Favorite game settings? Wat es they?

Large map
Standard speed
Deity only
Usually Continents because I don't like map bias to make certain civs too weak or too strong.
Standard # of civs/cs, random civs.

So I have played every civ and map type, have untold thousands of hours in ciV, and have all the achievement wingdings I can stand.

My fellow civfanatics, what is your go-to game setup when you are playing to have fun? Specifically, what civ, map, and special settings do you use? For example, inca highlands map with abundant resources or England archipelago on epic (to increase the amount of time your sotls are good).

Please share with me your favorite setup when you are looking forward to a fun game.

There's a thread just like this on the lower half of the front page. I didn't respond to that one though, so I'll respond here.

Favorite setup is probably large pangea with 15 civs, 15 CS, strategic balance, raging barbs, random civ, science/dom only victory conditions allowed, difficulty set to immortal. You can put it on epic speed to really draw out the war eras. I like the constant warfare, but I also like having the choice to hunker down and go for a science win if the micro-management of a million cities starts to wear on me.

I like the vanilla stuff a lot. Standard standard continents.

Some games I like to double the number of city states. Other games, raging barbs.
I like building scenarios (that usually favor me). Add all militaristic civs, then add 2 more civs to the game to ensure there is a lot of fighting and isn't a lot of space. Then run Always War(edit the XML 0->1 for it). Or remove 2 civs and add all REXers like netherlands for a quick speed Always Peace territory buildup race.

When playing single player, I use promotion saving and policy saving sometimes - because although I prefer them on, I try not to get used to them since I do play some multiplayer. Quick combat is a must at this point, as much as it sold me initially when first starting out in the series, they aren't short animations.

I would play larger maps as they are easily my favorite, but the turn times have made this prohibitively slow. Turn times start impeding the fun factor on anything past a small map on my CPU:/ imo the gameplay plays best at large/epic in terms of military obsolescence vs. military movement rate, but with turn timers in excess of 30 seconds starting in medieval, you'll spend hours waiting every game. It's brutal.

The smart AI mod (v.2) has really livened up my games lately. I love having an AI that can move and shoot. Makes raging barbs mean something more.

Immortal or Diety depending on what kind of game I want. I occasionally play epic speed but I'm not the quickest player so really need to stick to standard, which is too bad as Diety I'd easier on Epic because of human combat advantage.

I play fewer squirrely maps these days, but one map that hasn't been mentioned is Terra, which I like. Pangea, Fractal, and Continents mostly. Always turn Diplo off, as it's a cheesy way to win in my eyes.

Top Bottom