leaderboard rank reset

zsozso

Chieftain
Hi All,
I've seen some mentions about people's rank being reset on the leaderboard and it just happened to me yesterday. I am relatively new to online playing, had 14 wins + 9 losses Sunday morning with a 122 position, then I won 3 ranked games in a row. After that I went to check how much I advanced and was shocked to see that I am at roughly 8000 position with 1200 score (default, same as people with 0 games). However, the number of wins/losses did not get reset, but instead they got updated with an error 16-10 instead of 17-9. Clearly, there is a bug in the administration software and there is not much we can do about that. However, it would be very useful to figure out what conditions, circumstances trigger the bug, so we can be careful to avoid it.

So, my guesses based on my experience:

1. It maybe related to short time between result updates, as it happened to me 2 victories happened with fairly short time differences because the opponents just quit early (2 Aztec's failing to rush me they decided to give up). It was about 10-15 minutes between 2 victories.

2. I checked the standing only a few minutes after the last game ended, this might be the trigger if it happened at the same time the software was trying to update the result. I read that if you check the board before playing any MP game, then your score starts from 0 instead of 1200, so obviously there is a bug with the checking, so maybe this one is also related to that.

3. A very strange thing happened in the last game: a player quit and re-joined the game as a different civ 3 times! I did not know such thing was possible in a ranked match. First he started as Aztec and attacked my capitol in 3600BC with a warrior and he lost (I also had a warrior defending), then he quit, but a minute later re-joined as the Russians coming from the same location - killed his warrior again few turns later closer to his capitol, then he quit and re-joined the game again this time as the Romans. By that time I was close to his capitol, attacked and killed a warrior. Although, I did not get the city (he had another defender), he quit again and did not come back.

I do not know how this last strange re-join could be related to the rank reset, but this was the last game I played before checked the board and the experience was bizarre so I list it as another option here. Players, who have experienced rank reset, please post unusual, strange circumstance that you remember happening in the games before you noticed the rest. Also whether you had similar situations to the above listed to support any of these guesses for the cause.

Thanks!

1. this might have something to do with it, I've had a reset that happened like this, but it doesn't happen everytime you get quick losses.

2. On PS3, if you check the leaderboards before it's logged your games, then you will have a 0 rating most of the time. But sometimes you'll get the 0 rating bug regardless, but if you check the leaderboards beforehand, you're almost always assured to have a 0 rating. I recommend waiting at least 30 min before checking, or play a few games. There is no 0 rating bug on Xbox to the best of my knowledge.

3. Are you sure this game was ranked?? You can do this in unranked, but I have never witnessed it in ranked after over a 1000 games. But I've heard others alledge the same thing. Sometimes you can accidently choose unranked and not realize it. Was this game H2H or FFA?

On PS3, the leaderboards are broken. You shouldn't bother with ranked too much. The PS3 guys on 2K forums have a text chat lobby on PSN that you can get invited to, and they are quality players always looking for a fun match, and they are better players than you will ever see in ranked matches on PS3. Add Dio3d, Madjinn, or Raw_Jos and they'll let you into the lobby. They are always doing fun matches.

On Xbox, the resets seem to be random. Though I've heard some rumors that people have been able to complain about freezers and getting their ranks reset. On Xbox, if you are inactive for more than about 10 days, your rank will reset. On PS3, your rank never resets. I haven't played a ranked match in about 5 months on PS3, and I may still be in the top 10 on H2H there. I was #2, and won a game that should have put me to first place, but it dropped me 50 points, and the next game I played it dropped me about 100 points, so I stopped playing ranked there and got the game on Xbox, which is waaaay better than the nightmare that is PSN/Gamespy multiplayer for CivRev.

Don't care, I got like 10 resets, while I should have been first in h2h for almost one year.. I was also top3 in ffa but got a lot of bugs (also in h2h).. This game is a beta..

Thanks for the info GGrayson!
It was on PS3, I do not have xbox. And it was FFA. I am pretty sure it was ranked game, because the game ended with "Domination victory" as soon as the last human player quit -- even though I did not take the capitols. Player games (just for fun) do not end when all human opponents leave, the game continues as single player game until a victory condition is reached.

There are definitely many problems with MP on PS3, about 1 in 5 games end with freezing. First I started playing non-ranked games, but it was no fun, because most of the time all human players droped out within 10 minutes and then it was just a single player game. I found that on ranked games the players have a bit more willingness to fight.

Well the leaderboards are run by GameSpy, and GameSpy is notorious for being incompetent.

I was #2, and won a game that should have put me to first place, but it dropped me 50 points, and the next game I played it dropped me about 100 points, so I stopped playing ranked there and got the game on Xbox, which is waaaay better than the nightmare that is PSN/Gamespy multiplayer for CivRev.

Did you quit the game and/or turned off your console right after your victory in those cases, by any chance ? Similar things have just happened to me last weekend twice (game I won counted as a loss with lots of points taken away from me). In both cases when this happened, I turned off the system soon after the game ended. So, I am speculating that this bug may be triggered by such event, maybe the GameSpy server did not get the info yet or tries to connect back to the winner's console for some data and when it cannot establish connection decides that you must have quit and gave up the game.

no, on PS3, it would be at random times when I'd get the point drops. It def wasn't related to turning off the console.

I had one night with one of my accounts that I won a few games in a row, and each time it dropped me 20 points. It just seems like there are nights when it's best not to play ranked. If the servers are especially buggy and have a lot of freezes that night, the leaderboards usually act up as well. But the leaderboards can get screwy even if the gameplay is running smooth on ranked mp.

PS3 MP is broken beyond repair, and I wouldn't put any stock into your ranking. All the top players I know on PS3 have stopped playing ranked for the most part, though some still create new accounts and play for a while, till it starts taking longer to find matchups.

Xbox MP is almost working, but still has its problems.

PS3 MP is so much worse on every level. Unless you have some friends that you can meet up with in text chat lobbies, then you do have to play ranked to get some serious matches in. But they really don't mean anything. To maintain a top rank on PS3, you've gotta be lucky for no resets or point stealing, you've gotta be willing to wait out freezes till the other guy leaves, which is not an honest way to win and leaves me feeling crappy, most people suspect the other is freezing the game, so they'll try to wait it out too, even if you are killing them. Then you've got to get lucky and not run into freezers, and then have the patience to wait forever for matchups once you get highly rated since it takes forever once you start building in rank.

For all those reasons, you should try to divest yourself from the PS3 leaderboards, because it's not really what's happening, and is very very innaccuate and buggy. It's a hard thing to do, since once you start climbing you wanna improve your standings, it's a great motivator to keep playing the game. But it's all for naught, and you'd be better served hooking up with some of the good PS3 players and finding their text chat lobbies to get in quality matches.

Hi All,
I've seen some mentions about people's rank being reset on the leaderboard and it just happened to me yesterday. I am relatively new to online playing, had 14 wins + 9 losses Sunday morning with a 122 position, then I won 3 ranked games in a row. After that I went to check how much I advanced and was shocked to see that I am at roughly 8000 position with 1200 score (default, same as people with 0 games). However, the number of wins/losses did not get reset, but instead they got updated with an error 16-10 instead of 17-9. Clearly, there is a bug in the administration software and there is not much we can do about that. However, it would be very useful to figure out what conditions, circumstances trigger the bug, so we can be careful to avoid it.

So, my guesses based on my experience:

1. It maybe related to short time between result updates, as it happened to me 2 victories happened with fairly short time differences because the opponents just quit early (2 Aztec's failing to rush me they decided to give up). It was about 10-15 minutes between 2 victories.

2. I checked the standing only a few minutes after the last game ended, this might be the trigger if it happened at the same time the software was trying to update the result. I read that if you check the board before playing any MP game, then your score starts from 0 instead of 1200, so obviously there is a bug with the checking, so maybe this one is also related to that.

3. A very strange thing happened in the last game: a player quit and re-joined the game as a different civ 3 times! I did not know such thing was possible in a ranked match. First he started as Aztec and attacked my capitol in 3600BC with a warrior and he lost (I also had a warrior defending), then he quit, but a minute later re-joined as the Russians coming from the same location - killed his warrior again few turns later closer to his capitol, then he quit and re-joined the game again this time as the Romans. By that time I was close to his capitol, attacked and killed a warrior. Although, I did not get the city (he had another defender), he quit again and did not come back.

I do not know how this last strange re-join could be related to the rank reset, but this was the last game I played before checked the board and the experience was bizarre so I list it as another option here. Players, who have experienced rank reset, please post unusual, strange circumstance that you remember happening in the games before you noticed the rest. Also whether you had similar situations to the above listed to support any of these guesses for the cause.

Thanks!

hi Guys,

i have just had the misfortune of this happening to me as well.. i was 26th (down from 13th) and had just won two in a row only to check back (immediately as well )to the rank board and find myself around the 3500th level..

words cannot express the feelings and horror of devoting months to attaining a decent rank only to find that a few chimps at gamespy didnt do their jobs properly!! WTF??? does it ever fix..?

much appreciated..

AndreusSpartikus

hi Guys,

i have just had the misfortune of this happening to me as well.. i was 26th (down from 13th) and had just won two in a row only to check back (immediately as well )to the rank board and find myself around the 3500th level..

words cannot express the feelings and horror of devoting months to attaining a decent rank only to find that a few chimps at gamespy didnt do their jobs properly!! WTF??? does it ever fix..?

much appreciated..

AndreusSpartikus

Well, it won't ever fix itself (you won't ever get those points back). You usually will be able to keep your wins and losses, but your rating drops to 1200 w/ a reset, plus or minus points from your last game from winning or losing.

Random resets suck. If you play enough, you'll get them. i've had so many, and so have a lot of the top players. I don't think we've ever been able to establish a common thread as to why they happen, thus why we label them "random resets". On PS3, your rating doesn't reset due to inactivity, but on XBOX 360, your rating and all your stats will completly reset if you don't play at least once in about 2 weeks.

About the only bright side about getting reset that I find is that the climb is often more enjoyable than getting to the top ranks and sticking there. i've been in the top 10 many times on both systems, and usually it's less fun playing whenever you are so highly ranked. I don't like playing for rank only, and protecting rank starts to feel like work and causes me to play anxiously a lot of times. I do enjoy climbing lots of spots every night that I play, instead of not moving too much whenever I have a higher rank. Each time I start my climb back into the top ranks, I tend to do it a little faster, probably because I get better in-between resets or new accounts or whatever. It's another way to stay competitive with myself and keep the ranked game fun and fresh for me.

The other "glass-half-full" type train of thought I get when I'm starting back from scratch, is that I often try to learn a few new civs. I'm pretty comfortable playing with most civs, and have had 5 different ones in the top 10 at one time or another. Often when I get highly ranked, I tend to rely on just a handful of civs to protect my rank, and this cuts down on my enjoyment of the game, because there is less variety, and I've already won hundred of games against noobs w/ the Chinese, Americans, and Spanish, so it's not to fun to pick those civs just so I don't drop points. Choosing to learn new civs, especially the weaker ones or the less popular ones is very enjoyable, and will make you a better player. Since i've learned to win with the worst of the worst civs, it just makes me that much better with the power civs, and gives me a lot of confidence when I'm in tough spots.

Anyway, I hope you can still have fun playing this game, because it is a great game. Ranking does make it fun, but in the end, I still play this game because of the gameplay.

yip just experienced the same thing.. trying new civs is great and you definately become mre versatile.. one other MASSIVE bonus is that i have stopped caring so much about the rank so when someone inevitable freezes the game at some point, i feel alot more at ease just turning it off and starting a new game!

I play xbox and the leaderboards are broken to hell, with not registering wins and losses properly. Add that to crashes when you are winning and ragequitting when the RNG goes against you.

You would be best served by going to sleep at night warm in the memory of crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, whilst hearing the lamentation of their women

Top Bottom