R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Not a single word in Pedia for Barracks entry talks about that you need this damn building to build any infantry. How do the new users suppose to guess about this essential fact? :shake:

Hi Gedemon,

I'm playing the version currently on Steam (check my time stamp), and, incomplete as it is, it's a beautiful mod. Well, clunky too, but that's how WWII is. I like it stripped-down as it is. I haven't lurked this thread nearly as much as I should, but to add my feedback into a few things, in no particular order:

1) Fall of France also does not work for me. I'm playing with that settings off for now. Would there be any way to simulate Vichy France without the scripted event? Perhaps, after Paris is captured, there's a change of relations so that peace can be negotiated in vanilla diplomacy? Although, I do like being able to take all of Poland, and not needing to split it with Russia.

2) I may be doing something wrong, but I'm having a hard time as Germany blitzing into France. It looks a lot like WWI right now. My first game I accidentally broke the "sitzkrieg" early: moved a unit into the Rhineland in preparation and AI interpreted it as go-time. I promptly lost the air war, French troops dug in behind the river by Strasbourg, and with historical play mode I wasn't allowed to declare war on Belgium early, so I couldn't loop around. Second game (after learning more of the rules) went a little better, but I'm in October, only just pushing the line past Strasbourg, still some see-sawing south of Belgium, when France was supposed to be taken July. The second game I waited for France to make the first move. The main issue is the way the rivers run between Germany, Belgium and Netherlands, I can only get just enough across to take the cities; after that, France has fortified the line south of it with those damn infantry tanks. Maybe I'm investing my resources wrong, but there's no time to build up heavier tanks. I can't dive-bomb them because Britain controls the sky (historically, Churchill didn't think the RAF was ready to fully commit that soon). Should I be running a material deficit while going for the quick knock-out? Anyone have strategies that doesn't turn into trench-fighting?

3) Italy doesn't know how to use its navy. Battleships uselessly bombarding Greek units, with no land units to follow up, and its submarines elsewhere aren't fleeing from the British/French ships. Britain could use some pointers too: I brought a German navy, ~5 submarines, 3 battleships, 1 cruiser, 3 destroyers, north to support the Norway invasion. The British navy could blow me out of the water; instead, they hang out around the Channel, in the Baltic, and occasionally go north to hunt my convoys. When I try to sink one of them, they always disengage to chase the convoy. Never seen them try to surround one of my ships unless it was a submarine. Also: Italy doesn't know how to combine howitzers and infantry in the African theater.

4) Please do not add Great Generals: The player is the General. Good strategy should be implemented on the hexes, not as a buff.

5) I like the classes of aircraft. Don't over-specialize them. I think it reflects the reality of how the war went. People are used to Civ5 fighter/bombers specializations, made partly out of necessity and partly because Civ5 likes to hand out "special abilities" a lot. Truth is, there was a lot of experimenting on how to use air power, and how to gain a competitive edge.

6) Maybe buff the ship-to-ship combat? Just keeping in mind that one unit, for the most part, does indeed represent one really big ship. I want to give them a chance to escape, but does it seem real that it would take several months for two ships firing side-by-side to sink each other?

Main thing to improve are just balancing tweaks, and, as always, AI.

Is there any way to stop the automatic declarations of war? I would love to play out this scenario without being forced into real world timelines, one of the funnest parts of Civ is making your own history and this takes that aspect out of it. I love to explore questions like what would have happened if Russia and Germany remained allies, I would also like to make it a marathon in terms of length of game. Great work overall tho and thanks for any help that can be offered!!!

Top Bottom