The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, lab chemistry isn't my specialty. What I do know is that the study that triggered most of the HFCS vs cane sugar comparisons was preliminary and subsequently modified by the same research body upon the full results. Ultimate conclusion was that you are not going to get any statistically significant difference in health detritus switching between the two.

For effects in the body you were correct. After passing through many enzymes, the result is essentially the same. But at the mouth, there hasn't been enough homogenization of the end products.

I guess in regards to teeth and processed sweeteners the assumption is that there is regular brushing or health maintenance performed. If you drink cola, cane or hfcs, and don't wash the residue off your teeth, hfcs would be more quickly damaging by what you describe but they would both still be remarkably bad for your dentistry. If you aren't going to brush regularly, I guess I would recommend diet colas if you have to have them, but the acid isn't any good for your teeth either, and brand spanking new studies suggest they aren't effective at all in preventing weight gain.

I guess what I haven't seen is any dental articles suggesting that one or the other is better/worse, leading me to believe at first glance the functional difference is small enough that it is eclipsed entirely by hygiene.

Sometimes when searching for a certain term ("Heartbreakers"), I notice it being used a lot in sports articles. What does it mean in the context?

It means your team lost in a dramatic fashion.

You may not really get anywhere by contacting the newspaper, but if you do, I'd contact the appropriate section editor; they'll refer it off to a nearby intern or assistant. I'm going to assume it's a Petty article, which probably means it originally appeared on the Arts page in the Features section.

Without sounding condescending, does anything in your life not involve that dratted band, Aimee?

Yeah. I don't talk about those as often though.

Is there any reason wireless Internet service would shut down regularly in the evening in Venice?

So not a Venice-specific problem then?

No. But possibly if they were doing WiFi for the whole city, it would effect them worse than most other places. Not that I am certain that that is the problem. But it would be a reasonable hypothesis. I have wired DSL, and 6-9PM my connection speeds suck.

What makes it inherently inappropriate? I can think of a number of situations where it would be appropriate and a number of situations where it wouldn't.

Well if you're polygamist you have more mothers-in-laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom