FfH 2 Manual

So it does... So it does....

Manual is in semi-hiatus for the moment because I managed to lose my entire color scheme somehow. I just loaded it up to work on the Promotions some more and maybe 10% of the text was still colored that should have been.

So I re-worked my color scheme a little bit and I am in the process of re-coloring all of the links. This time ONLY links will be colored. Previously I was coloring everything which would normally be linked, or be a target of a link. (So the header for each entry in the Units & other sections, as well as each mention of a Civilization on their own page and other such potential self-links).

But sadly re-coloring over 10,000 entries is a long, tedious process. And I am essentially attending 2 Universities this semester and they have Finals Weeks on different weeks. So I have 2 weeks of intensive Study & Pain to get through atm.

EDIT: Just checked the first post: I didn't do a No-Color version of 1.84. Though It would have been quite easy to do given the glitch which occured. The posted 1.83 No-Color is the last of the No-Colors which will be available, as all of the new colors SHOULD print nicely enough (or just not be used often). Click on the big text at the top of the post for the colored text version.

hey, I still have the 1.84 colored version, maybe I can send that to you? that should really help :) If there haven't been too many changes since.

I still have the PDF version myself, but I am creating the Manual in Open Office, then exporting it to PDF format. Granted, I haven't made any attempts to open the PDF form as an editable Open Office document... could work.

EDIT: Gave it a try and it sure doesn't work :) Though there might be a program somewhere which would be capable of doing it for me (all the data SHOULD still be there for the proper layout. At least mostly).

I'm already up to the Hippus though on the re-color, so it won't be long till I finish the Civilizations, and they are really the biggest pain of the whole thing.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to bookmark the file (my actual bookmarks is rather cluttered, so I'd rather keep it in context like with my forum account). I guess I'll subscribe to this thread for the meantime, though.

Great work! My only problem is with the spelling errors that pop up throughout the document, but I'm sure those will be corrected when the manual is finished.

Page 1-10

p. 2:
Goverment
Niki's-Knight

p. 3:
Judeo-Chrsitian mystism
Edgar Allen Poe
players state religion
there is game deep enough (depth?)

p. 4
worlds
acconpaniment

p.5:
Capitol

p. 7:
Capitol

p.9:
preparation for future war
for any foolish enough

EDIT: 11-20
p. 11:
posses

p.12:
Capitol

p. 15:
Capitol

p. 17:
comperable

p.18:
Capitol

:lol: I'll take it as authorization to bring some more later today.

As for Niki(')s, if it's like that, well... shame, forum, shame! :)

New version posted with the Typos fixed and the new color-scheme. I've placed a background on the manual again, it is non-printing as before, but less harmful to the eyes I hope.

Considering removing the borders from all the tables... could help it look better, but could also just be a huge mess to look at that way... Any thoughts? Or too hard to envision without a sample?

Very sharp, I love the new cannot build format without all the stat blocks.

That new paper-like background texture really makes a difference. Grats on that.

Unfortunately, the grey tone used for the background civilization colors are still way too dark, so reading what's over them is almost impossible in most cases.

Seeing that you're still fixing things, would it be possible to make those logos brighter to make reading easier? In my opinion, the grey tone shouldn't be darker than the one from the Doviello (or the Ashen Veil). The ideal tone would be something a bit lighter than that. That seems to be the limit of darkness where the black text used normally can still be read without too much hassle. Or, now that you use the paper-like texture, you could use something brownish (and brighter) instead of grey.

Considering removing the borders from all the tables... could help it look better, but could also just be a huge mess to look at that way... Any thoughts? Or too hard to envision without a sample?
Hmm... I think the borders are good so far. Removing them could definitely contribute to increase the confussion. Maybe a possible approach could be coloring the border to something lighter than black, so they're less obvious but still visible.

Could you be any more specific about which Civilizations/Religions give your problems? I can see that the Bannor might be bad, but if I lighten up the Kuriotates or Balseraphs any more they start to disappear IMO. While the Ljosalfar is so thin that it doesn't seem to matter if I place it at full black even.

Well, I'm referring all those darker than the two examples I mentioned. Ljosalfar would fit in those examples also. For me the gray intensity in the rest make the text over it almost unreadable. Anyway, I know this might be a monitor calibration issue. Yours gamma or brightness might be higher than mine, or mine too low. Monitors are pretty picky and usually too different, even with same settings. For instance, my external TFT monitor, sharing the same settings, display the greys a bit brighter than in my laptop. Probably others commenting on the issue would help to considerate if it's single user problem or others are also having it. If I'm the only with the problem you can surely forget about any fix.

Just one thing I noticed. I was assuming the logo of each civ was already in the header of their section, but I see it's not like that. So I understand now when you express concern about the logos in the background not being visible. Until now I just assumed it was a decorative device. Maybe placing the logos in the header description area of each civ would alliviate some pressure on the visibility of the background ones. I mean, that way not being too visible (so, without interfering with the main black text) wouldn't be an issue.

Well, they aren't NEEDED at all. Just a nice little bit for people who flip to random pages and try reading, or leave it open for a while and forget what they are looking at when they return (ya know.. people like me who can look for their keys for an hour only to find that they were holding them in the other hand all this time...).

I'll lighten a few of them for the next release and see how it goes. If any particular ones bug you though, feel free to mention them and I'll give them special treatment.

Top Bottom