JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

Thanks for the reply darkpanda. I actually have no means to capture the screen image at the moment. Also, it will only show about 50 of the instances on screen, after that it just says '46 further instances...'

I downloaded the latest version on page 1, unzipped it with Winzip. I put the editor into the Civ1 folder so I didn't have to bother redirecting it, checked all the files were there. And I started it by clicking on the jcived.bat file.

I'm going to format and fresh install XP on the PC, then I'll try it again. I'm sure it's probably something to do with it being an ancient 2007 laptop (I only use it to play games, and use a modern Mac for everything else).

Thanks for the reply darkpanda. I actually have no means to capture the screen image at the moment. Also, it will only show about 50 of the instances on screen, after that it just says '46 further instances...'

I downloaded the latest version on page 1, unzipped it with Winzip. I put the editor into the Civ1 folder so I didn't have to bother redirecting it, checked all the files were there. And I started it by clicking on the jcived.bat file.

I'm going to format and fresh install XP on the PC, then I'll try it again. I'm sure it's probably something to do with it being an ancient 2007 laptop (I only use it to play games, and use a modern Mac for everything else).

Hi simonnomis,

A native means to capture the screen could be:
- Press "Print Screen" key on your keyboard, then open MSPaint (Start > Run... > 'mspaint' > Enter) and do "Edit > Paste" (or simply CTRL+V)

Or you can also copy the console window content:
- Right-click on the Console window's top-left corner icon, and do "Edit > Select all", then when all the window contents are selected, right-click again on the top-left corner and do "Edit > Copy" (or simply press Enter)

Hope this helps you!

I think that formatting and reinstalling XP sounds a bit overkilling if it's just for resolving this issue :) but it's up to you, really.

Cheers

Just dropping a quick word to notify that JCivED is now a project at sourceforge.net: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcived

The latest release and some screenshots are available over there, and soon will the source code be checked in as well.

This will also be the hosting solution for wiki-style details about SVE, PIC and anything JCivED-related...

Cheers

Simonomis: I found the issue...

It's actually a very stupid bug, simply because I almost only use the French version of Civ, and didn't try the last release on the EN version.
I will fix it and release a patched JCivED ASAP - nothing wrong with your XP!

Can't resist sharing a screenshot of the upcoming version of JCivED (v0.0.9a) with integrated Civ fonts to render the city names (not done for city size yet, though):

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP_256.gif
    CIVIL0.MAP_256.gif
    212.9 KB · Views: 735
Few issues:

1. What license does this application have I did not find one anywhere?
2. 0.0.9a version zip package seems to be corrupted as it's only 14.1 kB size and version 0.0.8a2 is 419.0 kB.
and it did not extract here.

version 0.0.8a2 seems to start at my Gentoo Linux X86 just fine but I have not tested it more than that...
so keep up the good work.

1. What license does this application have I did not find one anywhere?

There's no license, you can consider it Public Domain.

2. 0.0.9a version zip package seems to be corrupted as it's only 14.1 kB size and version 0.0.8a2 is 419.0 kB.
and it did not extract here.

You're right, I have updated the link of source forge right away...

Thanks a lot for the heads-up ! :)

If anyone is interested, here is a sneak peek into the Fonts support feature in upcoming JCivED v0.0.10a!

Note: I don't plan on making the fonts' glyphs faces editable in JCivED directly: font support will essentially be to allow back-and-forth conversion between native FONTS.CV file format and user-editable font image files... But that should be more than enough for any modder out there ! :)

Attachments

• Snap1.png
    Snap1.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Just a query: have you managed to figure out how to allow AI players to recognise and utilise any terrain changes that are made/designed?

Just a query: have you managed to figure out how to allow AI players to recognise and utilise any terrain changes that are made/designed?

There's good news and bad news :) And then kind of good news again.

Good news first: yes, of course, I figured out (a long time ago already) that AI players will use terrain based on the land values. As a matter of fact, this was figured out by others before me (Dack especially), but I'm not taking the time, right now, to excavate the thread where they talked about it (probably the Terraform thread).

The land value is a value computed for each map square, by CIV, upon generating a map when starting a new game. This computed value is either 0 (land not usable to build a city), or any value in the range 8-15 (land usable to build a city).

This value never changes after the game is started, even if the player alters terrain using settlers (deforestation, swamp-draining, etc.).

In a CIV savegame, the land values are stored in the .MAP file. There are actually 2 sets of land values in the .MAP file:
  • First set is the initial land values, as computed by CIV at the beginning of the game
  • Second set is the initial land values masked by cities' influence area; my guess is that this is the set that AI players are using in-game to actually build cities, to avoid building their cities to close to each other, but this has to be confirmed

The 2 sets I am talking about can be easily seen when opening a .MAP file as a PIC image in JCivED, just as shown below:

Now, for the bad news: I didn't figure out how CIV computed those land values. Actually, I tried to understand, by creating some plain Earth maps and analyzing what CIV did of them, but there was a random factor that I couldn't figure out yet...

So, sadly enough, as of version 0.0.9a JCivED cannot compute those values for you as CIV would do.

The first final kind-of good news is that with JCivED 0.0.9a you can actually manually edit those values:
  • in the Map layers drop-down list, select Land values: the land values will appear as an overlay on the actual map as below:
  • then select one the values next to the Map layers; this will act as a brush to paint the Land values layer:
  • You can then modify the land values: as shown below, I modified 3 terrain that had value 0 (previously forests or swamps converted to plains by my settlers) and set their value to 14:

Of course, when designing a full map, this is very tedious... So here's teh second kind-of good news: a tricky workaround to get CIV to compute those values for you:
  • First, design your map terrain as you wish in JCivED, by editing an existing savegame
  • Then, export your map as an Earth map (MAP.PIC format):
  • Next, replace your original CIV's MAP.PIC with the one you just created (don't forget to backup your original file !!)
  • Next, start up CIV and start an EARTH game
  • Select any difficulty and Civ to start the game, and skip 1 turn so you can actually save your game
  • Voila! CIV has computed all the land values for your custom map, and those values are available in your savegame's .MAP file
  • Finally, simply replace your custom scenario's .MAP file with the one generated by CIV (only the .MAP file, not the .SVE, if you want to avoid dealing with cities, units, etc. !!)

Notes about this workaround:
- I didn't test it myself, so there may be issues... For example, I foresee that if your original custom map has only ocean squares matching the hard-coded CIV starting positions, there could be an issue with all settlers starting in the water, and you may not be able to skip 1 turn in order to save your game...
- From my experience, the special resources will affect the land values; since special resources are controlled by the game's random seed, and the random seed in defined by CIV when starting a new EARTH game, this may differ from your original custom map's random seed, and thus the land values will not be exactly accurate... But it should be good enough for the AI players to work nicely, and if you want to be perfectly accurate, just replace your custom savegame's random seed with the one generated by CIV

Hope this will help, until CIV's algorithm is actually deciphered !

Attachments

• land_values.png
    land_values.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 659
  • land_values_modified.png
    land_values_modified.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 624
  • land_values_selected.png
    land_values_selected.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 731
  • land_values_select.png
    land_values_select.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 693
Woohoooooo AT LAST 20 years after, a complete editor !

Now I've tested it very fast (well, after I updated everything on my comp just to launch it :blush:), and my only question is :

Is there any way to design a map or rebuild the classic world map and start the "earth" games with it ? I'd so like to change the things once and for all...
I understand I can roll an earth map, rebuild it, then play it, eventually define which civilzation I am with an editor, but then I'm stuck with the same stuff forever.

Well, maybe there is and I didn't figure yet, but, hey, it's a forum and I shall read everything I can ;)

Anyway, thx thx thx thx thx thx ! :D

Is there any way to design a map or rebuild the classic world map and start the "earth" games with it ? I'd so like to change the things once and for all...
I understand I can roll an earth map, rebuild it, then play it, eventually define which civilzation I am with an editor, but then I'm stuck with the same stuff forever.

Well, maybe there is and I didn't figure yet, but, hey, it's a forum and I shall read everything I can ;)

Indeed, if you read the post just prior to yours, you will see that when editing a savegame, you can always export your savegame's .MAP as a an EARTH-compliant file (originally MAP.PIC)...
You can see where the menu is for that, just below:

Just rename your output file "MAP.PIC" and put it under your CIV directory, and Civ will use it.

Anyway, thx thx thx thx thx thx ! :D

You're welcome :) Always glad to generate such enthusiasm... But to be honest, TerraForm was there for a long time already...

Attachments

• save_as_EARTH.png
    save_as_EARTH.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 753
Just noticed - JCivED-0.0.9a.zip filesize is 640kB (as shown in Firefox)

Hence:

JCivED - or mod cIv on 640k a day!

:D:cool::goodjob:

Aha! Indeed, a happy coincidence...

It is true I am trying to keep the JAR as small as possible, though, and that's one of the reason it does not depend on any third-party JARs... A so-called "Pure Java" program.

Just a quick word to notify of the release of JCivED 0.0.10a!

As from 0.0.9a onwards, JCivEDs source code is publicly available on SourceForge, consider it as Public Domain.

Release notes and download link at the top of this thread.

For the short story: I wanted to wait for a major feature to be implemented before releasing 0.0.10a, namely the "land value" algorithm... However, its inner workings are still a mystery to me, and I am afraid I will not be able to put more work on JCivED for quite some time, so I decided to deliver the up-to-date development version...

Enjoy !

Top Bottom