Faerun

This has become my new obsession. I had promised myself that I'd get to over 1000 hours logged in Steam for Civ V before the new year, and this mod is very much responsible for making that happen.

Only one problem - I just played through my first successful game after one just for learning, and I can't get Mystra to pop. I had about 14,000 Weave when I finally won on turn 397 from a Good-aligned victory instead. I had my army ready for Mystra to come try to murder us all around turn 300 and she just never showed.

Just a few turns afterward came the List of Most Spells Known (whatever it's actually called) and it showed that I was way on top of the standings, so Mystra couldn't possibly have been busy elsewhere. I have a couple of screenshots, but the save file is 2.25 MB and so I can't upload it through the forum.

Don't want this to sound like a complaint by any stretch, btw! I have just seen a couple of other people talking about this when I was googling for a solution, and I figure there has to be something that I did wrong. I was super excited to win by usurping a Goddess, and ending it with the bribing of a couple of city states was a little anti-climactic.

Attachments

• 2015-12-27_00001.jpg
    2015-12-27_00001.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 339
Just a few turns afterward came the List of Most Spells Known (whatever it's actually called) and it showed that I was way on top of the standings, so Mystra couldn't possibly have been busy elsewhere.

This is an issue related to a major bug with saved games that has been present since last June.

Updating to v.14 will solve this issue for NEW games, but not old ones. Sorry!

Glad you enjoyed the mod.

Updating to v.14 will not break saved games. However, the fixes to saved data will not take effect until a new game is created.

• Bugfix: Saved data issue resolved.
  • Bugfix: Several AoE spells better used by AI.
  • Bugfix: For quests that must be completed while embarked.
  • Balance: Barbarians less overwhelming.
  • Balance: May only build 4 Jail type buildings.

Is there documentation somewhere about this mod? The in-game Wikipedia entries aren't terribly detailed.... and they're missing entirely for many individual items. (e.g. most units I encountered don't have an entry.)

Specifically, I was looking for information about:
* The races and their effects. I gather that each race type opens up a branch of upgrades, but the race types seemed to have very different & non-standardized effects on different base unit types.
* A description of how the religion system works.
* I assume this mod has some sort of Faerun-specific implementation of the ideologies, right? If so... how are they activated & how do they work?
* If you select all random civs, does the game naturally give you roughly equal numbers of good, neutral, and evil civs? Or is it entirely possible for you to play a good civ, and all the other civs are evil or neutral? (i.e. You start the game with practically zero chance of having friendly civs in the game.)
* If I'm playing a good civ, are both neutral & evil civs naturally hostile to me? Or is just evil hostile, while neutral is indifferent? (i.e. The neutral civs follow the "standard" diplomatic actions of the base game.) Similarly, if I play a neutral civ, are good & evil both hostile, or are they both indifferent?
* What are the units? The in-game Wikipedia lists the base types, but almost all the units I encounter in-game have already been upgraded to something non-recognizable. (e.g. driders, centaurs, etc.) Also, the barbarians are completely alien to me.
* What kinds of promotions can the units get? I'm not so much asking "Which promotions can I select as I level up", although that would be handy. Rather, in-game I encountered units with a *bunch* of promotions, and I'd like to see what special abilities/hindrances they had. (I'm sure a bunch of those "promotions" were traits they had upon creation.) If Civ 5 had a way of inspecting enemy units' promotions, that would be good enough to learn as I play. But Civ 5 doesn't let players do that. (As far as I know.)
* How are the victory types achieved? The Victory Progress menu gives me a vague idea what's involved, but I was wondering if they're explicitly spelled out somewhere. (e.g. What's the Mystra requirement for the Magic victory type all about?)
* Is the population of your largest city (presumably your capital) the way you "tech' in Faerun?
* "Druids" are mentioned in a couple places. What are they? How do I get them?
* How can I get my troops the embarkation ability?

Hi, the problem with the reduction of the purchase cost to 0 is still there.

In my current game, as Baldur´s Gate with the evil alignment, I can build a jail, baillick and a debtors prison in every city. I started the new game with the v.14 Update. It seems, that the reduction to build only 4 of those buildings doesn´t work.

First I would like to praise you, FramedArchitect, for making such a great framework for a mod. However, there are numerous problems. I will just list some of the ones I have found.

1. Some units don't show up in the game world as sprites. Just the round unit icon. EDIT: Chessentan Flame Rider is one such unit.
2. I recieved hero quests requiring me to cross continents, cross borders with a civ with no open borders, and to access ocean tiles, effectively rendering these quests impossible to finish, which is just irritating.
3. Spies are not well incorporated: there are no techs to steal, so they can't level up. Their only use seems to be to rig elections, which means only evil civs can enhance their use. Numerous refrences to techs and research still exists in the game (external trade routs mentions this).
4. Extremely distant civs "covet my lands" even though there are vast open areas in between.
5. Health seems to be poorly implemented. I noticed no benefit of having positive health. Also, there are many more ways of lovering the health of cities, meaning it is almost hopeless trying to fight health issues. Maybe make positive health buildings more potent?
6. Randomly spawning boss monsters are WAY too tough. In one game I met a dragon with a strenght of 46 or 48. I managed to beat it down to 9 hp by using three heroes and being lucky it attacked an opponent's troops. Then it just chugged a Healing Potion and got +62 hp, AND attacked one of my heroes IN THE SAME TURN! I had to retreat. Luckily this dragon was immobile. Another game I met an Ogre with a strength of 33. This dude was NOT immobile, and just slaughered my units in one hit. This is turn 40 by the way. Make these monsters less potent! How am I supposed to deal with these? This is game breaking.
7. How can I get information about what the icons of enemies mean? If I hover over an enemy unit, I can see all the little icons representing abilities, but I have no idea what they mean, and I can't hover over them, since they only show up when hovering over the enemy...
8. The pedia is not very clear on some things. I wanted to know, for example, which buildings affects the Apple resource. So I looked at Apple in the pedia, but it does not refer to any buildings. Many such issues exist, not least the problem of units only showing up in their basic, unupgraded form. Since all units in the game world ARE upgraded, this is not helping at all.

Please respond with your thougths on these issues?

Another day, another victory condition that seemed to be bugged for me. Frankly, I just wanted to win in every possible way, so I'm not that worried about the Neutral victory in the first place. But having to manage workers and plant a continent's worth of forest was a pretty interesting concept, and I was hoping to get a win screen out of it.

Hope that bug reports are of use rather than a bother, and again, I can't thank you enough for correcting the previous bug that let me get myself a magic victory.

Attachments

• 2016-01-18_00002.jpg
    2016-01-18_00002.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 2016-01-18_00003.jpg
    2016-01-18_00003.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 244
  • 2016-01-18_00004.jpg
    2016-01-18_00004.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 264
Great mod.
As mentioned on steam, the AI can get very cold feet if you are doing well in war(with their "allies") and offer the store for peace though you are no where near them. I haven't seen the zero and positive gold purchase bug in a while, but it basically trashes the game if it's still there.

In reference to some above comments... Health is fine. You need to battle it actively for a Good victory or whenever you need growth, and without that obstacle it would be too easy. The monster's are fine, they just take some experience... a bad dragon spawn is annoying, but hey it's a tough world, and if you have the leisure to go dragonslaying it is not only possible, but worthwhile. An early Ogre is a pain, but just get the hell out of the way and let him mug your city... later on they are manageable. Things could be better documented, but I won't complain about that... it's fun and you learn as you play.

I play on immortal now, emperor being too easy.... the AI has no clue how to utilize heroes.
The AI really doesn't know how to win this mod, but I believe that's what the turn limits are for... I can't see them ever winning except if they accidentally spawn Mystra and actually manage to kill her...

But my only real complaint is the Underdark tiles on random maps. Combine with crashes on (save/restart) and it's a real pain in the ass. I assume this is because of the huge map with underdark? A Pangea map that has a side island or two will have one landmass of normal tiles and the rest are underdark. It's very annoying. Personally I won't be playing the underdark scenario(again) because huge games just take forever... a small underdark scenario would be fun, but I guess all this tile swapping must get complicated? The tiles look cool, don't get me wrong, just not in the middle of an ocean.

Having a bit of trouble with 'spell costs again'

Last time it was with the dark elves, this time with (????? the ones who get +2 culture per city when at peace). During my game, any time I reload the cost for new spell school rolls back a level, very similar to the original problem.

Not sure but both civ's, have some sort of peace mechanic, so could be related. I have checked with a few other civ's and no problems.

Edit: Also noticed that the flame rider unit is invisible (graphics).

I'm in the same boat as Plumfairy who's a few posts back, I could really use a manual or guide of some sort for this mod. I'm very confused by the whole thing basically. In addition to what Plumfairy mentioned:

I'd like to know more about what number limits there are on various types of heroes you can have.
What do spell books do exactly?
How do I go about getting charters?

Any information or other tips would be much appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as Plumfairy who's a few posts back, I could really use a manual or guide of some sort for this mod. I very confused by the whole thing basically. In addition to what Plumfairy mentioned:

I'd like to know more about what number limits there are on various types of heroes you can have.
How do I go about getting charters?

Any information or other tips would be much appreciated.

1. Hero's 3 (unless you are the civ that can have four). The faith menu good/neutral/bad is where you gain the ability to get more.

2. They generally open up spells for wizard/cleric type units. They can also help with growth on pasture, defensive promotions etc-read the tooltips they are pretty good.

3. A few ways. You can trade for them, some mission with hero's grant them. Main way is certain building give you more (check building tech tree, cannot remember off hand).

Hope this helps.

Is there documentation somewhere about this mod? The in-game Wikipedia entries aren't terribly detailed.... and they're missing entirely for many individual items. (e.g. most units I encountered don't have an entry.)
I admit there is a learnign curve, but it seems to me there is plenty of documentation in game--over 16,000 lines of text at this point. I'd much rather spend time working on the mod itself rather than produce a manual.

* The races and their effects. I gather that each race type opens up a branch of upgrades, but the race types seemed to have very different & non-standardized effects on different base unit types.
Check the pedia under Promotions like "Human Trait" or "Orc Trait" to see racial attributes.
* A description of how the religion system works.
Follow the pedia link provided in the start up screen.
* I assume this mod has some sort of Faerun-specific implementation of the ideologies, right? If so... how are they activated & how do they work?
Called alignments, with beliefs fueled by Divine Favor. Again, follow the pedia link provided in the start up screen.
* If you select all random civs, does the game naturally give you roughly equal numbers of good, neutral, and evil civs?
Most civs have a choice of alignment (done by random roll), but yes it's possible given the game setup that all civs will choose the same alignment.
* If I'm playing a good civ, are both neutral & evil civs naturally hostile to me?
Yes. Though good/evil have increased diplo hits.
* What are the units?
You'll just have to play the game to see all the units and what abilities they have, though again refer to the pedia promotions for details.
The Victory Progress menu gives me a vague idea what's involved, but I was wondering if they're explicitly spelled out somewhere.
The victory menu is actually very specific. As to the Mystra victory condition, you'll just have to play to see what's involved!
* Is the population of your largest city (presumably your capital) the way you "tech' in Faerun?
Yes.
* "Druids" are mentioned in a couple places. What are they? How do I get them?
A melee spellcaster hero. Requires adopting a belief in the Neutral alignment.
* How can I get my troops the embarkation ability?
Reach level II in your capital. Build the Sailor's Union to allow ocean embarkation.

1. Some units don't show up in the game world as sprites. Just the round unit icon. EDIT: Chessentan Flame Rider is one such unit.
That's because I haven't uploaded v.5 of the Art Assets yet. I'm waiting until I get all the necessary art together required for both the base mod and Sword Coast adventure. Shouldn't be much longer. Note that future versions will include a few new city graphics for a few race specific civs (elves, dwarves, orcs).
2. I recieved hero quests requiring me to cross continents, cross borders with a civ with no open borders, and to access ocean tiles, effectively rendering these quests impossible to finish, which is just irritating.
I did fix the issue with ocean go to plots, but as to the others, I just don't think its possible to figure out if a player will be able to reach a certain plot within the alloted time, particularly as hostile civs can buy tiles or settle cities that will get in your way.
3. Spies are not well incorporated: there are no techs to steal, so they can't level up. Their only use seems to be to rig elections, which means only evil civs can enhance their use. Numerous refrences to techs and research still exists in the game (external trade routs mentions this).
Placing spies in enemy cities also has a chance to begin a plague in that city and grants extended vision on that city. Rigging elections is actually very useful.
4. Extremely distant civs "covet my lands" even though there are vast open areas in between.
I dunno what I can do about that....
5. Health seems to be poorly implemented. I noticed no benefit of having positive health. Also, there are many more ways of lovering the health of cities, meaning it is almost hopeless trying to fight health issues. Maybe make positive health buildings more potent?
See the pedia help sections on Health for details. Simply, positive health adds to city food stores, negative health reduces city food stores. It's a growth mechanism. And there are many ways of increasing health, mostly by choosing a good settle site with health resources, by upgrading the health buildings, and by choosing the Neutral alignment. I am generally able to run positive health for my cities, especially in late game.
6. Randomly spawning boss monsters are WAY too tough.
Really only in the first 100 turns; after than they become increasingly easy to take down, to the point where you will like having them spawn near you. The Ogre is slow and doesn't generally attack cities, only units and improvements.
7. How can I get information about what the icons of enemies mean?
I think you mean the promotions? You can check out the details in the pedia. There will be a notification when a spellcaster casts a spell in your vision.
8. The pedia is not very clear on some things. I wanted to know, for example, which buildings affects the Apple resource.
I think the best place to see this is in the Building Upgrades screen. I recommend looking over that closely before beginning a game.

Having a bit of trouble with 'spell costs again'
Just tested this with Drow and Halruaa and didn't see any change in the spell or belief costs upon loading from a saved game. I'll keep an eye on it.

The above answer may not be clear, because there are really two references to "spell books" in game.

First is the unit panel "Spellbook" icon that opens the spell-casting menu for heroes, arcanists and clerics. I don't think you were referring to that.

Second is the resource "Spellbooks" which is required to train arcanist units. Spellbook resources are generated when you build Arcane Libraries in your cities. See the Building Upgrades screen for more info.

Thanks very much for answering all those questions FramedArchitect, and thanks even more for making the mod. I've been playing it quite a bit since I posted my questions a few days ago so I have it a bit more of it figured out but your answers helped clear things up even more. I've been having lots of fun playing it. Thanks again!

I seldom do this but I actually registered just to thank FramedArchitect for this excellent mod which has given so much new life to Civ 5. I clocked around 800 hours in Civ 5, started getting bored and then found Faerun. For an old Forgotten Realms consumer and a massive Civ fan like me, this stuff is just golden. Thank you for all the work and I hope you'll keep supporting the mod. It's definately one of the top 3 Civ 5 mods I've played, and the best fantasy mod without doubt.

This has probably been asked but would it be possible to make dragons (and other flying units) enter/exit the Underdark?

A duergar city in the Underdark would also be really cool, namely Gracklstugh. Could just make it a dwarf city state. Of course I don't know if you've already "filled the map" so to speak and want to focus on other aspects. With the duergar being a major Underdark race, this was just something I thought might fit in nicely while roaming the dark below. :)

I have problem with population on my 1st city.. till 2 people this raising normal and when i get 2 people its stop for much of time (there is counting to get new people but it reseting every turn eg I have 23 turns to get new people and in next turn i have agian 23 turns.. other city's have 3-5 people my 2.. im playing in king mode) Where is problem?

Hello!

I'm just getting into this mod and can't wrap my head around what to use to take over cities. All units seem to do only minimal damage to them and can't see anything obvious for it. Anyone that can help?

Thanks!

Some tips on taking cities:

1) You can build two siege engines (catapults, cannon) with the trebuchet maker building. Cannon are better as they have a range of 3, so, terrain permitting, they can hit a city without taking returning fire. You need the gnome race available for cannon, which you can get either by playing the gnomes, allying with a free gnomish city (e.g. the Svirfneblin in Underdark), or by taking the relevant path in the Illusion school.

2) Regular archers en masse can whittle a city down, but will likely get hammered by returning fire. This can be avoided if the archer can move out of range after firing (goblins can do this, as can units under the effect of a particular cleric spell (bless? can't remember off hand).

3) Use archers behind an intervening obstacle (mountain, hill etc.) under the effect of the cleric spell Blessed Sight (diviniation school). This allows them to fire indirectly, so while the city itself could fire back, units in that city could not (unless, of course, they are also under the effects of Blessed Sight).

4) There are various spells particularly in the evocation and necromancy schools that will quickly dispose of or drastically weaken defending units. I think meteor shower damages the city's hit points too. However, remember wizards are pretty weak so watch out for retaliation. Be prepared for some of your pointy hats to get toasted.

5) Bring clerics with spells like restoration and mass cure to keep your forces on their feet (and the aforementioned bless and blessed sight).

6) Put any gnomish unit next to your attackers - they give a buff to city attacks. Personally I like the lightning conductor, or whatever the gnomsih swordsman is called, because they can cast chain lightning which is nice for softening up the defenders.

7) Use your heroes - ranged units in particular (rangers, rogues, wizards) can do some serious damage when they have some promotions (e.g. get a wizard up to drill/shock 3, then two shots with logisitics, and city attacker, and those walls will tumble very fast).

8) Have reinforcements on the way before you need them. And you WILL need them. :)

Top Bottom