Resource icon

History in the Making II: Brave New World Edition 2016-10-05

What was the reason for halving the range in ranged units, Grave? I liked the oppurtunity of fast-sacking other player's cities early on and now I have to wait for mathemetics to get a sort of decent tool. Also, archers are perfect for countering invading barbarians without getting too close and subsequently killed.

Aside from that, I still love your mod :).

What was the reason for halving the range in ranged units, Grave? I liked the oppurtunity of fast-sacking other player's cities early on and now I have to wait for mathemetics to get a sort of decent tool. Also, archers are perfect for countering invading barbarians without getting too close and subsequently killed.

Aside from that, I still love your mod :).

I didn't like how an archer could shoot 2 tiles away, but a machine gun or bazooka could not. I could have upped the range of the late era ranged units, but I thought I'd test this out first.

no way to install it, i tried the 2 "tutorial" you posted in the description but nothing. In the mod folder the folder game is empty and the .civ5mod not erased.

Unpack it manually using winRAR or 7z.

Sometimes the game is f-ed up with several mods and it cannot unpack them because of unknown reason :) Life is brutal :)

Want to say thanks for the mod. I have one comment on my first game played about one range archers and cities. I have to say its to easy to take cities with one range only. I do like the one range outside of cities though for archers. If you could make it so archers have 2 range in cities only I think that would go a long way to helping the computer defend it's cities and find a middle ground on what it is now.

First off, for people wanting to restore ranges:
This is very simple to do even if you're completely uneducated about modding, so it may be best to do it manually than rely on Grave changing his philosophy.

Go into your MODS folder and open up the folder for this mod, and then the 'XML' folder within. In that folder there is a file titled 'GlobalDefines.xml.' Right click and open it with notepad then find '<Set Value="1"/> <Where Name="CITY_ATTACK_RANGE"/>'--should be the second item listed. Change '1' to '2' and save and close the file.

Then back in the 'XML' folder, open up the Units subfolder, and open 'CIV5Units' with notepad. You will probably have to use ctrl+F to find 'Archer' 'Composite' and 'Crossbowman.' Again, change the range value to '2.'

As for Graves, I am liking this mod a lot, especially the relationships of the technology changes and the social policy changes. Am less convinced by the 'complete everything to advance era' idea; it seems to undervalue Great Scientists and Spies, but I will need to play with it more and see if I can adjust.

I've noticed a few minor bugs, though:

*Although I can build plantations at pottery, Citrus and Bananas still aren't added as resources until Calendar is unlocked (the tooltip also says the resource requires Calendar). Haven't been able to test this with all plantation resources so far.
*Hanging Gardens appeared in my build list even though I had not unlocked Tradition; didn't try to build it.
*'National Treasury' simply adds +1 Culture, wasn't sure if this was a bug or you had meant to remove the wonder completely.
*New cities appear invisible at a certain point, reloading a game fixes this (until more new cities or built); I'm not sure what the trigger for this is. They function normally.

Hope to see more from this mod, I'm impressed by both its scope and restraint! :)

Go into your MODS folder and open up the folder for this mod, and then the 'XML' folder within. In that folder there is a file titled 'GlobalDefines.xml.' Right click and open it with notepad then find '<Set Value="1"/> <Where Name="CITY_ATTACK_RANGE"/>'--should be the second item listed. Change '1' to '2' and save and close the file.

Then back in the 'XML' folder, open up the Units subfolder, and open 'CIV5Units' with notepad. You will probably have to use ctrl+F to find 'Archer' 'Composite' and 'Crossbowman.' Again, change the range value to '2.'

Thanks for the post. I'm going to change the cities only for I like the one range archers. Its to bad you can't split it up and make them 2 range in cities though its already to easy to take cities as it is.

Hey Grave!

Was a big fan of your mods for previous Civs so I will definitely have to try this one out:

I have G&K and BNW, other mods:
In-game Editor
Beyond the Future
3 Units per Tile
Citadel buff &
Caravansary improved
Extended Era Mod (which so far, I cannot get to work; Not seeing any "Historic" option in game setup Advanced Setup window "Game Pace" selection window).

Does that seem like anything would conflict?

Glad to hear of the range changes; We've never been told how many man are in a "unit" in any civ, nor how big a "tile/hex" is, but given that a city takes up one hex, I'd guess it is something like (at least 25 miles across) . . . and "archers" can shoot that far . . . yeah :p

I have not played the game very much (not even vanilla much yet) and I do not know lua. However, I may eventually take a crack at changing some things to see if a more realistic balance can be achieved with this engine.

One thing I'd investigate trying to do is to reduce "melee combat" range to zero, meaning units would need to be stacked to fight one another. Archers and all but the most advanced modern missile's too stacked to fight . . . Not sure how anything like that could be made to work, nor if the AI would 'get it,' but it would sure make it easier to suspend disbelief for me.

ADDIT: Just a headsup, I cannot locate the mod on the Steam workshop.

Top Bottom