The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlutonianEmpire, where do you feel the pain? There's one specific pain that is felt where the lowest ribs join, it's very sharp, and I've mistook it to being hit with a sharp object. (This one is also dangerless, I think).

Well I'm 5'8" and only weigh 98 pounds, and I never put on weight even though I eat like twice the amount of everyone in my family and only exercise as much as I have to (I walk for about 30 minutes five days a week to get to school).

I was rewatching some episodes of David Mitchell's soapbox when he mentioned that in a joke that the Welsh had "agreed to devolution out of politeness". I had a look at the 1997 Welsh Referendum and was surprise to see that it succeeded only by 7000 votes. It made me wonder, why was devolution so unpopular in 1997 for the Welsh?

By modern American standards, was President Andrew Jackson a conservative?

Insofar as that's a meaningful question at all, it's still probably no. He might be considered closer to modern conservatives than modern liberals, but it's most likely modern Americans would consider Jackson and most politicians with vastly different views from past eras as some third-ideology fringe that's neither liberal nor conservative. Unless you're trying to imply that racism or slaveholding or whatever are inherently part of a certain modern ideology you really can't claim the positions of such historical figures would match current social and economic political positions.

PlutonianEmpire, where do you feel the pain? There's one specific pain that is felt where the lowest ribs join, it's very sharp, and I've mistook it to being hit with a sharp object. (This one is also dangerless, I think).
Isn't that where the heart generally is? But yes, that's where the pain tends to be, although the pain isn't as bad as you described it.

Isn't that where the heart generally is? But yes, that's where the pain tends to be, although the pain isn't as bad as you described it.

Heart is on the left side. And it isn't like being hit hard. It's more like a little sharp poke. As far as I know heart pain usually radiates, and can be felt in left arm for example, but it's better to ask doctor about these things anyway.

I have been reading up on budget cuts lately and there is something I don't understand.

If you government spending by 1% of GDP GDP will go down 1% however this effect disappears after a year. Does this really apply when the cuts is borrowed money? I can see that if government cut 1% and lowered taxes 1% GDP would be constant. But if 1% cuts is made and this means 1% less is borrowed shouldn't GDP go down 1% and stay that way?

Portuguese.

I don't know the gentilic noun for a Portuguese person. :)

I have been reading up on budget cuts lately and there is something I don't understand.

If you government spending by 1% of GDP GDP will go down 1% however this effect disappears after a year. Does this really apply when the cuts is borrowed money? I can see that if government cut 1% and lowered taxes 1% GDP would be constant. But if 1% cuts is made and this means 1% less is borrowed shouldn't GDP go down 1% and stay that way?

It's really a lot more complicated than that. So simplified examples aren't going to take you very far.

If we keep hearing that our children are going to be the ones paying for our failure to balance the budget, why has no one pointed out that we are the children who are paying when the same question was asked 40 years ago?

I believe the reason would be that if we are still borrowing to pay the bills then no, we aren't paying for it. We are kicking the boomers' as well as our own cans down the road. As I see it phrased. Which really isn't an adequate analogy.

Why do Americans drink all ther alcohol from red paper cups?

Why are the English so bloody ignorant? ;)

Why do Americans drink all ther alcohol from red paper cups?

We do? <scratches head> Was this seen at parties that tend to get rowdy? Paper cups are inexpensive and difficult to injure somebody with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom