R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Damn, at 17xx files Civ gets CTD, with windows error reporting screen... Is this only me or is this Steam?
You can't use the ingame install menu, the files must be extracted manually using 7zip or winrar. To fix this (user trying the ingame menu I mean) next version will have only 7zip files extension. Will be easier to make it recognized by archive programs.

i only have nights and i couldnt find it anywhere, the only one i found was in red wwII
ok, can you try to check your game cache integrity on steam ? that message could be the result of a game that is not updated.

Gedemon you mentioned a couple of times a development forum for this scenario/mod.

Can you provide a link please?
I would like to help where I can.
yep, it's here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431344

Also the Italian P26/40 was not available until late 42, so a project in late 41 or early 42 would be good.
You're right. Added in the list with the T-34, KV-1, and Lagg-3

Also the Matilda I and II should be heavy tanks. Matilda I available at start but CV should be more like 50 and Matilda II would be like 60.
I was pondering adding an "infantry tank" type just for the Matilda II and finally decided to put it in normal "medium tank" as the unit sheet was starting to be filled with "one unit classes" (especially with the cruiser tanks). But that was upsetting me a bit, as it does not reflect it being slower and better armored than, say, Panzer III, but not "heavy" enough to be classified in the same category as Char B1 or KV-1

But okay, if I was to add an "infantry tank" and "obsolete infantry tank" class, are there other models that should switch to these classes ?

Maybe this is not a bug but units that are forced to retreat should not capture hexes. It is more then a bit annoying when they retreat and then get to capture the hex as well. Even more annoying when they retreat from a city 2 hexes and capture it.

The German AI has a fetish for light panzer II tanks. Not sure why, but they can build the PZ IV and instead build PZ II. Ok I did see one city building a PZ III one time.

Speaking of PZ II, the PZ II-L tanks was a later war variety that should be researched in Mid 43 (production started in September 1943).

Not sure how other people feel, but I am still not loving Artillery. I have two and just find they are always behind where I need them to be. Useful as defender of a city. The extra bonus shooting at infantry makes then about as good as regular infantry (except on defense) and less effective on city attacks in general.

Something needs to change on them.
First they need to cost less, more like the cost of infantry. They cost close to light bombers and I will take a bomber over artillery anytime. Maybe cost more like 250.
Second maybe either make range attack 36 (up from 32) or make them shoot 3 (bit long for the map scale, but it is a game).

I just can not bring myself to build anymore then the two I have.

Artillery is equal to light bomber and it's right.
When AI use good air coverage with fighters you'll think twice to send bombers and spend materials for repairing rather than use artillery with no damage to your unit.

And issue with bombers and fighter as well is range.
I tend to think that range should be reduced, especially for light bombers and fighters.
But I'd like to discuss current balance when all units are in game.

Artillery is equal to light bomber and it's right.
When AI use good air coverage with fighters you'll think twice to send bombers and spend materials for repairing rather than use artillery with no damage to your unit.

And issue with bombers and fighter as well is range.
I tend to think that range should be reduced, especially for light bombers and fighters.
But I'd like to discuss current balance when all units are in game.

Yes that is why I build fighters to air sweep the interceptors away. I had a nice long 4 turn fight with the USSR in a Air war for control of the sky's of Southern Russia. But I have no issue with bombing while bombers are intercepted. I do make sure to build factories and such to support my material demands due to this.

I still think Artillery are too expensive as they move slow, require 1 movement to setup and have a range of two. Instead you can build a bomber with a range of 8 or 12 that can redeploy quickly across the map and is better at fighting against both units and cities and is extremely hard to kill (stuka or faster bomber). For the same production I will take bombers any time.

The game is very well balanced atm, artillery still need a slight boost...

And submarines needs to get nerfed cause the AI can't handle them... they attack my ships but never my subs. I just hit and run until all their ships are dead... the only time they ever attacked one of my subs was when I accidently ended the turn next to an enemy city, the next turn AI used fighters to bomb it...
Don't know how to fix it but you fixed interceptors so well so I'm sure you will figure something out :D

Another way to balance difference between artillery & bombers is gold for Large and Medium Factory.
It's strange that such different buildings require equal gold.

Is there any bonus against tanks for IL-2 (it should be, that will make sense for producing this unit)? And it's very strange that IL-2 has the same strength as I-16 and it's weaker than LaGG-3.

Another question is repairing of units.
Is it possible to give this option to player? I mean player'll be able manually choose what unit should receive reinforcement... just like in vanilla CiV we give unite order to wait till full HP.
BTW it'll be more realistic if such action require AP or unit completely miss turn.

Is there any bonus against tanks for IL-2 (it should be, that will make sense for producing this unit)? And it's very strange that IL-2 has the same strength as I-16 and it's weaker than LaGG-3.

I would think the bonuses should be similar to the Stuka (+100% vs Armor, +50% vs ground) In addition remove the naval bonus, but add a 20-40% reduction to damage from interception due to the heavy armor on the aircraft. Maybe a greater CV to Stuka as well, like +5 CV compared to Stuka.

Also first deliveries started in May of 41 so a project available in late 40 would be about right for it's entry into the game.

The game is very well balanced atm, artillery still need a slight boost...

And submarines needs to get nerfed cause the AI can't handle them... they attack my ships but never my subs. I just hit and run until all their ships are dead... the only time they ever attacked one of my subs was when I accidently ended the turn next to an enemy city, the next turn AI used fighters to bomb it...
Don't know how to fix it but you fixed interceptors so well so I'm sure you will figure something out :D

I actually think they are under powered vs ships but nicely effective vs embarked units. They can not kill ships fast enough to keep up with the Deity AI's ability to buy ships. Now I was only using the 2 I built as Italy but still it takes 4-6 turns using both to sink a cruiser. Could be I had bad luck on the die rolls.

The AI needs to consider, if it has movement left on Destroyers, if it can find/see a sub. If so then it should consider attacking it. Currently the AI reaches it's destination and does not care about what is around it to attack. This is why the naval side seems passive compared to the land unit side where it is easier to see enemy units and attack them.

So I would say at this point they are good, maybe at lower difficulty levels they are more powerful in that the AI can not replace it's losses due to a lack of gold.

So I would say at this point they are good, maybe at lower difficulty levels they are more powerful in that the AI can not replace it's losses due to a lack of gold.

The benefit of the sub is the same with artillery, the AI don't fire back so you can hit and run without losing material (gaining xp on your subs and also never need to repair them, which also means no material loss).

I don't have air superiority in my game so I can't really bomb, I only use the bombers to hit embarked units, which feel kind of abusive considering a battleship do far less damage than a bomber. Not sure if this is intended or not...

The benefit of the sub is the same with artillery, the AI don't fire back so you can hit and run without losing material (gaining xp on your subs and also never need to repair them, which also means no material loss).

I don't have air superiority in my game so I can't really bomb, I only use the bombers to hit embarked units, which feel kind of abusive considering a battleship do far less damage than a bomber. Not sure if this is intended or not...

Since naval units shoot back at each other, I would suggest that the same happen when a sub makes an attack on a naval unit (non-embarked unit). This way it is a risk to the sub to engage Destroyers or Cruisers that have a bonus fighting subs. Still even hitting a capital ships will net you some damage in return. This solution is more to limit the human player as I do not think I have ever seen a AI sub attack a unit that did not start next to the sub.

What do you think of that?

You will need to build some more fighters to get air superiority. I find that the French now have double the fighters (4 instead of 2) and with England having 4 it is very hard to not get shot up by fighters. Having said that historically Germany was on par in fighters to the allies by May 1940 so I think they should get a boost to start with 4 fighters. They are still out numbered 2:1 but they can at least take down 4 interceptions, which still leaves the allies with 4 to hit bombers with.

What do you thing of that?

I was playing as Italy and on turn 19 or 20 I get a message saying 'Poland has fall !' and then the game crashes, I've played through it a few times but the same thing happens every time. This is an auto save from one turn before:
View attachment 301394

I can not load your save. Probable due to me using the Deluxe version or some DLC you have that I do not.

In my Italy game I got a similar crash but went back to a save and then Poland did not fall in July but in May instead. There was no crash then. I started a German game and finished Poland off on turn 7 with no crash as well.

You could load a earlier save and assist Germany with Poland by declaring war on Poland and sending some units or bombing Warsaw so that it falls sooner.

Since naval units shoot back at each other, I would suggest that the same happen when a sub makes an attack on a naval unit (non-embarked unit). This way it is a risk to the sub to engage Destroyers or Cruisers that have a bonus fighting subs. Still even hitting a capital ships will net you some damage in return. This solution is more to limit the human player as I do not think I have ever seen a AI sub attack a unit that did not start next to the sub.

What do you think of that?

Yeah it would solve the issue I guess, up to Gedemon though :)

You will need to build some more fighters to get air superiority. I find that the French now have double the fighters (4 instead of 2) and with England having 4 it is very hard to not get shot up by fighters. Having said that historically Germany was on par in fighters to the allies by May 1940 so I think they should get a boost to start with 4 fighters. They are still out numbered 2:1 but they can at least take down 4 interceptions, which still leaves the allies with 4 to hit bombers with.

What do you thing of that?

Don't want to invest too much into air as it's costing me too much material for repairs each turn, even the air sweep will damage your fighters badly... I'm playing as Italy though and the fighters you start with only have 30 strength.. don't get me wrong this is awesome... :D
First game I've used artillery... they are so weak so you really need to keep them behind your wall at the front though

I think i am going to get crazy with this!

I was able to install and play the first version of your mod. Then the second came. After a few turns it crashed all the time. And so on and so on. Nobody of you was able to help me. Now your latest version is here. Whats the problem now (and believe me, i´ve tried everything this time again)?
I´m checking the mod-files and just a second after the speech starts, the game is crashing!!! What is wrong here??? I´ve unistalled this game for several times, tried to installed this (...) steam and game on different harddrives, really deleted the last folder on my drive. I´ve installed the latest driver, deactived sli, deactived even my soundcard used another one. And so on and so on. Whats going on?

i had lots of crashes playing with the directx 9 version of civ5...when i started using dx11 all went well.

btw with the last version in the 1942 scenario I cannot save. When i click the game "freezes" like normal but no notification appears and when i check there is no save file :(
I love this mod but that save thing is awful...why not use the civ5 vanilla interface?

i had lots of crashes playing with the directx 9 version of civ5...when i started using dx11 all went well.

btw with the last version in the 1942 scenario I cannot save. When i click the game "freezes" like normal but no notification appears and when i check there is no save file :(
I love this mod but that save thing is awful...why not use the civ5 vanilla interface?

You certain there is no save file? I noticed I don't get the "Game saved" anymore either but it's working for me but on the -41 scenario, I'm gonna try the 42 and see if I get that error as well...

My german campaign was always crashing in the end of turn 1. After playing 40 turns in the italian side, I realized the crash was on the graphics driver. I turned details down and disabled Vertical Sync. After that, no more crashes in either campaign.

Anywho, very nice mod, i'm having a lot of fun. Too bad it inherits the ******ed AI from Civ V. The british will scatter their navy all over the place and sit idle while I pick off small groups with coordinated assaults.

Hm...
I get through my crash on turn 37 with help of some tricks.
Falls of Poland and France were good.
"History" went very funny way after that.
Insane Adolf decided to declare war to Sweden, Romania and finally to Baltic states (that was his last mistake) on December 1940. Moreover AI decided to make Sea Lion true and sent units to Britain. Copenhagen is free still.

I lent few tanks, infantry and bombers to Baltic states.
They capture Koenigsberg in spring 1941.
Breslau was taken in July. Meanwhile my forces just cross border.

I don't know how Germany suppose to go to Moscow. They are embarrassing weak! May be doubling or even tripling nazi units will change situation.

BTW, "great" AI's generals from Baltic states sent units to sea and attacked from sea ground units.

Top Bottom