Codefreak5's Fire Emblem Civilizations

It's actually a fairly common issue with Steam downloads -- for some reason, the game doesn't always unpack the .civ5mod file. Fortunately, it's usually just a matter of finding where the .civ5mod file ended up and unpacking it with 7zip or the like.
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that. I'm glad that I didn't make a mistake uploading the mod or anything.

An easy fix is to include a "Direct Download" link that leads to a page where someone can download the .civ5mod file and manually install it with 7zip. All it does is eliminate the "finding where the file ended up" step, so it's not necessary, but it does make things a tad easier for the lazier subscribers. xD

An easy fix is to include a "Direct Download" link that leads to a page where someone can download the .civ5mod file and manually install it with 7zip. All it does is eliminate the "finding where the file ended up" step, so it's not necessary, but it does make things a tad easier for the lazier subscribers. xD
I'd been planning to upload the mods elsewhere and include a link to them soon.
And I just did! So, that's another thing done.

I finally got around testing Plegia. Before I talk about the mod itself I should mention that it didn’t unpack itself for me either. I also have only tried the BNW version.

Grima’s Truth: This ability looks interesting on paper since is seems to be pretty effective and fast way of spreading player’s religion while saving faith. Unfortunately it seems to be bugged right now: when I captured enemy cities they didn’t convert to my religion. I also tried it with other mods disabled to prevent any kind of conflicts, but this didn’t solve the problem.

Dark Mage: I was pleasantly surprised by this unit. Moving it to Theology really speeds up the construction of this unit and allows player to go on offence that much faster. Giving this unit increased ranged attack strength but making its defense weak also emphasizes the need to protect it with melee units.

However, right now this unit is pretty much inferior to regular Crossbow in 1vs1 combat since it gets badly outdamaged thanks to its low defense, even if it gets the first strike. You could perhaps consider giving this unit free Cover promotion since player can’t really protect his Dark Mages against his opponent’s ranged units. With enemy melee units the lowered defense works well since player can protect Dark Mage against them.

Right now this unit heals only 25 HP when it kills an enemy, unlike 50 like the unit description states.

I also am little puzzled why you made this unit upgrade into Rifleman. This seems unnecessary alteration since now this unit’s role completely changes when it is upgraded. All ranged damage increasing promotions are also made useless since this unit changes types when upgraded.

Dragons Table: The extra faith from this building is pretty nice bonus for middle and late game. It really can’t help player to find religion since it comes too late for that, but the extra faith is really useful later when buying religious buildings and units. Also, since player wants to build this UB in every city anyway, it combos really well with “+2:c5happy: from Temples”-belief.

The extra food this building provides, however, is pretty unnoticeable since faith is normally spend pretty fast, unless player is saving his faith for Great People later in the game. It is, nonetheless, a nice bonus on an even otherwise strong building.

Conclusion: UA is interesting but bugged. UU is strong but needs some help with enemy ranged units and has strange upgrade line. UB has pretty strong mid-to-late game boost.

Overall, good job:). Hopefully you are able to fix the UA.

I finally got around testing Plegia. Before I talk about the mod itself I should mention that it didn’t unpack itself for me either. I also have only tried the BNW version.
It's odd about the unpacking errors. This is the third time it's happened to the mod, and I'm beginning to doubt it's a random Steam error.

Grima’s Truth: This ability looks interesting on paper since is seems to be pretty effective and fast way of spreading player’s religion while saving faith. Unfortunately it seems to be bugged right now: when I captured enemy cities they didn’t convert to my religion. I also tried it with other mods disabled to prevent any kind of conflicts, but this didn’t solve the problem.
I tested it before release, and I thought it was working well. I'll have to go back and fix this. Thank you for telling me this.

Dark Mage: I was pleasantly surprised by this unit. Moving it to Theology really speeds up the construction of this unit and allows player to go on offence that much faster. Giving this unit increased ranged attack strength but making its defense weak also emphasizes the need to protect it with melee units.

However, right now this unit is pretty much inferior to regular Crossbow in 1vs1 combat since it gets badly outdamaged thanks to its low defense, even if it gets the first strike. You could perhaps consider giving this unit free Cover promotion since player can’t really protect his Dark Mages against his opponent’s ranged units. With enemy melee units the lowered defense works well since player can protect Dark Mage against them.

Right now this unit heals only 25 HP when it kills an enemy, unlike 50 like the unit description states.

I also am little puzzled why you made this unit upgrade into Rifleman. This seems unnecessary alteration since now this unit’s role completely changes when it is upgraded. All ranged damage increasing promotions are also made useless since this unit changes types when upgraded.
I didn't consider any gameplay or balance issues when creating this unit - this is a large reason why it has all the problems you've pointed out. I'm relatively new to modding; I'm unfamiliar with the things I have to account for here.
Apologies.
I will fix the healing after kill, and make other adjustments (combat strength, different promotion, different unit replacement) as well.

Dragons Table: The extra faith from this building is pretty nice bonus for middle and late game. It really can’t help player to find religion since it comes too late for that, but the extra faith is really useful later when buying religious buildings and units. Also, since player wants to build this UB in every city anyway, it combos really well with “+2:c5happy: from Temples”-belief.

The extra food this building provides, however, is pretty unnoticeable since faith is normally spend pretty fast, unless player is saving his faith for Great People later in the game. It is, nonetheless, a nice bonus on an even otherwise strong building.
I may tweak the bonus food output based on this feedback. The main reason this exists is flavor - again, I haven't learned how to balance things for gameplay purposes.

Conclusion: UA is interesting but bugged. UU is strong but needs some help with enemy ranged units and has strange upgrade line. UB has pretty strong mid-to-late game boost.

Overall, good job:). Hopefully you are able to fix the UA.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll get right on addressing the issues you pointed out.

It's odd about the unpacking errors. This is the third time it's happened to the mod, and I'm beginning to doubt it's a random Steam error.

Trust me, it is a random Steam error. It's just that it happens extremely often. Personally, the mods I subscribe to will only unpack properly maybe one-fifth of the time. I often find that if a mod doesn't include a direct download link, I simply can't install it.

Trust me, it is a random Steam error. It's just that it happens extremely often. Personally, the mods I subscribe to will only unpack properly maybe one-fifth of the time. I often find that if a mod doesn't include a direct download link, I simply can't install it.

If you say so. The reason I'm so worried is that I've never heard of this happening before, and as far as I can remember, it's never happened to me.
I do have a direct download link, so this shouldn't be a very big problem anymore.
Thanks.

If you say so. The reason I'm so worried is that I've never heard of this happening before, and as far as I can remember, it's never happened to me.
I do have a direct download link, so this shouldn't be a very big problem anymore.
Thanks.

I've had it happen to me a fair number of times -- I'd subscribe to a mod, but then it would never seem to download, so I'd have to track down a copy from a direct download link... or would notice that, one day, it magically appeared in my mods folder.

I think DarkScythe once suggested to me that it can happen if you navigate away from the mods selection window while it's in the process of downloading -- it may be that if you do so, it interrupts the download process, or at least doesn't send the signal to unpack the mod. Recently, I've been more attentive about watching the download bars after subscribing to a mod and only navigating away after I see them appear in the downloads window, and have been able to avoid any issues, so I do wonder if this is the case.

Also, make sure your mod's title does not include any characters which are illegal for use in Windows folders -- this causes issues with automatic mod unpacking.

The did include a single forward slash, which is illegal for use in Windows folders. I've removed it from the title, so hopefully there aren't any more unpacking problems.

Thanks for the information!

So, a caught kind of a large oversight that I made regarding the Dark Mage.
The Crossbowman, which the DM replaces, upgrades to Rifleman in Vanilla, and Gatling Gun in Gods & Kings and Brave New World. However, the DM was upgrading to Rifleman in both versions of Plegia. This is because I only looked at the Vanilla Units file for info on the Crossbowman, which I was using as a template for the DM. As a result, the G&K and BNW version had a screwed-up upgrade path. Whoops.
I fixed that today, and gave it a one-point buff to physical combat strength. It can also be purchased with Faith in the G&K/BNW version now.
Lesson learned: always check unit info for all versions of the game.

I'd like to start working on Ferox soon. It will obviously have a military focus, and it will be led by at least one of the Khans from the game. The UB could be Arena Ferox or the Longfort, and the UU will be a melee unit from the Ancient to Medieval eras. The UA will either help with an aspect of militarism, or reference the dueling Khans from the game. If we start pitching ideas, we can get this started, and finished, quicker than Plegia.

I'd like to start working on Ferox soon. It will obviously have a military focus, and it will be led by at least one of the Khans from the game. The UB could be Arena Ferox or the Longfort, and the UU will be a melee unit from the Ancient to Medieval eras. The UA will either help with an aspect of militarism, or reference the dueling Khans from the game. If we start pitching ideas, we can get this started, and finished, quicker than Plegia.

I am SO on board with this. Let's go go go go go!
I'll notify PMF, so we can have all three of us Fire Emblem modders at work here. Anyway, brainstorming for the uniques:

----------------------------------------------------------

Leader - Basilio or Flavia, duh. But wait! Maybe both? That might result in some very fun-to-write diplo lines.

UU - Barbarian/Warrior/Brawler/Berserker? Some big, strong Feroxian unit that reeks of pure, undiluted power. We could even make it boring on purpose. Flat +5/10/15 to whatever the combat strength is of the unit is replaces. Sheer power. Pfft, or whatever. I'm sure you lua people have some better ideas out there. xD

UB - I think we're unanimously agreed on Feroxi Arenas. But what of its actual effect? We could even make them like traditional FE areas, and give units exp for being stationed in cities that have them. I mention it because I already have the lua for it.

UI - Nah. And I don't mean the manakete.

UA - We'd have to mess with the UI, and the lua would be rather difficult, but we might be able to have something where, every 50 turns or so, you can pick whether you want to the East Khan or the West Khan to rule. Each Khan could have a different ability (maybe one is offensive, one is defensive, or one is economical and one is industrial), and the list could change over time. I tall order, I know, but cool (and similar to the Maya's UA).

It's time to tip the scales!
(I'm cheesy. So, so cheesy. I know.)

I am SO on board with this. Let's go go go go go!
I'll notify PMF, so we can have all three of us Fire Emblem modders at work here.
I like your enthusiasm! Hopefully PMF's on board too, so we can make this as good as possible.

Leader - Basilio or Flavia, duh. But wait! Maybe both? That might result in some very fun-to-write diplo lines.
I think we should try having both if it's possible, whether it be both at once (which could be confusing) or switching between the two every so often (which could be difficult to make).

UU - Barbarian/Warrior/Brawler/Berserker? Some big, strong Feroxian unit that reeks of pure, undiluted power. We could even make it boring on purpose. Flat +5/10/15 to whatever the combat strength is of the unit is replaces. Sheer power. Pfft, or whatever. I'm sure you lua people have some better ideas out there. xD
Sounds good to me. I'm not really a lua person - I just know basic code structure and have taken everything else from the Modiki - so I don't have any better ideas for uniqueness. Yet. I'll get to thinking on what could be done.

UB - I think we're unanimously agreed on Feroxi Arenas. But what of its actual effect? We could even make them like traditional FE areas, and give units exp for being stationed in cities that have them. I mention it because I already have the lua for it.
They'll likely be a Colosseum replacement, so it should retain the Happiness boost. Then, it should give a military bonus of some kind - exp for units stationed in cities that have one, perhaps. Though there should be some sort of cut-off for that, so you can't just train all your units up by having them wait in a city for a bunch of turns.

UI - Nah. And I don't mean the manakete.
I agree.

UA - We'd have to mess with the UI, and the lua would be rather difficult, but we might be able to have something where, every 50 turns or so, you can pick whether you want to the East Khan or the West Khan to rule. Each Khan could have a different ability (maybe one is offensive, one is defensive, or one is economical and one is industrial), and the list could change over time. I tall order, I know, but cool (and similar to the Maya's UA).
It's cool, and a way to incorporate both Khans and the power-shifting thing they do, but also pretty difficult, and I don't know how the AI would handle a thing like that. I'm not discounting it yet, though - it's still cool and can work right if we put the right work into it.

It's time to tip the scales!
(I'm cheesy. So, so cheesy. I know.)
I've always liked cheesy.

There also needs to be a national symbol, and colors. Since there aren't any that I remember, we'll probably have to make them up ourselves. City names will be easy, though there aren't a lot of named Feroxi characters to use for spies - only four, not counting the Khans. We'll make progress if we bounce ideas around, though.

For the alpha/icon, I could always just take the spirally-looking pattern from Arena Ferox:

As for the colors, Basilio and Flavia's ensembles both seem to suggest golds and dark reds.

I took a look around some FE gameplay videos, because I knew that Ferox's throne room was part of a couple cutscenes. Lo and behold, I found this:
Spoiler :

One of us can get to vectoring that logo out - probably you, since I'm better with code than I am with art. And to make the logo pop a bit more in-game, we can probably replace the blue-ish purple color scheme with the dark red and gold one you suggested.
Meanwhile, I'll get to making some XML files for the uniques we decided on.

Well, color me surprised. I guess we do have a logo, after all! Vectoring is easy; I should have I logo up as soon as I get my main computer back from a certain family member who is currently bingle-playing Borderlands 2. -_-

It's cool, and a way to incorporate both Khans and the power-shifting thing they do, but also pretty difficult, and I don't know how the AI would handle a thing like that. I'm not discounting it yet, though - it's still cool and can work right if we put the right work into it.

I don't really know anything about Fire Emblem myself, but I do enjoy reading these threads to see people's ideas, so I figured I'd toss in my thoughts on this. :p

I think the UI would be the tricky part, but I think you could do something like that, depending on how extensive you wanted the different Khans' UAs to be. You could look at JFD's Lincoln for a basic idea -- part of Lincoln's UA is that, when you go to war, you get to "make a speech" and effectively choose a dummy policy for the civ to have during the course of the war. So you could do something similar, every so often you pick which Khan you want, and they provide a set of dummy buildings, dummy policies, or other Lua flags that can affect things like building costs or production or whatever else you wanted to manipulate. So one Khan could increase military production, while the other reduces the cost of defensive buildings, or something.

As for the AI, what you'd have to do is include some code to help the AI decide which strategy it wanted to follow -- or, worst comes to worst, make it purely random. That's how JFD's Lincoln works as the AI -- it randomly chooses which "speech" to make.

Personally, I like the top right banner/color scheme myself. While the particular banner itself may be blue, Ferox in general is mostly red and gold, and I think it's more appropiate hencewise.

Also, got a new avatar since I posted here. Much more Fire Emblem related :p

Thanks for the feedback on the (admittedly alpha) icon! I'm probably going to blow up and refine the wolves, so that there's less of the awkwardly long line and more awesome-looking wolves. And now I know to do that in red and gold. =)

Also, nice avatar! =)
That AwkwardZombie comic was the greatest.

Top Bottom