Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Portugal was a vassal of Spain between 1580-1640, perhaps working towards that might make things interesting.
The Netherlands was a Spanish vassal until their independence fight in 1568. Perhaps make it so the Netherlands starts off as a vassal to an AI Spain.

The vassaled Netherlands spawn would be quite nice if it can be done with scripted independence in 1568.

The vassaled Netherlands spawn would be quite nice if it can be done with scripted independence in 1568.

I wouldn't script it to be independent, but I think it should come naturally around that time.

The Mesoamerican civilizations, Corea, Mali, Khmer & Indonesia will vassalize all too readily.
But that is normal and I don't think should be changed. As they normally don't amount to much;
vassalization helps them survive and contribute something.
I once had a Rome game where I had Inca as a vassal; I tried actively to keep them less advanced,
but they managed to catch up to me and overtake me briefly before Future Tech, without Internet.

Big civs like China, Russia & Mongolia no longer vassalize as much or at all,
even if they're down to about one city/on the brink of collapse from being under siege and you've got Astronomy.
The rebirthed versions, while usually weak, will never vassalize to the player and usually end up vassalized to someone else like Mongols or Vikings.

Most of the European civs will fold/vassalize under normal parameters.
Yeah, pretty much.

Although I think Leoreth toned down Mali's inclination to vassalize ages ago (they used to vassalize on Pleased, iirc, as was the Mansa Musa in BTS). They now vassalize in only about 10% of the game I play. Usually when I roll an American start Mali is independent and doing well.

1) What do you mean by unrealistic?
I mean when I play as Russia, my foreign policies are more like the historical Netherlands and England. That's unrealistic.

Conversely, when TD play as China, his foreign policies are more like the historical Rome and Ottomans. That too, is unrealistic.

Unrealistic strategies should lead to unrealistic results, IMO.

I've toned down the religious diplomacy penalties for Justinian, Hongwu and Abbas. Abbas doesn't care about religion at all now, and instead gets more angry when you've got close borders with him to create some trouble with the Ottomans. He and Justinian also like to OB more. Toku actually was more inclined to vassalize than to OB which I thought was kinda funny, I made both the same instead.

I also tried to remedy the tech trade problems in the classical age a little by giving most involved leaders lower thresholds after which they stop to monopolize techs (they start trading after a certain percentage of civs knows them, but due to the existence of certain backwards civs I assume they were often not passed). The "you can't trade away monopolies" rule now only applies to human China, most of their leaders (except Taizong to model the medieval tech exchange) have high thresholds anyway.

Let's see what comes of that. I will also look for some way to make the Middle Eastern civs trade more despite the religious differences.

Edit: by the way, is there any civ where you feel they capitulate (not vassalize) too easily/rarely? Because then I could change that too while I'm at it.

Edit2: Several leaders, especially of classical and muslim civilization, will now only outright refuse to trade techs if you're furious. Suleiman and Saladin are more open to trade techs in general and have less dislike for other religions. Mehmed and Abu Bakr are more isolationist still.
Thanks! That would make the game much more enjoyable for me.

The Netherlands was a Spanish vassal until their independence fight in 1568. Perhaps make it so the Netherlands starts off as a vassal to an AI Spain.

I happen to know something about the subject, and actually the Netherlands only were a Spanish vassal for 13 years: before then they were a part of the Habsburg empire, including the HRE, Spain and parts of Italy. So actually a HRE vassal would be more fitting (not to mind that the current leaderhead for the HRE in that time period, Charles V, wanted to make the Netherlands the center of his empire and that it was only when his son Philips got to power that relations soured).

Many thanks to Leoreth for a great mod:
Quick question (and I hope this is in the right place) - does the current requirement for Russian to have a railroad from Moscow to a Siberian port imply that the Russian player has to found Moscow or is it simply the capital?

You need Moscow. It doesn't need to be your capital though.

I find it more difficult to capitulate civs in a war now; I'm not sure if it's either that my war successes are low, even though I rip through cities or just some increased AI reluctance to vassalize overall, but the only vassals I've been able to get lately are the weak ones. Since you asked about civs and their vassalization inclinations anyway.

You need Moscow. It doesn't need to be your capital though.

That's too bad. I get why some UHV's require particular capitals, when a big part of the challenge is managing a particular location. This UHV doesn't strike me as one of those. Certainly having a railroad in the Moscow tile, if one doesn't want to have that particular city, should be enough.

Getting lots of hangs on the current version

What was the inspiration in choosing Francis I to be a leader for HRE and not his wife, for example? True, Maria Theresa became HREmpress by marriage, but in late days of HRE (close and after the Prussian spawn) HRE acts as a Austria anyway. Francis was unremarkable leader by any standards, he gave up his position as a head of the army, was complaining that he was a guest at Vienna court and overall was overshadowed by his wife. We don't have that many female leaders, so why loose this opportunity?

I also have to mention that from what I've observed, civs are very reluctant to vassalize now,
even when under siege. Even if you have good relations with the target civ and have a high power rating and no wars, they'll still stubbornly hold out.
There are a few exceptions such as England & Egypt, but everyone else can even be down to one city and they won't ask for your help.
Leoreth, can you look into it?

What was the inspiration in choosing Francis I to be a leader for HRE and not his wife, for example? True, Maria Theresa became HREmpress by marriage, but in late days of HRE (close and after the Prussian spawn) HRE acts as a Austria anyway. Francis was unremarkable leader by any standards, he gave up his position as a head of the army, was complaining that he was a guest at Vienna court and overall was overshadowed by his wife. We don't have that many female leaders, so why loose this opportunity?
I'd love to use Maria Theresia, but unfortunately there are no appropriate graphics for her.

That leaderhead is called Maria Theresia, but I don't see any similarity at all.

Yeah, I planned to add both of them and Basil II before release.

By the way.. I just roll a Prussian game.

1) Is the requirement to "control Russia" is controlling all of tiles in tNormal Areas for Russia or what? I don't understand the code; yet I think if so, isn't it too big to control up to Magnitogorsk? Why don't create the UHV to checklist if control like area of Kiev/Novgorod/Moscow only? Russia have around 14 cities atm and I have to raze all cities but Novgorod to make it checks out :(

2) Dutch is abusing the resources. She train 2-3 stacks of War Elephant in Amsterdam, while the only source is the under-developed city in Ivory Coast. I see when I raze Amsterdam, the capital moved to New York and still training War Elephant there.

3) Two Phytex

4) How about a new dynamic name for European civs when they no longer have capital in Europe? I drive the Spain out of Europe and got capital at Manila. I think the capital name should be changed to Republic of Philippines, No? ;) The same for French > Canada, England > Ireland

5) Perhaps a "William the Conqueror" event for AI England if a vassal of Viking? Once they're under Viking hand, they don't develop. Even after I collapse the Viking (Sweden) in 1800s, my Spy told me that they're still researching Paper.

6) I wish once the capital changed to Stockholm and the name dynamically changed from Viking to Sweden, the tile denomination too. And also when they collapse.. it shouldn't be "Viking civilization blablabla" anymore :)

^Wow, Portal first in score. Don't see that much.

They apparently played very cool. They control cities in Brazil, Barbados, Yemen, Oman, Southern India, Sri Lanka, and Malacca (ceded to Thai on Congress).

Or perhaps it's because I drove Spain out of Europe and give all their cities to Portugal :mischief:
Strangely though, Madrid is not founded and Spain's capital was Cartagena.

Top Bottom