Decaying resources mod comp

TheLopez

Deity
I've had the decaying resources mod comp on my list for a while and I need some help from the community. Given the base turn amount for a normal game (500 turns?), what should be the lifespan (in number of turns) for each of the standard bonuses in the game (-1 means infinite):

Aluminum - 100
Coal - 250 (with a .005 replenish rate)
Copper - 100
Horse - 100 ( with a .5 replenish rate)
Iron - 100
Marble - 150
Oil - 100
Stone - 250
Uranium - 50
Banana - -1
Clam - 100 ( with a .25 replenish rate)
Corn - -1
Cow - 100 ( with a .5 replenish rate)
Crab - 100 ( with a .25 replenish rate)
Deer - 100 ( with a .25 replenish rate)
Fish - 100 ( with a .25 replenish rate)
Pig - 100 ( with a .5 replenish rate)
Rice - -1
Sheep - 100 ( with a .5 replenish rate)
Wheat - -1
Dye - -1
Fur - 100 ( with a .25 replenish rate)
Gems - 150
Gold - 250
Incense - -1
Ivory - 100 ( with a .1 replenish rate)
Silk - -1
Silver - 250
Spices - -1
Sugar - -1
Wine - -1
Whale - 100 ( with a .1 replenish rate)

It is my opinion that grown things like wheat, rice, corn, dye, incense, spices, sugar, wine, banana, etc. should not have a lifespan since they are "crops" but everything else is fair game.

In future versions I might add a feature to "hurry up" the gathering of bonuses at a cost of incrementing the decay rate of the bonus. And for other bonuses I will add a replenish amount to simulate the growth of the bonus, this would be for "wild" bonuses like deer, crab, fish, whale, etc.

What do you guys think?

I guess I am getting ahead of myself... did anyone implement decaying resources while I was gone?

Added my best swag at decay and replenish rates... what do you guys think?

I have it in my mod, in the SDK already.

Edit:

It uses XML tags in CvBonusInfos, along with how much the player is using the resource to determine when the resource should deplete. The more units/buildings the player that use or require that resource, the higher chance of depletion there is - scaled for world size and the total number of resources of that type.

It is? Where? I did a search in the forum and couldn't find anything about decaying resources or bonuses

I never released it - but it's pretty easy to get out if you want it. There's no official thread on it either.

Edit:

It is in my mod description:

Resource Depletion

Resource Depletion allows for heavily used non-renewable resources to deplete from the the game. Each turn, the game measure how much you are using a resource, and based on your usage, the chance of depletion changes. As you rely more and more on a particular resource, the odds of it depleting increase.

In Addition to this, mines without any resource also have a small chance of depleting. When a mine depletes, no mines can be built on top of the tile ever again. While this will rarely happen in the early game, by the late game, players will be forced to re-adjust their strategies if they relied too heavily on mines for their production.

To balance this, Players with Resource Depletion installed will also have an increased chance of discovering resources.

I never released it - but it's pretty easy to get out if you want it. There's no official thread on it either.

Edit:

It is in my mod description:
Thanks. I'll look at your implementation and see if it lines up with what I was thinking.

The concept itself may sound interesting, but is imho not funny.
You do not really want to lose anything, and you'll just reload when your only iron/oil/uranium/whatever vanishes.

Not funny or fun :) I agree it would require a bit more planning but it also provides a bit more realism of fishing out a fishery or killing off a herd of deer.

Edit:

It uses XML tags in CvBonusInfos, along with how much the player is using the resource to determine when the resource should deplete. The more units/buildings the player that use or require that resource, the higher chance of depletion there is - scaled for world size and the total number of resources of that type.

Shouldn't the decay rate also be dependent on the speed of the game?

Top Bottom