Altered Maps 3: The rise of the Basque Empire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mad Man 2.0:

I guess in Romania you probably tried to divide the current border between the 3 historical principalities - in that case, the eastern part of the border between Moldova and Wallachia is rather screwed up. :) Either you put Dobrogea (aka Dobrudja), the eastern "tail-like" thing inside Wallachia, or you make it independent - it was never shared between Moldova and Wallachia, being first under the control of the Byzantine Empire, then briefly independent, then Wallachia, then the Ottoman Empire, then again Wallachia, and then Romania.

Also, although not that much, the western border between Wallachia and Transylvania is also not really good - again you gave too little to Wallachia and too much to Transylvania.

Here's how the three principalities looked like (map from 1600, the date of the first unification):
Spoiler :

Here's Wallachia in 1390, under Mircea the Elder, aka Mircea cel Batran (including Dobrogea, as it was under Wallachia control at the time):
Spoiler :

And here's the territory of Wallachia-proper superimposed over today's border (without Dobrogea):
Spoiler :

So either you include Dobrogea inside Wallachia, or you make it its own region. Splitting it between Moldova and Wallachia makes no sense from any point of view I can think of. :)

So either you include Dobrogea inside Wallachia, or you make it its own region. Splitting it between Moldova and Wallachia makes no sense from any point of view I can think of. :)
How 'bout equanimity?

Since I'm here, may i ask what that brown and purple stuff in Poland are?
the brown part was my horribly failed attempt at making a Silesian state and the purple part is Krakowskie
@Mad Man 2.0:

I guess in Romania you probably tried to divide the current border between the 3 historical principalities - in that case, the eastern part of the border between Moldova and Wallachia is rather screwed up. :) Either you put Dobrogea (aka Dobrudja), the eastern "tail-like" thing inside Wallachia, or you make it independent - it was never shared between Moldova and Wallachia, being first under the control of the Byzantine Empire, then briefly independent, then Wallachia, then the Ottoman Empire, then again Wallachia, and then Romania.

Also, although not that much, the western border between Wallachia and Transylvania is also not really good - again you gave too little to Wallachia and too much to Transylvania.

Here's how the three principalities looked like (map from 1600, the date of the first unification):
Spoiler :

Here's Wallachia in 1390, under Mircea the Elder, aka Mircea cel Batran (including Dobrogea, as it was under Wallachia control at the time):
Spoiler :

And here's the territory of Wallachia-proper superimposed over today's border (without Dobrogea):
Spoiler :

thanks for the maps:goodjob:,and yes I was trying to divide Romania in to it's historical principalities. So for my to do list fix Poland and Kosovos borders and make Wallachia beefier.

That's funny, Transylvania pretty much exactly lines up with the heavily Hungarian part today. Is that a coincidence?

That's funny, Transylvania pretty much exactly lines up with the heavily Hungarian part today. Is that a coincidence?

No, surely it doesn't have anything to do with that Transylvania was part of Hungary for the last 1000 years :) And no, it doesn't really coincide. Hungarians are a majority only next to the border and in the "tip" of Transsylvania :)

Well, it's not like 900+ years of Hungarian or Austro-Hungarian domination over the land would have anything to do with that. :p

The only times when Transylvania was not inside the Kingdom of Hungary or Austria-Hungary were:
1) while it was independent
2) while it was inside the Ottoman Empire
3) while Hungary basically ceased to exist, divided between Austria and the Ottoman Emire, their elite actually surviving only in Transylvania
4) for a veeeeerrrrry brief period (less than 1 year) in 1600 when together with Moldova it was "united" with Wallachia

Which amounts to very little in such a long period of time. :)

However it really doesn't seem to me like it coincides with the Hungarian areas - it's only the south-eastern part and a thin line along the border...

Transylvania (today):
Spoiler :

Compare with:
Areas where Hungarian is a co-official language (meaning wherever Hungarians/Szekelys represent more than 15% of the population):
Spoiler :

How 'bout equanimity?
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean... Are you saying that I'm too stressed? :) Or what?

Most of the cities in CivIV on a map
Spoiler :

Portugal is the only country with colonies in the city-list.

Attachments

• civcity.PNG
    civcity.PNG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,861
Interesting, what are those 3 HRE cities in Poland?

Also you didn't take into factor the fact that some cities moved substantially over the period of time.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean... Are you saying that I'm too stressed? :) Or what?
Maybe I shoulda said egalitarianism. :p

Most of the cities in CivIV on a map
Spoiler :

Portugal is the only country with colonies in the city-list.

Cool! The Native American city list in that game is so ******ed.

EDIT: What's the Aztec city near the US-Mexico border?

That map proves the need for Polish-Lithuanian civ. And perhaps swedish. It'd fill the void between Russia and Germany, as Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Poland, Latvia, Kaliningrad oblast and even Estonia were part of it. Moldova was a fief too.

Plugged in laptop :D

Instead of Swedish civ, a general 'Scandinavia' would be better. Perhaps fuse Vikings into that as well.

Yes. Instead of "Vikings," they should have "Scandinavia," which should have Canute and also an early modern leader such as Gustav II Adolf as leaders.

That map proves the need for Polish-Lithuanian civ. And perhaps swedish. It'd fill the void between Russia and Germany, as Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Poland, Latvia, Kaliningrad oblast and even Estonia were part of it. Moldova was a fief too.

Kaliningrad oblast has belonged to Germany, Prussia, Livonia, or the Teutonic Knights from the High Middle Ages to 1945. And there's a bigger gap in Australia.

Interesting, what are those 3 HRE cities in Poland?

Also you didn't take into factor the fact that some cities moved substantially over the period of time.

Stettin (Szczecin)
Kolberg (Kołobrzeg)
Breslau (Wrocław)

The location of the cities are approximate, especially if they are far away from any borders or coast.

What's the Aztec city near the US-Mexico border?

The Aztec city Chiauhita must be a city of the Chihuahua tradition culture. The other city out of place is Chalchiuites, that never were an Aztec city.

The Vikings also have a "colony" in Newfoundland.

I like how the Netherlands is just one big orange spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom