How much does losing multiple wonders by 1 turn jeopardize your game?

Artifex1

Warlord
On higher difficulties emperor and up. How much does losing multiple wonders by 1 turn jeopardize your game?

I hear some around hear lecture that you should take the loss like a man and so forth but wondering if you take it and do not reload how many times can you take those types of hits? 2? 3? 5?

How many hammers can you keep wasting like this and win?

Depends on the wonder and the situation.

For example, there are occasional cases where the gold refund for being beat to a wonder turns out to be better than actually having completed the wonder!

Honestly, I think if you are building so many wonders that the production loss of them jeopardizes your game you're building too many in the first place. For instance, if you stopped to spend 15 turns on Hanging Gardens instead of investing in another worker and settler and now the city spot is gone and you lost the wonder a turn or two from completion, it isn't losing the wonder that's the problem...It's that you stopped at a critical expansion time when you really needed another settler. Wonders are generally best built when your capital has built a good core of surrounding cities to do the main work of the empire. In this case, no amount of losing really messes up your game. You get a little gold and you should get some of them. They are perks...nice to have, but the real focus is on growth, infrastructure, and science.

what MIGHT lose you the game is not the loss of hammers, but the fact that a runaway AI gets something that helps them even more. aka: Korea, already ahead, scores porcelain tower or hubble (never lose hubble). There a few that can really help the AI so you want to keep it from them, but honestly, most of the wonders are completely optional and you'll do fine letting the AI take them. Korea scored porcelain on me just turns from completion on my last game and I was so ticked. He soared ahead by 7 techs and got research labs first too...but I buckled down...instead emphasized gold and beat him on economy. Buying factories and other buildings first and beelining and rushing hubble... A good trick if you really don't want to lose a wonder like hubble is to have an engineer lined up. :)

I reiterate though...if you are building so many that you end up regretting every hammer spent after losing because there were so many other things you needed to do, then do the other things first and forget about wonders for a while. My two cents at least. This doesn't mean you won't get wonders or shouldn't pursue them...just that building them should never jeopardize your game. My general strategy is to expand wide and only halt my capital for a wonder after I've built a few other cities and are above population 7 or so. In this case, if I lose it...I'm okay. If I had stopped and not settled and also lost it? way worse...so don't do that.

The earlier in the game you got beat out by one turn, the worse it is.

Worst case is being beat out by the Great Library by one turn. Fail gold from that won't even cash buy a regular library.

In Civ IV where the fail gold ratio was better it was sometimes so popular pre-wealth that people would say "darn it, I actually built the wonder"; but that's not the case in Civ V.
Closest that this might come in Civ V is the one that provides 2GPT for Marble/Stone and 100 gold for a great person. Being beat out by this by one turn might give you the gold it would have taken 25 turns to get via the wonder. (Having completed the wonder would have been better but you still got something)

Depends on the wonder and the situation.

For example, there are occasional cases where the gold refund for being beat to a wonder turns out to be better than actually having completed the wonder!

Losing great library by 1 turn on turn 55. Getting 166 gold in compensation.

?

If you're getting beat by 1 turn that often then clearly you're cursed and you have limited options. Burn up some GE's and then lose by 1 and you're in hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Losing great library by 1 turn on turn 55. Getting 166 gold in compensation.

?

Then maybe you're just building too many wonders? Don't be surprised.

I remember someone (joncnunn I think) saying that immediately starting another wonder (especially an earlier one) right after getting beaten to a wonder is a great way to chain-lose wonders.

I think losing many wonders in many turns jeopardizes your whole game. You could have other civilizations building wonders like statue of Liberty while you're sailing to the other civilizations ' lands for their capital. .. losing many wonders to civilizations adds up and eventually keeps you behind.

Top Bottom