Browd

Dilettante
Administrator
Browd submitted a new resource:

Ideology: Autocracy - Ideology: Autocracy

Autocracy
In order to get power and retain it, it is necessary to love power;
but love of power is not connected with goodness but with qualities that are
the opposite of goodness, such as pride, cunning and cruelty.
--Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoi

Introduction

Autocracy is one of three ideologies in the game. Each ideology includes 16 tenets, divided into three levels, that operate in the same manner as social...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
What is your recommended order for taking Autocracy tenets? I usually start with Futurism, and maybe even delay the Musician Guild until then.

Does the Prora happy buff count SP or only tenets?

Lightning Warfare - +3 Movement for Great Generals. Armor units gain +15% attack, +1 Movement and ignore enemy ZOC.
This is one of the best tenets in the tree. With the Kremlin and this tenet, an Autocracy civ can make much better use of armored units than other civs. Your armored units will be nearly impossible to slow down as they wreak havoc behind enemy lines.

The Autocracy player is not likely to have Kremlin. I guess they might work to capture it?

What is your recommended order for taking Autocracy tenets? I usually start with Futurism, and maybe even delay the Musician Guild until then.

Does the Prora happy buff count SP or only tenets?

I almost never take futurism because I consider tech steals, happiness, and cheaper units all better alternatives for a warmonger. As long as the order fits your needs at the time, it's good.

From what I've seen, prora includes all Sp's and tenets.

And ya, you can't build kremlin as autocracy, but like with the rest of the wonders, you just let others build it for you.

Prora does include all social policies (including tree openers) and tenets -- article revised to clarify that.

The Kremlin reference was intended to be in the context of conquering the city in which it is built (during your world domination campaign) -- article revised to clarify that as well.

As for Futurism, I can't ever recall taking that tenet in pursuit of a culture victory -- just as a defensive measure.

I almost never take futurism because I consider tech steals, happiness, and cheaper units all better alternatives for a warmonger. As long as the order fits your needs at the time, it's good.

Yes, start the tech stealing ASAP. The level 1 happiness buff is weak though, and cheaper units can wait until later. OTOH, 250 tourism is quite a good amount at the time ideologies unlock, but not really significant late game. It seems to me that if you are going to take Futurism, you want it early. But I almost always struggle with happiness until I get Prora, so I find Autocracy harder to play than Order or Freedom.

Gunboat Diplomacy is great once you get to XCOMS, You can spam 1-2 per city state and launch them to a nice fortified spot next door to each one to gain allied status with every City state in less turns than it takes to get to the next round of the UN world leader vote. Gold and missions will help remove any other holds the enemies have over them, and then victory is achieved without a shot being fired.

Yes, start the tech stealing ASAP. The level 1 happiness buff is weak though, and cheaper units can wait until later. OTOH, 250 tourism is quite a good amount at the time ideologies unlock, but not really significant late game. It seems to me that if you are going to take Futurism, you want it early. But I almost always struggle with happiness until I get Prora, so I find Autocracy harder to play than Order or Freedom.

The happiness bonus isn't too bad because puppets tend to prioritize those buildings, although i prefer elite forces if I don't expect an issue with happiness. Also, I'd take 33% cheaper units during any part of the game if I'm warmongering, the earlier the better. I just don't find futurism worth compared to the other choices available.

The happiness bonus isn't too bad because puppets tend to prioritize those buildings... I just don't find futurism worth compared to the other choices available.

Clearly you are better at early warmongering than myself! But the main cause of unhappiness is ideological pressure, and getting 10% tourism is much easier than doubling your culture output. So futurism can help a great deal with happiness.

As for Futurism, I can't ever recall taking that tenet in pursuit of a culture victory -- just as a defensive measure.

I did that once to get an achievement.

I like Autocracy when I am behind and losing but can grab Industrialism and quick factories for first choice of ideology.

You can grab Futurism and Industrial Espionage to quickly make up for lost time. Faster tech stealing will shore up your tech and Futurism will get you some fast tourism. It works best when you've ignored generating any Great Writers, Artists or Musicians.

At that stage people are only getting 10-20 tourism per turn and banging out the first two Artists and Writers doesn't take long and gets you a quick 1000 tourism with everyone.

If you are way behind in tourism Futurism can get you back into the game and set you up for a comeback culture victory with Cult of Personality, some war allies and a lot of city razing :)

Top Bottom