GOTM 159

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
As mentioned before, this month we are playing a WW2 scenario to commemorate the 75th anniversary of world war 2.

The scenario we are playing is the one that shipped with the game. You should all have it. I tried to enclose it for the sake of completeness but got an error due to unrecognized file type. The problem can likely be revised but it is not worth delaying this posting. If any player lacks the scenario please say so in this thread.

Unlike the previous GOTM, you can play this scenario in the classic as well. Furthermore, this one has no new buildings, or units, or wonders, ... There is no learning curve. Still, if you are not familiar with this scenario or generally with scenarios you are allowed to play a few turns aimlessly to get the feel of it.

World War 2 Scenario, 45 turns
Playing as allies at Deity level

The game will start with Axis and then move in the usual order. Typically Axis takes at least Amsterdam and Paris on the first turn and wipes out allied forces on mainland Europe. There is nothing you can do about this. When allies turn comes up you will get a notice that Belfast cannot support all its units and one will get disbanded. This must have been an oversight on the part of the designers. Again you cannot do anything about this.

Victory conditions:
Gold, silver, and bronze go to players who wipe out Axis fastest or get closest to it (measured in number of Axis objectives left) by the last turn. Green star goes to the player who achieves Axis decisive defeat first (Axis reduced to 6 objectives). Blue star goes to the player with the most objectives at their final turn. In case of a tie in any of the above, the player with more cities wins.

Rivals
Russian: 31 cities, 63 techs, Communist, 26 objectives;
Turk: 5 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 2 objectives;
Axis: 22 cities, 66 techs, Republic, 16 objectives; Marco, Michelangelo, Copernicus, Leo, Bach; War with Allies, Neutrals, and French
Spanish: 9 cities, 61 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Magellan;
Neutral: 4 cities, 57 techs, Monarchy, 3 objectives; Allied with Allies, war with Axis
Allies: 16 cities, 69 techs, Democracy, 16 objectives; Pyramids, Lighthouse, Great Library, King Richard, Shakespeare, Newton, Adam Smith, Darwin, Liberty, Suffrage, Hoover dam; Allied with Neutrals and French, war with Axis
French: 12 cities, 64 techs, Democracy, 4 objectives; Eiffel; Allied with Allies, war with Axis

Parameters
- No tech upon city capture
- No revolution (Command is grayed out). (However if you were playing Axis, upon acquiring Democracy you may change government subject to the usual rules.)
- No senate interference
- No pollution
- Apollo, SETI, UN, Cure are not available. Manhattan is.
- There are 70 objectives; wonders are objectives
- Axis Decisive/Marginal Victory is 54/32
- Axis Decisive/Marginal Defeat is 6/16

Deadline: Jan 5, 2015

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM159.jpg
    GOTM159.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 418
I had to play this one ! I have gotten interested in WW2 lately from TV series such as "World at War" and "Band of Brothers" and from books such as "Unbroken" and "The Gathering Storm" - by Churchill himself. All of these are excellent. The scenario seems good too, and I will try to start a spoiler soon about that.

Q: Does "wipe out" the Axis mean "no more cities" (as opposed to "no more objectives") ?

Also, if successful in that, I suppose you need just 2 saves ... on decisive victory and then on the wipe out.

Q: Does "wipe out" the Axis mean "no more cities" (as opposed to "no more objectives") ?
Good point. It means zero objectives for Axis. Of course, the tie breaker for all medals is the number of cities, so you may want to take a little extra time and take all their cities.
Also, if successful in that, I suppose you need just 2 saves ... on decisive victory and then on the wipe out.
Correct. Decisive victory and final save.

Thanks for the clarifications. When you have time, I sent you a PM to follow up on this a bit, without posting spoiler info.

Top Bottom