The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this dream of someday laughing at the OPEC nations when the industrial nations of the world no longer need oil. What about you guys? What instances of geopolitical schadenfreude do you wish to partake in?

Laughing at those in the industrial nations dreaming of the day when oil caeses to be the most economical choice to do anything.

I know right? It's not like any of their scientists are working on plug-in cars, alternative fertilizers, natural plastics, and other energy advances. Certainly not. Not one unit of currency to fund such ridiculous research.

They'll be pretty close to entirely out of oil before we stop importing it.

Except oil fields don't just suddenly run out of oil. There is going to be a lot of increasing costs as they seek to obtain the last drop. Increasing costs makes alternatives much more viable.

Oil fields do have diminishing returns. There is a point to any of them when it becomes uneconomical to keep the field open and producing. But the world will still be importing oil as that takes place. Even though costs will go up, the value of the end product remains high. And so use will continue. Even as we substitute other energy sources for oil, oil is just so much better for many tasks, not all of them fuel, that it will continue to be a valuable commodity.

And can you show that the alternatives aren't getting any cheaper and feasible?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised. Certainly with that attitude of resignation.

The fact that it is subsidized says nothing of the changes in the unit cost of such technologies.

The fact that it is subsidized says nothing of the changes in the unit cost of such technologies.

It doesn't tell you about the future costs, no. But then you can't really predict which techs will mature. The US Air Force is pushing synthetic fuels. Among other groups. And will probably be subsidizing it for a good many years into the future.

What are the answers of other countries to America's John Browning and Russia's Mikhail Kalashnikov?

Well, he invented a type of it.

The Minie ball, France?

Edit: guh - Claude Etienne Minié would follow the correct format.

Because it's a serial thread. As far as I know, serial threads don't get red diamonds.

As I understand it serial threads are moderated in a slightly more relaxed manner re spam but have their post count deleted when they are archived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom