Resource icon

History in the Making II: Brave New World Edition 2016-10-05

I don't get the Tech Tree thing... it looks great in my game, I wonder why it won't in some others? :confused: I will look into it, but one way or another, I WILL fix it by the next release (v2). :sad:

I just double checked. Removed all my mods, cleared cache, changed res to 1920x1080 (which doesn't display correctly on my TV), but still had the issue that Panda_Power posted the image of.

Great to see this MOD back!

Playing already, but the tech tree is kind of broken. Just cant see all the techs, all I see is the first page (ancient era)..theres no scrollbar.

Unfortunately, I have to join the chorus: tech tree doesn't show correctly for me, either.
I do have a couple of UI mods enabled, though: Better Interface (I think it's called) and InfoAddict.

And that is the second bug: InfoAddict doesn't work - it shows up, but doesn't seem to get the needed information for the statistics.

I am also getting a recurring bug where, whenever I conquer an AI city, I cannot give build orders in any of my cities until I reload the game - then it works fine again. I've had this exact same bug in another game (w/o your mod), though, so it may not be related to your mod at all - I can't be sure.

As to content: requiring Iron for Artillery and also for Factories makes Iron a very limiting factor in mid-game. I don't mind the Artillery requisite - stops the usual Artillery spamming - but only being able to build a couple of Factories seems strange.

Another thing, it seems Biology is still needed for Oil to work as a resource, though it shows up and can be drilled for with Railroad. Intentional?

I'm playing a game with Egipt, level 4 (usually play 5 but damn, i can't see the tech tree in a brand new mod!!!), i'm around 1840 (normal speed) and i invented "Combustion".

Some notes:

1) I can train trebuchet and artillery (instead of only artillery)
2) It's possible to discover "combusion" (and then tanks) before "radio" (and then infantry).
3) Iron for factory, is an error? I can't use coal until discover electricity (coal plants).

I'm using "city state diplomacy" mod it is compatible (for now)

Just in the spirit about what you said regarding suggestions- I really really dislike the Happiness dynamic, particularly how it discourages conquest and expansion.

I could argue about how Civ5 grotesquely exaggerates unhappiness but I don't want to create a wall o' text. Here's some things I think would be cool with reference to it.

> "______ has published his list of nations doing _____" could grant a temporary bonus to happiness to the top 10 nations.

> Great People generate 1 happiness so long as they are not used. Great Artists generate extra than others (would 5 be too much? I always found them rather lame)

> Capturing capitals/cities gives a temp bonus to happiness as your citizens cheer victory (and loosing your own capital/cities crates unhappiness ie disappointment)

> Finally, it'd be kinda cool if there was some way to integrate International Sports/Olympics...

I don't know how it could work, but it could start with Olympics (ancient/classical era buildings) and go even as far as a FIFA Cup national wonder. Just like producing wealth and research, cities with appropriate buildings, could generate points. Then every few turns the game tallies the points and the winner gets bonus to happiness, culture and gold.

I havn't played this mod yet, (still on a over max race Marathon game) so I don't know how happiness stacks on difficulty level 5, but in vanilla I often find myself pulling out my hair as my income gets decimated with building maintenance- that and unit upgrade costs are the reason CiV5 hasn't been played for a while.

Were these sort of what you had in mind in terms of suggestions?

This is a big treat seeing HiTM II after not visiting this place for a few days. Already thanks for many obsessive hours of gameplay :D.

And I just thought about something 'radical' and probably impossible: can you make having resources a prerequisite to discover a technology. I.e., if you don't work a tile with oil you cannot research combustion because you don't have any stuff to research on.

For some reason, after reaching the renaissance and researching the technology to make castles, I am unable to build walls or castles for some reason, even when I already have built walls, why?

Has something happened to the build speed of Worker units? They seem to be taking a really long time compared to everything else. With a new game a settler tends to take between 20-25 turns but a worker takes up to 50 turns :/

No, I didn't change the Worker speed at all.

I was also going to ask if it would be possible to inlcude Valkrionn's Economy mod into this or something similar? Maybe as an optional module like some that you had in HitM for Civ 4: BtS? I have come to love a lot of the changes that his economy mod has made such as making tech take much longer to acquire so you have a decent amount of time to use units of each era before they become obsolete. I feel like he addressed a lot of balance issues in the game too.

In Civ 4 BtS there wasn't much need for such an economy mod because it was pretty ideal the way it was and if you felt the need for a few tweaks you could just edit the GameSpeedInfos.xml file of your mod. In Civ 5 though I think the balance is still messed up even after a few patches. I would like to run your mod plus the economy mod as of now but it seems like they would not be very compatible. I'll continue using your mod no matter what though as I know judging from your work on the Civ 4 version it will become something spectacular in time.

I was thinking of going back to the Civ IV system of economy... using the same tile bonuses, etc.

I want to keep the "adding other mods" to HiTM2 to an absolute minimum... so if I can come up with my own system first, I'll do that.

As a relative newby, I find that I really like your version of the techs quite a bit. I agree the techs seem to fly by, especially if you get the free Great Scientist from Philosophy - and turn him into an Academy. Early in the game, that science boost is huge. Also, some of the terms seem to be off. For example, "Public School" still says that it needs a University when you're playing in the game, even though you can build it without the Univ. Also, I ran into an issue with Fertilizer being allowed to be researched... but then it wouldn't go into affect until after Military Science was completed. It seems that perhaps it should not be researechable if it can't be used. Overall, I really like where you're going with this.

I must have missed a couple Pedia tags. I'll fix them in the next verison. :goodjob:

I'm playing a game with Egipt, level 4 (usually play 5 but damn, i can't see the tech tree in a brand new mod!!!), i'm around 1840 (normal speed) and i invented "Combustion".

Some notes:

1) I can train trebuchet and artillery (instead of only artillery)
2) It's possible to discover "combusion" (and then tanks) before "radio" (and then infantry).
3) Iron for factory, is an error? I can't use coal until discover electricity (coal plants).

I'm using "city state diplomacy" mod it is compatible (for now)

I must have missed some upgrade trees. I'll fix that in the next version. It's possible to discover combustion before, radio, yes. But you can also discover radio before combustion, too. ;)

Yes, Iron for factory. I wanted a building that consumed obsolete strategic resources and that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Wonderful MOD, brings new perspective to game. Like several above, the tech tree scroll bar does not work for me.

I just double checked. Removed all my mods, cleared cache, changed res to 1920x1080 (which doesn't display correctly on my TV), but still had the issue that Panda_Power posted the image of.

Unfortunately, I have to join the chorus: tech tree doesn't show correctly for me, either.
I do have a couple of UI mods enabled, though: Better Interface (I think it's called) and InfoAddict.

If you have any UI mods enabled... try disabling them and see what happens. If that doesn't work, try doing this:

Go into \My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\History in the Making II (v 1)\Lua\TechTree and make a backup of TechTree.lua

Next, go into: \Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\UI\InGame\TechTree and copy/paste TechTree.lua into the the HiTM2 directory above, then fire up the game.

What you're doing is replacing the file I modified with the vanilla file. See if that works. The pipes will be broken and not look as pretty, but it should be functional.

Just in the spirit about what you said regarding suggestions- I really really dislike the Happiness dynamic, particularly how it discourages conquest and expansion.

I could argue about how Civ5 grotesquely exaggerates unhappiness but I don't want to create a wall o' text. Here's some things I think would be cool with reference to it.

> "______ has published his list of nations doing _____" could grant a temporary bonus to happiness to the top 10 nations.

> Great People generate 1 happiness so long as they are not used. Great Artists generate extra than others (would 5 be too much? I always found them rather lame)

> Capturing capitals/cities gives a temp bonus to happiness as your citizens cheer victory (and loosing your own capital/cities crates unhappiness ie disappointment)

> Finally, it'd be kinda cool if there was some way to integrate International Sports/Olympics...

I don't know how it could work, but it could start with Olympics (ancient/classical era buildings) and go even as far as a FIFA Cup national wonder. Just like producing wealth and research, cities with appropriate buildings, could generate points. Then every few turns the game tallies the points and the winner gets bonus to happiness, culture and gold.

I havn't played this mod yet, (still on a over max race Marathon game) so I don't know how happiness stacks on difficulty level 5, but in vanilla I often find myself pulling out my hair as my income gets decimated with building maintenance- that and unit upgrade costs are the reason CiV5 hasn't been played for a while.

Were these sort of what you had in mind in terms of suggestions?

Yeah, that's sort of what I had in mind. What I'm focusing on right now is fixing bugs and balancing what I changed in the game first... then I'll look into changing broken vanilla Civ5 game mechanics.

This is a big treat seeing HiTM II after not visiting this place for a few days. Already thanks for many obsessive hours of gameplay :D.

And I just thought about something 'radical' and probably impossible: can you make having resources a prerequisite to discover a technology. I.e., if you don't work a tile with oil you cannot research combustion because you don't have any stuff to research on.

That's beyond my meager coding capabilities! :lol:

Yes, Iron for factory. I wanted a building that consumed obsolete strategic resources and that seemed like a good idea at the time.

It's bad to see iron becoming a useless resource (likehorses). IMHO factory isn't the right building, maybe you can create a "steel plant" building that consumes iron & coal... or make more usefull the "workshop" (like a greater bonus not only for buildings) and make it consume iron .

I don't think you could do that, cause that actually been never done in any of the civ games. In Civ 4 however we did do something similar such as in Fall from Heaven, you can't research mind sapling if you have not researched and converted into Overlord religion. I don't know if we could limit it here on Civ 5 using a resource, and not only that, we need an early future tech unlock because if we hit to a point where we need to research something but nothing is available in the menu, we cannot continue our game, the game is locked to where you cannot make a turn unless you researching something and have to produce something within all your cities, I try to by-pass those but I can no longer do it.

I don't think you could do that, cause that actually been never done in any of the civ games. In Civ 4 however we did do something similar such as in Fall from Heaven, you can't research mind sapling if you have not researched and converted into Overlord religion. I don't know if we could limit it here on Civ 5 using a resource, and not only that, we need an early future tech unlock because if we hit to a point where we need to research something but nothing is available in the menu, we cannot continue our game, the game is locked to where you cannot make a turn unless you researching something and have to produce something within all your cities, I try to by-pass those but I can no longer do it.
By the time you discover oil there are plenty of other technologies to research until you build your first oil well or acquired oil on the market. So I don't think running into a deadlock because you're not researching anything will happen. It was just a brainwave I had anyhow and it would be fun and challening if it ever makes it to a game.

It's bad to see iron becoming a useless resource (likehorses). IMHO factory isn't the right building, maybe you can create a "steel plant" building that consumes iron & coal... or make more usefull the "workshop" (like a greater bonus not only for buildings) and make it consume iron .

Great idea:goodjob:, reminds me of Railroad Tycoon 3, if you got coal and iron to spare, lets built a steel plant to increase production, and then a workshop that uses steel to further increase production, so these resources remain very useful and important.

Having the tech tree not scrolling problem too.After Fertelizer I can't research anything...:(

Love the mod, only one issue that I came across though.

In vanilla civ, Coal is the currency of industrialization. It becomes available in the industrial revolution, and it determines how thoroughly your empire can industrialize. An empire that has been struggling for the entire game can get a second chance at life if it can secure coal, and a former powerhouse will be left in the dust if it cannot. It's a cool mechanic, and makes that portion of the game interesting, even occasionally provoking wars.

By making factories require Iron, that mechanic evaporates. Many AIs will have squandered all their iron on obsolete units that are still kicking around in the back country, and a cannon or two, and thus fail to industrialize normally. Any wars for Iron will already have been resolved, and coal becomes useless. It forces you to decide on factories or artillery, and gives Russia an ENORMOUS leg up through the entire game, not just the first half (2x Iron). I changed it back to coal in my own installation of your mod, but otherwise use your work as is, along with a few other mods.

Anyway, consider this a resounding vote for "Coal for factories, add a iron consuming steel plant!" Otherwise, love the mod, particularly how oil is so important. I made a mod a while back to replace most aluminum dependencies with oil, but could never figure out how to change the spawn rate of oil and aluminum deposits, since it seemed that there was a .lua file that would override any anomolies I introduced through XML. Keep up the good work!

Having the tech tree not scrolling problem too.After Fertelizer I can't research anything...:(

I'm still trying to figure out why the Tech Tree is busted. It's hard to do when it looks OK in my game, but I haven't given up. :sad:

Great idea:goodjob:, reminds me of Railroad Tycoon 3, if you got coal and iron to spare, lets built a steel plant to increase production, and then a workshop that uses steel to further increase production, so these resources remain very useful and important.

Love the mod, only one issue that I came across though.

In vanilla civ, Coal is the currency of industrialization. It becomes available in the industrial revolution, and it determines how thoroughly your empire can industrialize. An empire that has been struggling for the entire game can get a second chance at life if it can secure coal, and a former powerhouse will be left in the dust if it cannot. It's a cool mechanic, and makes that portion of the game interesting, even occasionally provoking wars.

By making factories require Iron, that mechanic evaporates. Many AIs will have squandered all their iron on obsolete units that are still kicking around in the back country, and a cannon or two, and thus fail to industrialize normally. Any wars for Iron will already have been resolved, and coal becomes useless. It forces you to decide on factories or artillery, and gives Russia an ENORMOUS leg up through the entire game, not just the first half (2x Iron). I changed it back to coal in my own installation of your mod, but otherwise use your work as is, along with a few other mods.

Anyway, consider this a resounding vote for "Coal for factories, add a iron consuming steel plant!" Otherwise, love the mod, particularly how oil is so important. I made a mod a while back to replace most aluminum dependencies with oil, but could never figure out how to change the spawn rate of oil and aluminum deposits, since it seemed that there was a .lua file that would override any anomolies I introduced through XML. Keep up the good work!

All of you have very good ideas regarding the Iron/Coal debate. I will take them into consideration for the next version. :goodjob:

I'm still trying to figure out why the Tech Tree is busted. It's hard to do when it looks OK in my game, but I haven't given up. :sad:
Could you possibly reupload your version of the mod? Also, what graphics card are you using. My g73 has an ATI 5870 and I've had some graphics issues with Civ 5.

It's not the file, I've tried switching files like your reply suggested but doesn't seem to affect anything.

If you look at the picture Panda posted, it almost appears like the ancient era is correctly aligned but then "classical era" is misaligned and with it, I imagine, is the scroll bar. Might it have something to do with the tech tree mod you bundled with it? Some changes outside the techtree.lua- in one of the art directories perhaps? (I confess I know very little about this game's modding quirks)

I continued to play anyway, and noticed there were no notifications when other nations passed technological milestones (___has reached the ____ era) which leads me to believe some triggers arn't working.

Anyways, now that I've played as far as it will let me, I'm looking for irregularities in the other directories. Nevertheless, I suspect it may also have to do with the graphics card and how it's putting everything together. Otherwise, terrific mod- I can't wait for v1.+.

I'm running the mod on a different install, and the tree shows up, though some of the ages are misaligned. The rest displays fine, but on only 1 of my 3 installs.

Hey guys, I've downloaded the mod off of this site, and put it in the correct folder.. nothing happened? I went into the game itself, downloaded this mod through the game's mod downloader, went to browse mods, and checked the enabled botton. Nothing changed when I played the game? I have no other mods running. Thats all I did, did I forget to do something? And did I use the right single player?

(there is single player itself, and then another single player optoin in the Mod's menu right above "browse mods") help please?

PS- I have downloaded another mod (adds the Marine unit) also no effect :(

I'm not behind a PC with Civ5 installed so I can't look for you what's the proper naming but make sure you start a game via the Mods route and not the default route.

It may also be worth re-checking if the mod is still enabled.

Top Bottom