand. The "declare war" one is 75% correct I think.
For "Attacked" I think he says something like "Capis [ve ha i] vostri propositi, ma [s'ha] presto, amigo mio"
The parts under brackets are dubious and probably incorrect, the rest is 99% correct.
It should mean something like "I understand quite well your intentions, but you'll soon (pay for that), my friend." or perhaps it's "I already figured out your intentions". I can't quite tell. It seems that there's a lot of idiomatic expressions in this sentence.

Ok, when you're more sure about the lines I will be happy to upload them. Thanks for your effort! Hopefully other people will chip in to help. :)

Updated Harun's lines in the parent post, but I think the translation for Attila's defeated line is sufficiently clear (and Hunnic history nerds like me know the Defeated line reference). Thanks for pointing it out anyway though! Maybe some people did not know where those famous words came from.

For what it's worth, although my Italian isn't great and my Venetian non-existent, I tend to agree with Killlbray's translation (at least his transcription). I don't know enough of Venetian grammar to differentiate "I understand" and "I already figured out."

Gustavu's text is full of errors.

Attacked: Hahaha, captain Gars will be very glad to get out to war again. (Hahaha, kapten Gars kommer att bli mycket glad över att ge sig ut i krig igen.)

*Should be "head out to"

DeclaresWar: The Hakkapeliittas will ride again and your men will fall just at the sight of my cavalry! [German] God with us! (Hakkapeliterna kommer rida igen och era män kommer att stupa vid bara åsynen inom mitt kavalleri. Gott mituns!)

*"vid bara åsynen inom" should be "vid bara åsynen av"

Defeated: I am the King of Sweden. You can take my lands, my people, my kingdom, you will never reach the House of Vasa. (Jag är Sveriges konung. Ni kan ta min mark, mitt folk, mitt rike, ni kommer aldrig åt Vasaätten.)

*"ni kommer aldrig" should be "men ni kommer aldrig", "you will never" should be "but you will never"

HateNo02: You must be kidding? (Du kan inte mena allvart?)

*"Ni kan inte mena allvar", not "Du kan inte mena allvart". Proper translation is "You can't be serious"

HateNo03: What do you mean? (Hurså?)

*"Hursa", not "hurså". Proper translation is roughly "What did you say!?" or simply "What!?"

NeutralNo03: Bjuuu, must decline. (Bjööö, måste avböja.)

*"Vi", not "Bjööö" (wtf?). "We", not "Bjuuu".

Peaceful: Enjoy your victory while you can. It will not be long-lasting. (Njut om seger medan ni kan. Det kommer inte bli långvarig.)

*"Njut om seger" should be "Njut av segern"

I would describe it as "formal Swedish"

Since the demo has all the sound assets present, I can translate Casimir's lines.

Speaks modern Polish.

Intro: I, Casimir the Great, welcome you to the great/splendid Kingdom of Poland. (Ja, Kazimierz Wielki, witam cię na ziemiach wielkiego Królestwa Polskiego)
Attacked: My armies will grind you into dust! (Moje armie zetrą cię w proch!)
Declare War: I have decided to end you! (Postanowiłem z tobą skończyć!)
Defeated: Celebrate your victory well... it might be your last one. (Naciesz się swoim zwycięstwem... może być twoim ostatnim.)
Hate Hello: What are you looking for here? (Czego tu szukasz?)
Hate Hear It 1: What are you doing here? (Co tutaj robisz? - it sounds more like Hate Hello, though)
Hate Hear It 2: You again! (Znowu ty!)
Hate Hear It 3: What do you want? (Czego chcesz?)
Hate No 1: You must be joking. (Chyba żartujesz.)
Hate No 2: A hundred times no! (Po stokroć nie!)
Hate No 3: You want to mock me? (Chcesz ze mnie zadrwić?)
Hate Yes 1: So be it. (Niech będzie. -very annoyed)
Hate Yes 2: It seems I don't have a choice (Skoro nie mam wyboru... - something like "if I must")
Hate Yes 3: As you wish. (Jak sobie życzysz. - very annoyed)
Neutral Hello: I salute you. (Pozdrawiam cię.)
Neutral Hear It 1: I'm listening. (Słucham? - like an inquiring "Yes (what is it)?")
Neutral Hear It 2: Go on. / Speak on. (Mów dalej.)
Neutral Hear It 3: I'm all ears. (Zamieniam się w słuch.)
Neutral No 1: No. (Nie.)
Neutral No 2: Absolutely not. (Absolutnie nie.)
Neutral No 3: It's unacceptable. (To niedopuszczalne.)
Neutral Yes 1: Alright. (W porządku.)
Neutral Yes 2: Good. (Dobrze. - his tone here implies he's really bored and paternalising)
Neutral Yes 3: I agree. (Zgadzam się.)
Peaceful: Think twice before you disregard / underestimate Poland again. (Dobrze się zastanów, nim znów zlekceważysz Polskę.)
Request: How do you like my offer? (Jak ci się podoba moja oferta?)

For "Attacked" I think he says something like "Capis [ve ha i] vostri propositi, ma [s'ha] presto, amigo mio"
The parts under brackets are dubious and probably incorrect, the rest is 99% correct.
It should mean something like "I understand quite well your intentions, but you'll soon (pay for that), my friend." or perhaps it's "I already figured out your intentions". I can't quite tell. It seems that there's a lot of idiomatic expressions in this sentence.

On Youtube user xjudasinfinitoit who wrote that his/her mother is from Venice left the following comment:

Dice: "g'avè svelà i vostri propositi, massa presto amigo mio."

Praticamente dice: "avete svelato le vostre intenzioni, ci vediamo molto presto, amico mio."

Da notare l'accuratezza del doppiatore nel mangiarsi le L, "ridicoea" e "sveà", tipico di Venezia, in alcune province viene invece pronunciata.

Hope it helps. :)

I think the translation for Attila's defeated line is sufficiently clear (and Hunnic history nerds like me know the Defeated line reference). Thanks for pointing it out anyway though! Maybe some people did not know where those famous words came from.
Well, to my shame, I discovered it myself only recently. :blush:

On Youtube user xjudasinfinitoit who wrote that his/her mother is from Venice left the following comment:

Hope it helps. :)

That user it's me :lol:

Ok, at this point i translate all in english 'cause i posted on youtube in italian.

Venetian: "G'avè svelà i vostri propositi massa presto, amigo mio"
Italian: "Avete svelato le vostre intenzioni/propositi molto presto, amico mio"
English: "You revealed your purposes/intentions very soon, my friend."

Note: imho the actor was very good, you listen well, he "eats" all the L, typical Venetian speech.
The dark word (even for Italians) "MASSA", used in Veneto italian region, means "molto" (much), in this case "massa presto" its for "very soon".
Stil i don't have the game in my PC (4 hours to release in Italy from Steam), so i can't translate all Enrico lines, sorry.

The demo doesn't seem to have his voice files from what I can see. It'll probably take longer to download it than for the game to activate at this point.

For Isabela, there is one small mistake in her defeated line. It should be:

Defeated: Very well. This is undoubtedly the will of God. And I must accept it. (Muy bien. Estas es sin duda la voluntad de Dios. Y debo aceptarla.)

Cheers

Ok, Casimir, the Isabella and Gustavus corrections are now uploaded. When you have the game unlocked, please translate Enrico's lines for us! It's intriguing how different and similar Venetian is from Italian. :)

Anyone notice how the BNW Peaceful lines seem to correspond with the AI winning, rather than with you winning? This is a big contrast with the Peaceful lines of the original (consider Augustus' for example, which concedes that you won).

Anyone notice how the BNW Peaceful lines seem to correspond with the AI winning, rather than with you winning? This is a big contrast with the Peaceful lines of the original (consider Augustus' for example, which concedes that you won).

I think this is fun. The leaders you've just defeated seem to keep their wits together and play on, don't feel beaten and kind of plot revenge :D I think it's also a combination with the never-used Gloat lines from vanilla (like Bismarck telling you that you apparently learned your lesson).

I think that, in a perfect world, we would have at least three peaceful lines: a "I Win" peace line, a "I Lost" peace line, and a White peace line - which would be used whether you had to give them stuff for peace, they had to give stuff for peace, or no one had to give anything for peace... :p
But then again, if we start adding lines, then we'd have three different ones for request too - Trade Agreement, Friend Request and Demand... And we would have at least one line for when they come and insult you, and one if their spies were caught, and and and... :lol:

Seeing as this thread has sorta come back to life, may I add some notes and corrections for Ramkhamhaeng's lines? (Though I do believe I've posted them before a while back)

Attacked: You scoundrel! I shall prepare to fend you off. (เจ้าคนต่ำช้า เราจะเตรียมพร้อมสำหรับรับมือเจ้า) jâo′-kon′-dhàm′-chá-rao′-jà′-dhriam-práwm-sǎm′-ràp′-ráp′-meu-jâo′.
DeclareWar: You lowly, arrogant fool! I will make you regret your insolence. (lit. "your boastful words") (เจ้าคนต่ำต้อยจองหอง เราจะทำให้เจ้าเสียใจกับคำอวดดีของเจ้า) jâo′-kon′-dhàm′-dhâwy-jawng-hǎwng-rao′-jà′-tam′-hâi′-jâo′-sǐa-jai′-gàp′-kam′-ùat-dee-kǎwng-jâo′.
Defeated: Although I've lost, my honor shall forever endure. I have no other choice; I wish you [high-status 'you'] good luck. ( ถึงแม้เราจะแพ้ แต่เกียรติ์ของเราจะดำรงอยู่ตลอดไป เราไม่มีทางเลือกใดอีก ขอให้ท่านโชคดี) těung′-mǽ-rao′-jà′-pǽ-dhæ̀-giat-kǎwng-rao′-jà′-dam′-rong′-yôo-dhlàwt-bhai′-rao′-mâi′ mee-tang-lêuak-dai′-èek-kǎw-hâi′-tân-chôk-dee.
Demand: These are my conditions; will you [high-status 'you'] accept them or will you accept death?. (นี่เป็นเงื่อนไขของเราท่านจะยอมรับ หรือจะยอมตาย) nêe-bhen′-ngêuan-kǎi′-kǎwng-rao′-tân-jà′-yawm-ráp′-rěu-jà′-yawm-dhai.
HateHearIt01: You were saying? (เจ้าบอกว่า) jâo′-bàwk-wâ?
HateHearIt02: So? (แล้ว) lǽo?
HateHearIt03: Please proceed. (เชิญต่อ) chern-dhàw.
HateHello: Greetings. (สวัสดี) sà′-wàt′-dee.
HateNo01: This is unacceptable. (นี่เป็นสิ่งที่ยอมรับไม่ได้) nêe-bhen′-sìng′-têe-yawm-ráp′-mâi′-dâi′
HateNo02: You probably didn't mean that. (เจ้าคงไม่ได้หมายความเช่นนั้นจริงๆ) jâo′-kong′-mâi′-dâi′-mǎi-kwam-chên′-nán′-jing′-jing′
HateNo03: What did you say? (เจ้าพูดว่าอะไรนะ) jâo′-pôot-wâ-à′-rai′-ná′?
HateYes01: I think I must do as such. (เราคิดว่าเราต้องทำเช่นนั้น) rao′-kít′-wâ-rao′-dhâwng-tam′-chên′-nán′.
HateYes02: Very well. (ดีมาก) dee-mâk.
Intro: I Pho Khun Ramkhamhaeng, King of Siam, consider it a great honor that you have walked to visit my country of Siam. (เราพ่อขุนรามคำแหงกษัตริย์แห่งสยาม นับเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่งที่ท่านเดินมาได้เยี่ยม ประเทศสยามของเรา) rao′-pâw-kǒon′-ram-kam′-hæ̀ng-gà′-sàt′-hæ̀ng′-sà′-yam-náp′-bhen′-gìat-à′-yâng-yîng′-têe-tân-dern-ma-dâi′-yîam-bhrà′-tâyt-sà′-yam-kǎwng-rao′
NeutralHearIt01: Is that so? (อย่างนั้นหรือ) yâng-nán′-rěu?
NeutralHearIt02: You say? (เจ้าบอกว่า) jâo′-bàwk-wâ?
NeutralHearIt03: I'm listening. (เรากำลังฟังอยู่) rao′-gam′-lang′-fang′-yôo
NeutralHello: Welcome. (ยินดีต้อนรับ) yin′-dee-dhâwn-ráp′
NeutralNo01: No. (ไม่) mâi′
NeutralNo02: Certainly not. (ไม่ แน่นอน) mâi′-næ-nawn
NeutralNo03: No way. (ไม่มีทาง) mâi′-mee-tang
NeutralYes01: If that's so. (ถ้าอย่างนั้น) tâ-yàng-nán′
NeutralYes02: Of course. (แน่นอน) næ-nawn
NeutralYes03: Okay. (ตกลง) dhòk′-long′
Peaceful: You have won. But I shall return to repay this debt. (เจ้าชนะแล้ว แต่เราจะกลับมาใหม่เพื่อตอบแทนเจ้าให้สาสม) jâo′-chá′-ná′-lǽo-dhæ̀-rao′-jà′-glàp′-ma-mài′-pêua-dhàwp-tæn-jâo′-hâi′-sǎ-sǒm′
Request: Greetings. I believe this is a fair proposal for both parties. What do you [high-status 'you'] think? (สวัสดี เราเชื่อว่านี่เป็นข้อเสนอที่ยุติธรรมสำหรับท ั้งสองฝ่าย ท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร) sà′-wát′-dee-rao′-chêua-wâ-nêe-bhen′-kâw-sà′-nur-têe-yóot′-dhì′-tam′-sǎm′-ràp′-táng′-sǎwng-fài-tân-kít′-wâ-yâng-rai′

Just a few notes:

The word "เรา" is an ambiguous 1st person pronoun that can either be "we" or "I" depending on context; I've set everything to "I" since he also addresses himself as "เรา" in his intro.

The intro speech is a bit incomprehensible near the end; I personally hear "ที่" which means "at" as opposed to the currently proposed "ได้" which gives it the perfect aspect; neither makes much sense here, so either the actor or translator has messed up

Seeing as this thread has sorta come back to life, may I add some notes and corrections for Ramkhamhaeng's lines? (Though I do believe I've posted them before a while back)

Attacked: You scoundrel! I shall prepare to fend you off. (เจ้าคนต่ำช้า เราจะเตรียมพร้อมสำหรับรับมือเจ้า) jâo′-kon′-dhàm′-chá-rao′-jà′-dhriam-práwm-sǎm′-ràp′-ráp′-meu-jâo′.
DeclareWar: You lowly, arrogant fool! I will make you regret your insolence. (lit. "your boastful words") (เจ้าคนต่ำต้อยจองหอง เราจะทำให้เจ้าเสียใจกับคำอวดดีของเจ้า) jâo′-kon′-dhàm′-dhâwy-jawng-hǎwng-rao′-jà′-tam′-hâi′-jâo′-sǐa-jai′-gàp′-kam′-ùat-dee-kǎwng-jâo′.
Defeated: Although I've lost, my honor shall forever endure. I have no other choice; I wish you [high-status 'you'] good luck. ( ถึงแม้เราจะแพ้ แต่เกียรติ์ของเราจะดำรงอยู่ตลอดไป เราไม่มีทางเลือกใดอีก ขอให้ท่านโชคดี) těung′-mǽ-rao′-jà′-pǽ-dhæ̀-giat-kǎwng-rao′-jà′-dam′-rong′-yôo-dhlàwt-bhai′-rao′-mâi′ mee-tang-lêuak-dai′-èek-kǎw-hâi′-tân-chôk-dee.
Demand: These are my conditions; will you [high-status 'you'] accept them or will you accept death?. (นี่เป็นเงื่อนไขของเราท่านจะยอมรับ หรือจะยอมตาย) nêe-bhen′-ngêuan-kǎi′-kǎwng-rao′-tân-jà′-yawm-ráp′-rěu-jà′-yawm-dhai.
HateNo01: This is unacceptable. (นี่เป็นสิ่งที่ยอมรับไม่ได้) nêe-bhen′-sìng′-têe-yawm-ráp′-mâi′-dâi′
HateNo02: You probably didn't mean that. (เจ้าคงไม่ได้หมายความเช่นนั้นจริงๆ) jâo′-kong′-mâi′-dâi′-mǎi-kwam-chên′-nán′-jing′-jing′
HateYes01: I think I must do as such. (เราคิดว่าเราต้องทำเช่นนั้น) rao′-kít′-wâ-rao′-dhâwng-tam′-chên′-nán′.
Intro: I Pho Khun Ramkhamhaeng, King of Siam, consider it a great honor that you have walked to visit my country of Siam. (เราพ่อขุนรามคำแหงกษัตริย์แห่งสยาม นับเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่งที่ท่านเดินมาได้เยี่ยม ประเทศสยามของเรา) rao′-pâw-kǒon′-ram-kam′-hæ̀ng-gà′-sàt′-hæ̀ng′-sà′-yam-náp′-bhen′-gìat-à′-yâng-yîng′-têe-tân-dern-ma-dâi′-yîam-bhrà′-tâyt-sà′-yam-kǎwng-rao′
NeutralYes01: If that's so. (ถ้าอย่างนั้น) tâ-yàng-nán′
NeutralYes03: Okay. (ตกลง) dhòk′-long′
Peaceful: You have won. But I shall return to repay this debt. (เจ้าชนะแล้ว แต่เราจะกลับมาใหม่เพื่อตอบแทนเจ้าให้สาสม) jâo′-chá′-ná′-lǽo-dhæ̀-rao′-jà′-glàp′-ma-mài′-pêua-dhàwp-tæn-jâo′-hâi′-sǎ-sǒm′
Request: Greetings. I believe this is a fair proposal for both parties. What do you [high-status 'you'] think? (สวัสดี เราเชื่อว่านี่เป็นข้อเสนอที่ยุติธรรมสำหรับท ั้งสองฝ่าย ท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร) sà′-wát′-dee-rao′-chêua-wâ-nêe-bhen′-kâw-sà′-nur-têe-yóot′-dhì′-tam′-sǎm′-ràp′-táng′-sǎwng-fài-tân-kít′-wâ-yâng-rai′

Just a few notes:

The word "เรา" is an ambiguous 1st person pronoun that can either be "we" or "I" depending on context; I've set everything to "I" since he also addresses himself as "เรา" in his intro.

The intro speech is a bit incomprehensible near the end; I personally hear "ที่" which means "at" as opposed to the currently proposed "ได้" which gives it the perfect aspect; neither makes much sense here, so either the actor or translator has messed up

Ok, could you prepare a final version with corrections? That way I can copy/paste directly into the parent post without having to fiddle with everything. I am not able to navigate the script well, so all help would be appreciated. I'm glad you returned to this thread to help with further corrections. The goal here is to make the most accurate version of the translations as is possible.

And yes, Ahmad Al-Mansur speaks a form of Arabic. You can tell because one of his responses ("Mul-tob ay-rah" or something) is nearly exactly the same as what Harun says.

Of course!

Speaks Modern Thai, with a few older words; he addresses himself with the informal ambiguous 1st person pronoun "เรา" that can either be "we" or "I" depending on context. He addresses the player with either the outdated "เจ้า" or the respectful "ท่าน".

Intro: I Pho Khun Ramkhamhaeng, King of Siam, consider it a great honor that you have walked to visit my country of Siam. (The intro speech is a bit incomprehensible near the end; he could be saying "ที่" which means "at" or "ได้" which gives it the perfect aspect; neither makes grammatical sense) (เราพ่อขุนรามคำแหงกษัตริย์แห่งสยาม นับเป็นเกียรติอย่างยิ่งที่ท่านเดินมาได้เยี่ยม ประเทศสยามของเรา) rao′-pâw-kǒon′-ram-kam′-hæ̀ng-gà′-sàt′-hæ̀ng′-sà′-yam-náp′-bhen′-gìat-à′-yâng-yîng′-têe-tân-dern-ma-dâi′-yîam-bhrà′-tâyt-sà′-yam-kǎwng-rao′
NeutralYes01: In that case. (ถ้าอย่างนั้น) tâ-yàng-nán′
NeutralYes03: Agreed. (ตกลง) dhòk′-long′
Peaceful: You have won, but I shall return to repay this debt. (lit. I shall return to repay you as you deserve) (เจ้าชนะแล้ว แต่เราจะกลับมาใหม่เพื่อตอบแทนเจ้าให้สาสม) jâo′-chá′-ná′-lǽo-dhæ̀-rao′-jà′-glàp′-ma-mài′-pêua-dhàwp-tæn-jâo′-hâi′-sǎ-sǒm′
Request: Greetings. I believe this is a fair proposal for both parties. What do you [high-status 'you'] think? (He says hello before making counter-proposals as well) (สวัสดี เราเชื่อว่านี่เป็นข้อเสนอที่ยุติธรรมสำหรับทั้งสองงฝ่าย ท่านคิดว่าอย่างไร) sà′-wát′-dee-rao′-chêua-wâ-nêe-bhen′-kâw-sà′-nur-têe-yóot′-dhì′-tam′-sǎm′-ràp′-táng′-sǎwng-fài-tân-kít′-wâ-yâng-rai′

It's Javanese. One person even suggested it's an Old version of Javanese. The language used during that reign (still used today, but Bahasa Indonesian is of course the main language across Indonesia)

yes its old javanse, and little sanskrit, from vateluttu to jawa kuna(old javanese)

Top Bottom