Windows X64 - Not for Itanium Pentiums?

CruddyLeper

Unworshipped Deity
You can now download a 120 day trial version of Windows XP64.

It is not a beta.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

However, "Important: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium-based systems.".

For those who bought a 64 bit Pentium... oops.

Zelig said:
Itaniums aren't the 64-bit pentiums... they're server chips, and have been available in 64 bit for years.

This will work fine with pentium 4 and extreme editions with 64 bit extensions.

I'm going to try it (not the trial though, I should be able to get myself a full copy) next weekend on my Athlon 64 rig.
Yeah I am thinking of buying it from Newegg once they have the drivers worked out. :)

Zelig said:
Itaniums aren't the 64-bit pentiums... they're server chips, and have been available in 64 bit for years.

This will work fine with pentium 4 and extreme editions with 64 bit extensions.

I'm going to try it (not the trial though, I should be able to get myself a full copy) next weekend on my Athlon 64 rig.

I've noticed some motherboard sites offering beta 64 bit versions of their chipset drivers.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try it without at least those.

Zelig said:
Yeah, you need 64 bit drivers for all your hardware, 32 bit drivers won't work at all.

Drivers more then anything else IMO is the one thing that will hold 64bit computing back from widespread adaption for now. :(

MarineCorps said:
Drivers more then anything else IMO is the one thing that will hold 64bit computing back from widespread adaption for now. :(

Well, people not buying 64 bit systems is another.

"Buy now! Play next year (maybe)" is hardly a marketing triumph.

Top Bottom